05/02/24 at 04:13:26 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rattle in my DB10 (Read 10367 times)
johnny boy
Ex Member

Rattle in my DB10
10/10/05 at 03:27:57

So I followed the instruction and built the box. Overall everything is very square and very snug fitting.

However, I am getting this rattle sound and I am not sure where it is comingis from. Nothing in the box itself rattling. They are tight (glued, biscuit joined the all the boxes and used 8 screws to hold the inner slides aginst the outer box).

I think they are caused by air leak but I am not sure? I seem to remeber that when I was playing the speaker freeair that it made similar noise? Any idea?

It defintely is not swhoosing noise people talk about which I was told is airleak issue. This is defintely more of rattle, which sounds like it is coming from the speaker.

I am using Dayton 10" woofer with their 240 watt plate amp.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Re: Rattle in my DB10
Reply #1 - 10/10/05 at 04:20:06

does the dayton have a sealed or vented pole piece, if it is vented, perhaps you got a bit of something under the dust cap.  I had a very annoying noise in one of my 6 x 9s for a few days until I found a little piece of metal had fallen into the cone.

IP Logged
johnny boy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/11/05 at 19:24:41

It is a Dayton Quattro 10" which has vented pole piece. However, it has mash covers on it.

I talke to Parts Express and they are telling me that I have a defective woofer. The voice coil is mis-aligned. How often does this happen?

as far as I know the speaker made rattle noise brand new, when I just hooked it up free air to an amp to test it. I thought it made funny noise, but I thought the sound will go away once I put it in the box. I think the sound is much better in the box, but it does not seem to removed that rattle sound.

IP Logged
sparkplug
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/11/05 at 19:31:45

[quote author=johnny boy  link=1128914877/0#2 date=1129055081]

I talke to Parts Express and they are telling me that I have a defective woofer. The voice coil is mis-aligned. How often does this happen?

[/quote]

Not often.  parts express is a good company, and customer serverce is excelent.  They will have you a new driver in no time.

Jake

IP Logged
rock4016
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/12/05 at 14:59:55

I have been using the Dayton Quattro in the Deathbox for about 2 years now and have not had any problems.

Your replacement woofer should work fine.

IP Logged
HB Bass
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/12/05 at 16:23:03

Just to make sure, is your lid on tight?  I used 3, 1-5/8" long drywall screws in all 4 sides in my lid to eliminate a rattle I had when I only had 4 screws.  There is a LOT of pressure in the sealed chamber of this thing when you crank it up.  

My top fit very tight but when tuning it in the beginning at relatively low volume the top blew of with a loud BANG  ;D

IP Logged
johnny boy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/12/05 at 18:05:22

I hear the rattle with lid on or with lid off. The volume does not have to be loud at all. Once the cone just start to move, it makes noise. But why would rattle gets louder as I play louder?

IP Logged
HB Bass
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/13/05 at 18:59:19

It makes sense to me that if something is misaligned in the motor that the more power you apply the farther and harder it moves and the louder it would get.  

If it does it with the lid on or off then I would guess it is nothing to do with the construction.

IP Logged
johnny boy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/20/05 at 04:41:11

I got the replacement speaker today and I changed it out. Boom! the rattle is gone!! Smiley It sounds so much better now. No air leak issues either.

BTW, I think the crossover needs to be set pretty low otherwise the bass sounds a bit muddy. I am using 24db per octave crossover and it is working pretty well.

Using my speaker level input. I am max on the plate amp volume and the cross over point is probably around 80 hz.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/20/05 at 04:48:50

Smiley

IP Logged
HB Bass
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/20/05 at 12:37:48

Glad to hear it JB.  I have to run my 8" DB below 80Hz as well.  I guess "muddy" is the best description of the sound when I run it higher.  My head unit has LPFs of 50, 80, and 125Hz. I think it is a 12db/octave cutoff slope.  Sometimes I can run it at 80 but sure sounds "cleaner" at 50 most of the time.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print