04/25/24 at 13:29:31 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
COPS! (Read 4622 times)
BIG_GEOFF
Ex Member

COPS!
10/21/05 at 02:36:48

Ha.  Well, i have to say that this was the first time anyone has ever put a complaint on me to the local state police.  I had my imperial in the garage, with the doors open (i think thats where i went wrong), and it was sorta loud so we could hear it out back where we were playing football.  Well, apparently it was loud enuogh to be heard loudly in my neighbors basemnt.  But get this, the trooper who came to "adress the complaint" was a trooper i knew because he was a coach at my school.  Luckily, it was just a warning, but i showed him the imperial and he was more enthused about seeing it and listening to it than he was mad. haha.  I geuss i lucked out.  man i love my imperial.  Anyone else have any stories similar to this sort?

IP Logged
jj420
Ex Member

Re: COPS!
Reply #1 - 10/21/05 at 18:55:43

no imperials in my story, but in my younger days, i did have the police at my house for noise violations.

It started out innocently, really, just a decfest style get-together for stereos.  About eight of my high school friends and i setr it up one day for kicks.

we had six house stereo setups inside, and four awesome car stereos outside.  We compared music, and speakers etc. for most of the day, at moderate levels both inside on the stereos and outside in the cars.  It honestly was barely enough to hear next door, but there was beer there too....

So, about 8pm another friend shows up from out of town, hes taking EET in college and he brought home one of his projects, a flea powered FM transmitter, good for about 1km and thats it.  Being a curious fellow myself, i asked to take it inside and give it a whirl.  I hooked it up to my CDP, disconnected the CDP from my amp and set the tuner to pick up the transmitter.  It worked really well on mine, so a buddy fired his up to, wouldnt you know... Snoop Dogg on two stereos at once perfectly in synch.  Thats where it got out of hand, soon there were six stereos pumping rap into the neighborhood.  It was getting hard to breathe inside with all of the excited air moving around so we opened the windows, that helped a lot, cause we were hot from the beer.

Well it wasnt long before some people ended up outside in thier cars, you can imagine what happened after the first one discovered that the FM transmission was extending outside the house.  The car stereos that were there were in the SPL class and were all quite loud, all had read 130db+ earlier in the weekend at a soundoff, which is good SPL at 3700'.  Anyways the total power of all the systems at the house, and in the yard that day was something stupid like

12KW

, all playing the same album in perfect synch.  It was SOOOOO COOOOOOL, that we just partied on and on, with all of them blasting away.

Later in the evening, say 10, we were all inside having a blast when BANG! the door comes flying open and four mounties come piling into the house.  The look on thier faces was priceless, apparently the complaint had stated only that the cars were too loud, so the sight of a living room FULL of wires and gear and more wires was the last thing they expected.  i was kinda mad, as i would be liable for the replacement of the door jamb, however the mounties informed me that they had been at the house for over a half an hour, knocking on the door to no avail.

They made us turn them all down, or off, and took the keys to the neighbors since we were all hosed eh!  Not a single charge was laid, even thoough we were in contravention of at least four by-laws, not to mention public drunkenness and posession of a transmission device not licensed for residential use (pre-FRS).  I think it was because of the sheer absurdity of the situation that we all walked away scot free.

Present at this event were (among others)

several prosound amps
at least three home subwoofers, none under 10" or 200W
A set of liquid cooled Pa from the 70's that were definitely underpowered that day
soundstream, kicker, RF and MTX in the cars
represented were JBL, nakamichi, sony, marantz, yamaha, more of a MiFi gathering really, but it was certainly loud.

anyone else?

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Re: COPS!
Reply #2 - 10/22/05 at 01:52:31

Teenagers! ....... Sheeeesh ...... Can't live with 'em ......... can't shoot 'em!

Just kidding.  :)

When I was that age we usually had a drum set, at least one electric guitar, and I brought my Kustom bass amp. It had 2 discrete channels and I put 2 Altec multi-cells and a Shure 4 X 12" vocal cab on one side and plugged in a couple of mics you've probably only seen in museums or recording studios specializing in "Vintage" sound. I drove a $200 car to carry a $1000 amp in. We usually invited the neighbors over and that helped some at first. I was too much into music to allow anyone to have beer around, didn't really care what the "heads" were doing either. So, when the cops came, we never got in trouble, they just sniffed around a little, gave a listen, and told us it was getting late and we should wrap it up by midnight. Then they went over to talk to the ones who were complaining for a while. They didn't mind kids having good, clean fun and as long as the complainers could be handled without calling in over and over and making the cops look bad, no big deal. No one at our get togethers was getting drunk, stoned, or stabbed, so there was no foul.
There was plenty of that stuff going on elsewhere (south Texas) to keep them busy.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print