05/02/24 at 08:55:56 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
iso vs single (Read 7739 times)
Adrian D.
Ex Member

iso vs single
11/05/05 at 13:20:58

Hey all. my new sub amp is due to arrive saturday (unluckily without active x-over, which has to be sent from Tai- Shocked -wan and this means about 4 weeks waiting) and while i'm waiting for the amp i thought buying another of the cheapie woofer which i have in my db-10, use it single for a week to break-in and then clamshell my two cheapies.
is iso worth it ? dirt dawg said it is good when pushing the system to the ragged edge. steve said in an old post that iso halfes the distorsion. what do you say, is it a good ideea to buy another cheapie ? or save the money and buy a better sub ?

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Re: iso vs single
Reply #1 - 11/05/05 at 14:15:41

In a moment of semi lucid behavior and here anyway.
Cheapies can lead to more work and screwing around. I had a cupboard full of them, now the cupboard is much cleaner and the garbage is full. All the stuff I had or have cheapies in I switched or wish I had switched to better stuff.
I have got rid of nearly half of my audio stuff and still digging.
More stuff may make its way to the dump this week mostly E waste salvaged circuitry.

If your desperate,poor or just testing, its all you can do. Once you have options use them.

You will have more control with two iso loaded cheapies and they will be just cheapies that can handle more power. Is power handling the only issue?

How much more control are you going to have with two pieces of Shocked over a good one?

Get a good one and use it, If you still need another one wait and get another good one later.

Just my opinion, which is not worth much lately Undecided

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/05/05 at 14:31:42

Adrian,

I'm going with Gex on this one!

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/05/05 at 14:38:55

sorry to correct you gex, but iso doesn't mean increased power handling if you're talking about one of the woofers. each woofer will have the same power handling and the combo will need twice the power to get the same spl as a single woofer would.
my other option is to wait till summer and buy an infinity 1040w. if i'll choose this, i'll have a cheap woofer laying around because i don't have time to build a ported or sealed box for it so that i can sell it. i originally planned to build a wo and put two cheapies in it, but i'm not sure if i'll actually build it.
money and power handling aren't issues.
sq is all it's about right now.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/05/05 at 14:57:51

Adrian-you mentioned the ragged edge and  brought it up.
if I am wrong I am wrong don't be sorry.

I can pump more power through a iso loaded sealed enclosure without it distorting, but if you can't then whatever.

Two do not have to work as hard and less excrusion and distortion problems. Maybe Ive been lucky.

If your looking for twice the handling power, your right its likely not going to happen.

have a nice day,
I am off work now and can go home and get some sleep

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/05/05 at 16:36:13

I am soo confused I am gonna just respond to the first post....

If you have money to burn but don't want to buy the infinity, buy the cheapie.

If you are trying to save up for the infinity, but can't stand the cheapie's sound right now, buy another cheapie.

If you are content with the sound you got now, wait and buy the infinity.

If you are unsure, just wait for the infinity. You could pick one up, last years model 1030w,  from ebay or where ever for like 30-45.   I have 4 of the 1032w(the dual voice coil) and I am absolutely astonished at what they do..a very unknown killer.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/05/05 at 16:41:52

[quote author=J_Rock  link=1131200458/0#5 date=1131208573]I am soo confused I am gonna just respond to the first post....
. [/quote]

Hey j-rock its called the disapearing post syndrome and I kinda started it. Now I got a fix it.
No worries everything will be back to its normal confusing self in no time.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/06/05 at 07:29:25

i'm pretty hapy wth the sound right now, but i just wanted to experiment. the problem is that if i buy another cheapie, i'll just have two laying around when switching to an infinity.
btw, here are the cheapie specs (just in case it helps) :
qts : 0.47
vas : 86 l
fs : 34 hz
xmax : around 5mm
qms : 4.14
qes : 0.53
BL : 10.9 T*m

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 11/06/05 at 11:05:31

I would be interested in when you change things around and what results you have with Cheap Vrs "good".
One thing I have noticed on this forum is that some cheapies can make pretty good sound.
It's like the science of speaker building if you stick to the rules you pretty much win all the time. When you don't stick to the rules you pretty much lose, but there are those odd successes.
I liked experimenting and seeing what happens, and I have had the strangest successes, but I don't think I could count the failures, my fingers don't go that high.

It's fun but a huge waste of time after awhile. So following the rules is a lot smarter.

the fs is higher than a infinity
34fs/.47 = 72  50 and down for sealed is the ideal
car subs are usually middle ground for sealed and ported.

If your happy with the sound thats the whole purpose, who cares what anyone else thinks.

"good things happen amost all the time by mistake"

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 11/06/05 at 11:51:49

[quote author=gexter  link=1131200458/0#8 date=1131275131].................. but I don't think I could count the failures, my fingers don't go that high.
[/quote]
Gex,
I have discovered something that might help a little. When I'm standing the shower I can actually count to 21. Smiley

IP Logged
Hrappur
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/06/05 at 12:58:13

Ah finally proof why men are better at math than woman Smiley

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 11/06/05 at 16:16:48

Smiley