Why do rectifiers blow? (Read 97 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Why do rectifiers blow?
05/23/24 at 18:55:38

Quote:
hey Team, I am the second owner of a Model SE84C+ that has sounded wonderful with my klipsch lascala and vpi front end. i was running the orginal tubes but due to a channel taking a while to warm up, i replaced the input and power tubes leaving the original rectifier tube. this past week that tube died. then i put in an RCA 5Y3GT then that tube blew in a few days yet sounded stunning untill that moment. im nervious to throw another tube at this amp at the moment till i can have the pin voltage checked. do you have a recommended voltage or amps or any measurement from each pin of the rectifier tube so i know if i need to mail in for service or it's just a run of tubes that were bad. thank you for all an any help your able to give on this project.

There is nothing wrong with the amplifier, transformers don't change voltage.  You have to remember that today's N.O.S. tubes are yesterdays rejects.  They are 50 to 70 years old and have been moved around hundreds of times in most cases as they trade ownership.  It is not uncommon for a fair percentage of them to fail for no reason.  New production rectifiers today only have about a 500 hour life rating, and most are made in China so again it is not uncommon for these rectifiers to also fail.  This is a reality of owning a tube rectified amplifier in today's world.   We all put up with it for the sound.  Get yourself some new rectifiers, perhaps move up to a more sturdy 5U4G.  Get more than one.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print