03/28/24 at 13:00:08 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Project (Read 12579 times)
BIG_GEOFF
Ex Member

New Project
10/04/05 at 23:47:15

I already bulit a full sized imperial and i love how this thing sounds.  I have two alpine 6x9 type s speakers, 3 way, made for a car, and i have a lot of mdf board left over from my imperial build.  I was thinking i could just scale down the imperial dimensions, to fit these speakers, (to throw them in a smaller room in my house)  but im not sure how much i should scale them down since they arent circular.  its just random stuff i got laying around so i wont be spending any cash and the mdf will just lay aournd if i dont use it.  Does this sound like a decent idea?

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Re: New Project
Reply #1 - 10/05/05 at 00:16:03

That idea of yours is wholesome and red blooded, but I'm afraid it would be very difficult to make a small box that would work the same as an Imperial. Sell those "fancy" 6x9s and build another Imperial!

IP Logged
Hrappur
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/05/05 at 00:31:59

Another Imperial! Dirt you bass dog, you!  ;)

IP Logged
BIG_GEOFF
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/05/05 at 02:24:07

i would love to build another imperial but i have nooo where to put it.  Ha, currently, my imperial is in my bedroom which is wayy too small for an imperial, its about 10ftx15ft.  Im finishing off half of my basement for a rec room, where im going to put the imperial once the room is completed.  Plus, its gonna be  another 400 dollars for another imperial.  Just a few problems im facing at the moment.  If you guys got any suggestions for me since im "young", ha, i could use some expertise on what speaker to build next.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/05/05 at 02:37:12

With a second Imperial you could angle them towards your listening area and put your bed on top like a loft. Cheesy

IP Logged
footstony
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/05/05 at 02:53:42

Hey Big Geoff,

I built a half scale imperial out of cardboard

see here
http://au.geocities.com/footstony/half80.html

Highly recommended for a smaller speaker

Have fun

Regards Philip

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/05/05 at 04:32:24

[quote author=DirtDawg  link=1128469635/0#5 date=1128476232]With a second Imperial you could angle them towards your listening area and put your bed on top like a loft. Cheesy [/quote]

Why did I not think of that.
Gex

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/05/05 at 04:38:14

I would also lean toward the TL with the 6X9 find your Fs for the 6x9's and calculate your length.
However I think a modified Imperial horn would be forgiving in mods and a better chance of working right off. unless you know your TL's of course.

gex

IP Logged
stvcmty
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/05/05 at 05:20:20

Some one found this link:

http://www.studio-systems.com/audiofeatures/SeptOct2001/Folded%20Horn/105.htm

Using 2 6X9’s would be close to using 2 8” drivers.

The only problem with that article is the dimensions are not readable.

Stv

IP Logged
BIG_GEOFF
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/05/05 at 22:17:36

It would be cool to learn a littlemore about speaker box construction.  I just have to find a place to start and maybe catch up on a little reading.  Any suggestions?

IP Logged
footstony
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/12/05 at 01:49:47

Big Geoff,

you know not what you ask!
there is heaps of stuff on the net. I use google to find it all.

maybe start here at the single driver website. Lots of info and examples.  a nice section on horns including calculators.
http://melhuish.org/audio/

also check out articles at pass audio
http://www.passdiy.com/speakers.htm

for horn modelling go here:
http://www.users.bigpond.com/dmcbean/

regards Philip

IP Logged
richard03
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/12/05 at 21:25:15

try the www.speakerplans.com faq ...more based around pa stuff but still applicable.

btw does anyone know if the imperials have a phase shift around 90hz as all the classic scoop bins do ?

IP Logged
toxicbass
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 10/15/05 at 07:24:31

[quote author=richard03  link=1128469635/0#11 date=1129148715]try the www.speakerplans.com faq ...more based around pa stuff but still applicable.

btw does anyone know if the imperials have a phase shift around 90hz as all the classic scoop bins do ? [/quote]
it must have a cancellation at some point,due to the driver and horn in antiphase sometimes. It wont be a massive notch-as the horn is much louder than the driver radiation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print