Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/20/24 at 02:08:17 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SPEC+ AP-UD1a Platter Sheet (mat) (Read 45 times)
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

SPEC+ AP-UD1a Platter Sheet (mat)
05/09/24 at 00:10:48

I just got the Spec+ AP-UD1a (unlike the original - non "a" model - slightly smaller so you don't pick it up with the record, and has center label indent). I've had it on the table for about four songs now.

It took a pressing that has always been disappointingly murky and one-note to me (Brendan Benson, Lapalco) and suddenly it has detail and actual soundstage. This is not a small improvement.

I was using a 1mm cork-rubber mat prior, which was the winner of 5 or 6 mat candidates on my Thorens TD-125 Mk II, ranging from a simple felt mat to a Funk Achromat. The mat I chose to use was maybe $20, and I probably overpaid for it. I add that detail to indicate that The AP-UD1a is not currently winning because it cost the most; it's winning because it it sounds substantially, impressively better.

There are so many spendy chances to take in this hobby, you really have to choose wisely, and sometimes you get it wrong. This could have easily gone that way. But this mat is instantly awesome. This is like a completely different pressing, with no other changes.

Recommended!

Note: I had double-sided tape on the platter with the cork/rubber mat, and left it on (still sticky) when I switched to the Spec mat. Sounds great, so I'm keeping it on.

Thorens TD 125 Mk II w/SME 3009 and ZYX Ultimate Airy Exceed; Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vestigal Arm and Grado TLZ; ZP3; CSP3; ZMA; ZSB; Mac Mini; Teac PD-301-X; Sorcer X4+; SDFB w/ Super Duper Sluggos; Decware cords and interconnects
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print