Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/02/24 at 09:55:57 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Best way to hook up DB10 to a hi-fi stereo? (Read 8924 times)
johnny boy
Ex Member

Best way to hook up DB10 to a hi-fi stereo?
10/17/05 at 05:03:18

I am using the speaker level input on my plate amp to get the source sound to the woofer, and that is hooked up directly to Zen stereo output. Is this the best way to do it?

Does it affect the impedence at all for the Decware amp?

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Re: Best way to hook up DB10 to a hi-fi stereo?
Reply #1 - 10/17/05 at 05:18:03

Okay I will say I am not sure,,,,
but if your zen goes to the plate amp into the speaker high level inputs and then from the speaker outs on the plate amp to the speakers the load is unchanged on the Zen amp. the plate amp can take the low freq out of the signal to the speakers that are still driven by your zen.
Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
is this not how some of the plate amps are designed?  I have yet to use one.

all the plate amp is doing is taking a signal not adding load

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/17/05 at 13:30:30

You're right Gex,

I don't have a Zen amp either,    :(
but the way I would do it is from the Zen I would run 2 sets of cables.
One from the Zen to the main speakers and one from the Zen amp to the plate amp high level input. There will be no load change percieved by the Zen amp, but keeping the Zen amp and the main speakers on their own set of cables, as short as possible, will preserve the simplicity of the circuit between the Zen amp and your main speakers.   Smiley

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/17/05 at 14:12:02

the whole change in load is dependent on the load your sub amp has on the speaker level imput.  I have no idea what they normally are, since I just use RCAs.  But heres the deal:

if your amp has little to no load(100-0 ohms.) on the speaker level inputs, you need to wire it up: zen to plate amp to main speakers.

if your amp has a high load(above 100ohms) on the speaker level inputs, you need to wire it up: zen to plate amp, and zen to mains.

if your plate amp has a low load and you hook it up zen to plate amp, zen to speakers with two wires like DirtDawg suggests, the Zen will experience an even smaller load then the main speakers alone.  (this will happen even if the amp has a high load but will be a much more minimal drop in impedence.)

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/17/05 at 15:06:26

[quote author=johnny boy  link=1129525398/0#0 date=1129521798]Does it affect the impedence at all for the Decware amp? [/quote]

Before everybody starts to go around in circles over this simple question, let's think a little. What is the input impedance of the plate amps high level input?

If the plate amp input impedance is 8 ohms and your main speakers are 8 ohms you will have a total of 4 ohms presented to the Zen. No problem!

The only plate amp I have used had an input impedance of 600 ohms, which has no perceptable effect on the speaker output it is connected to. In fact if it is any where over 80 ohms you and your Zen amp can ignore it.

Use a separate cable to it so that you don't add circuitry to the Zen amp/speaker combination. That will still run your main speakers full range and the plate amp will be used as a "helper" for the lowest tones only. This will give you the least degradation of the Zen sound possible.

If you want to cross over higher to the plate amp/sub you will need to run the cable from the Zen to the plate amp then to your main speakers. However, that will add a quantity of non-Zen circuitry, but no real load, to your sound, and that would not be preserving the best Zen sound possible.  ;D

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/17/05 at 16:24:53

It seems pretty simple but I guess it is not.
I have yet to get one

check the resistance at the inputs on the plate amp. if it is 8 Ohms or higher # (less load)your okay.(( with the speakers connected to the outputs and the plate amp on and off.
If the Zen takes 4 Ohms then anything 4 and up is okay.
I have my doubt that there is a whole lot, but I have not used one yet.
The Plate amp is designed to run rca in or HL level in and out to the speakers on the speaker out. so you can have the low freq taken out the front speakers if needed.
The (load )would be small (high#).

I like the dual cable idea except the more connections and possible signal degradation( whoo big word)
the shorter, less connections and better quality cable the better over all.

I don't Know DD ,, whatever you figure I know will  work out fine.

I think it will be fine, but to be sure,its best to test it.
A zen is a wonderful thing why even risk problems

Gex

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/17/05 at 16:43:46

Throw this question up on the Zen Triode Support forum and see what the tubers have to say about the problem. ???

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/18/05 at 00:26:29

take: (Plate Amp Load * Speaker Load)/(Plate Amp Load + Speaker Load) to get the load the Zen will experience.

(R1*R2)/(R1+R2)

example: plate amp is 600 ohms, speakers 4.
600*4/604=3.9, Zen experiences 3.9 ohm load, AOKAY!  :D

If the above is to below your Zen's lowest suggested impedance, Zen burns out.

Chances are the plate amp has either a high load (or a non exsistant one with speaker level outputs that are full range, unaltered.)

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/19/05 at 06:23:49

yep pretty much!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print