Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 23:37:55 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WO32 forum activity... or lack of activity? (Read 16291 times)
Jonas
Ex Member

WO32 forum activity... or lack of activity?
08/23/04 at 17:32:05

How active is this forum when it comes to discussing the WO32 really? It seems to me its rather calm in here... no?
How many WO32-builders are there in the world? When browsing throug this forum its mere handful of names discussing it. Or?  :-/

I guess it's much about marketing and depending on how many people find their way to Decware and then spreading the info on and so on but when you read around on the net,  searching for the "ultimate subwoofer", this is one of the places one ends up in. Other places are of course fine brands with ready built subwoofers, often active ones such as SVS, Paradigm and so on. Has anyone made any "scientific" comparisons between a WO32 and lets say a SVS ? Or any other brand for that matter?

Just trying to get some activity in here, and perhaps creating some debate about good and bad about the WO32.

I apologize if this topic is an earlier discussed one but I thought that maybe a new thread would stir things up…

Me myself don't even own a WO32 yet but the I orderd the plans for it last week so before Christmas maybe  8)  (if you read this Devon, is it on it's way anytime soon?)

Any other Swedes here btw? Or any Europeans for that matter… ?

:) / Jonas

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Re: WO32 forum activity... or lack of activity?
Reply #1 - 08/24/04 at 04:09:34

i love bass,

i love my 32,

you will 2,if you build it right,use drivers with the 'right' specs,and a good amp/crossover.

its the best bass i have ever heard,and i get to hear it every day Grin

i dont know what a $5000 amp sub combination would sound like,but i would put my $500 sub amp (wo32/dbx xb140)combination up against it.anyday!...for money Wink

IP Logged
homeyhomes
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/24/04 at 05:44:38

I am still Building My Wo32.
The project was put on hold because I just had
to finish My 4 year old Panhead chopper project!

Now that the Bike is completed, I am back at the WO
project.  I have all the MDF cut and ready to nail N Glue.
But this weekend I am heading south of the border to Baja
for some Lip Pullin'

I am building the Sub at a friends Recording studio/Cabinet
shop. once it is done We will bring it in to the studio for a
frequency test and I will post the results.

I am first going to try some Klipsch 10" Aliminum coned
woofs. I am not real confident these are going to work
in this box but we'll see.  I may try some Peerless Or some
Vifa's later on.

I may end up using the ACEi SOS  (Subwoofer Optimzer System) cost: about $250.00
This unit uses a mic that plugs onto the SOS & identifies
room resonances & automatically adjusts filter parameters
to integrate the sub to the room.
The result is a flatter frequency response, lower extention,
& sound clarity.

Crossover is a Wellborne Reveille electronic 2-way,
with low pass  at 80HZ.

Each 10" Driver will have It's own Amplifier
2)  NAD 2155 Amps, Bridged Mono @250 watts each.

My goal is to have it tight & flat to 25HZ.

I Love good  tight Bass & a killer midrange. The highs are not
as critical to Me.  I have Killer Midrange thanks to Ed's Horns
& Decware amplification.
& Now I am hoping this WO Sub will do the deed.

I will give a full report after It's all dialed in to my listening room Wink

IP Logged
Jonas
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/30/04 at 10:41:54

Looking forward to your reporting homeyhomes!

A question now. (probably already discussed but I'm lazy...) Not starting a new thread though. Perhaps I should have? Anyway;

To use a lid or not to, yes that is the question Smiley
I suppose for the WO32 to do its job properly it has to be airtight, yes? If I put it faced down on a carpet I believe it would be rather sealed but depending on the carpet not completely hermetic. If using a lid attached with some screws and some kind of gasket a fully airtight compartment should be possible. The lid has to be made in such a way it can be removed easily for access to the drivers and perhaps the amplifier if it's put inside the box.

Comments?

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/30/04 at 13:42:29

mine is sealed,with gasket and screws,sounds great.i believe leaving a lid off and placeing it on the carpet lowers the q what ever that is and is proportedly the best option?

IP Logged
Jonas
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/30/04 at 18:22:59

I'm not sure I understood that  ???
Do you mean that a lid with gasket is the best way?

IP Logged
Tr3vWh0r3
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/30/04 at 20:57:30

If you remove the lid and have the carpet act as a "vero vent" I believe it is called, you will have a lower more natural sounding bass that really shakes the foundation. If you want to put a lid on it, you can then stand it up in a corner or on legs as a coffee table. The bass will be a little more punchy but still good, believe me. Its all a matter of what you want
try both, its easy to experiment without a lid and stick one on after.

IP Logged
barfind
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/31/04 at 07:36:08

Without the "lid" the wo32 will definitly go lower, and of course the larger coupling area to the floor will give more bass lift, not to everyones likeing for audio. With the "lid" on the wo32 will sound dryer, and you will have to experiment with placement if you want to get any room lift, but this also introduces room node problems. For this reason I built 2 which smoothed out the room nodes nicely.

Nigel

IP Logged
Jonas
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 08/31/04 at 10:44:43

Barfind; two of them with or without a lid?

I'm building one WO32 to try it out. If it falls to my liking I already have plans on a second one and then I will integrate them in the HT-room "stage" below my screen. Nothing more than the horn opening vissible.

IP Logged
barfind
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/31/04 at 10:53:19

lids on Grin lids off Embarrassed lids on again Undecided

IP Logged
pickaninny
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 08/09/05 at 15:10:01

There's a dbx XB-140 on E-bay.  Looks new and the guy has no reserve on it @ .99....  

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5797156739

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 08/09/05 at 18:25:09

[quote author=pickaninny  link=1093282325/0#10 date=1123596601]There's a dbx XB-140 on E-bay.  Looks new and the guy has no reserve on it @ .99....  

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5797156739 [/quote]

i switched my xb140 for a paradigm active x over and a older jvc amp, gives me more controll over everything.did you ever finish your wo32?

IP Logged
gmb2428
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/09/06 at 22:20:09

i just got one of these dbx xb140 amps from a friend, no sub, wanting to hook it up to a passive sub i have, anybody know how to wire up this amp.  i guess left right input goes to output from receiver, then outs on the dbx to left right front speaks, but the sub out has 2 channels, how do i wire that to 1 sub???

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/11/06 at 06:00:31

I just googled it
this may add to your confusion
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7596-0.html?forumID=60&threadID=58949&messageID=699...

if it has L/R stereo in from the receiver then it is feed by a High level signal..
if it has dual outs to the driver then I would use two drivers unless you know for sure that is is bridgeable..

Maybe I am missing something ?  anyway for what I think your doing thats my opinion...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print