Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/19/24 at 22:03:21 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Soon-to-be Decware Owner - Help me choose speakers (Read 549 times)
bruinuclafan
Verified Member

Soon-to-be Decware Owner - Help me choose speakers
05/08/24 at 00:18:23

Hello all,

I'm new to the forums.  Thanks to a fellow forum member, I am soon to be the owner of a Torii Jr. v2.  I am building out a second system for my office and it's going to look like this:  Rega P6 (Hana ML) to Sutherland KC Vibe mkii to Torii Jr. v2 to ?  

I'm looking for bookshelf speakers for this system and am interested in the group's thoughts on speakers that will work well with the Torii.  I'd like to keep the cost under 2k and am more than happy to buy used.  Thanks in advance!

IP Logged
HiFi Bri

Re: Soon-to-be Decware Owner - Help me choose speakers
Reply #1 - 05/08/24 at 00:36:19

Congrats!

A few questions:

How big is your room?
Will the speakers be positioned on stands or on a shelf?

If you have the speakers close to the wall on a book shelf, you may want something front ported.

I'm also rocking a Rega/Hana/Decware system and highly recommend Omega Loudspeakers - especially for small to medium sized rooms.

SE84UFO | ZRock2 w 25th Ann | Rega P3 + Groovetracer Mods | Hana EH | Darlington Labs MP7 | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZSTYX Speaker Cbls | Omega Alnico Towers | Butcherblock Acoustics RigidRack
  IP Logged
bruinuclafan
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 05/08/24 at 00:45:02

Small room, and I'll be sitting fairly close to the speakers (probably 6 ft away).  The speakers will be on a kallax pretty close to the wall.  I will check out Omega speakers, thanks!

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #3 - 05/08/24 at 00:51:38

I’d look at Decware’s DM 945

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #4 - 05/08/24 at 03:14:09

I think there are several Decware bookshelf speakers that would be excellent choices: Tube Tots, T6 etc. Look at the speaker page on the site if you haven’t already.

P.S. USC fan since 1969, but my wife went to UCLA so I hope we can still be friends

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-XC
  IP Logged
Hearafter
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 05/08/24 at 03:46:18

Used Fritz Monitors are just an amazing speaker.  Especially the models with Scan Speak drivers.  New would be over your budget but worth every $. I picked up his Rev5 SE for $1400 about a year agofor my second system.  My older brother went to UCLA the Wooden Walton era.  I was always a UCLA BB and football fan not USC and their annoying band fight song that never ends🤣

Torii Jr V2
Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Bricasti M5 Network Streamer
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
bruinuclafan
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 05/08/24 at 05:58:25

Thanks guys!  Go Bruins!  We can still be friends James--nobody's perfect Smiley

IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 05/11/24 at 02:29:19

CA James!  Go Trojans!  You got a friend in me. Class of 83.
Bob

Altec 604 8K, Liionidas Silver 10/W-15,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th/Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800, SFDBs and future STR-1002)
  IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 05/11/24 at 02:30:34

I second Omega SAMs or DECWARE T6.  You can find a used Omega at a good price.
Bob

Altec 604 8K, Liionidas Silver 10/W-15,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th/Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800, SFDBs and future STR-1002)
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #9 - 05/11/24 at 06:17:05

Quote:
Posted by: kulafu      Posted on: Today at 18:30:34

I second Omega SAMs or DECWARE T6.  You can find a used Omega at a good price

Fight on!

But I will say this: I love my SAMs, but they are big and IMO need to be well away from the back wall to work their magic. If the OP needs something close to the wall I’d go with something smaller, or even better talk to Louis and get his opinion.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #10 - 05/11/24 at 15:00:48

I was in the same situation regarding speakers a couple of years ago. I took James' advice then, found a secondhand pair of Omega (SAMs) speakers online, and now consider that purchase one of the best ones I have ever made. My neighbor has the Decware T6s; I could compare them in my room for about a week while she was away. They, too, sound tremendous but less satisfying than the Omega.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
bruinuclafan
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 05/12/24 at 05:37:19

I do need to be close to the wall unfortunately.  This will be far from an optimal setup.  I'm looking at the Zu DWX actually.  Front ported and are marketed with the idea that they will not be placed optimally.  The proof will be in the pudding but with 60 days to try them not much downside.  Omega still in the running though!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #12 - 05/12/24 at 05:49:51

If you are serious about Omega speakers I highly recommend setting up a call with Louis to discuss your situation and see what he recommends. I bought my SAMs “off the rack” but he has been very helpful with solutions for many people.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #13 - 05/12/24 at 14:28:58

Lots of good recommendations from forum members. I’m going to go a different path here… since you are building out a second system, have you considered a really good pair of headphones?  I’m sitting here as I write this post listening to Bocelli’s “Sogno” Album on my Grado 1000’s and it’s a great experience.  If you own a CSP that doubles as a headphone amp…you are good to go.

When I hear “office setup”….I foresee the room acoustics becoming a limiting factor for you experiencing great sound.  The best part about headphones, is that it almost completely takes room acoustics out of the equation.  You will get great detail….especially though your vinyl rig and your new Jr.  

I picked mine up used for under $700 and it was a great investment.  I can’t believe I went as long as I did without them.  There are a lot of great headphones out there, and I went with the Grado’s based off of a forum members recommendation, and it was a home run.   If can audition a Decware system through a good set of headphones, I would give it a try.  

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 05/12/24 at 16:29:04

Hey Bruin,

If you pull the trigger on those Zu DWXs, keep us posted on your thoughts.
I'm also highly interested in them for a small room, nearfield situation with my Tori Mk IV.

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
mrchipster
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 05/12/24 at 22:40:56

bruinuclafan,

I agree that there is good advice here. I don't own Omega's, but I've only heard good things about them.

Having to place the speakers close to the wall limits it a little but I think you're on the right track with a front ported speaker. I haven't heard the new Zu DWX bookshelves, but I do own two pairs of Zu's. I own the Omen MkII-B floor standers (12 ohm, 97db efficiency) which have the same drivers and tweeters as the DWX it looks like. I was really happy with them and used them for about 5 years before I decided to upgrade to the Soul Supreme's (16 ohm, 101db efficiency). I imagine the DWX with the same drivers as the Omens would have a close sound signature to the Omens and something I think may fit well with your system. If you can spring for the superfly or supreme upgrade for the DWX it may be worth it and would roughly stay in your budget.

The Soul Supremes were a definite upgrade to the Omens since they use different drivers and internals. The 'supreme' upgrade of the DWX doesn't turn it into the Soul Supreme since the drivers don't change in the DWX with the upgrade but with the size and heft (40+ lbs.) of the DWX make them a very compelling choice.

I think the Zu's prefer some power behind them and your Torii will make them really sing and give all they have. You will probably get more slam from them than you could imagine once they're broken in.

I have my Soul Supremes paired with the UFO25 and although the Torii has much more power, the UFO25 gives me great sound but can't slam as hard as my old 100w sand amp. It also doesn't achieve high SPL levels, but I knew that going in when I decided on the low power/high efficiency route. What I gave up in slam and high SPL (I still get about 82-85db peaks at listening position) I got back in spades with tone, frequency balance, soundstage, and accurate definition of instruments in timbre and space. I would actually like to hear what the Souls sound like with a Torii. I think it would be exceptional. I went with the SET and I'm extremely happy with it. Of course, I can't help but think 'what if'.

Good luck with your choice and keep us posted.

SE84UFO25 - CSP3 (A-mods)
ZROCK2 (A-mods) - ZBIT
Cambridge Audio CXN V2 (ModWright)
Cambridge Audio CXC
Zu Audio Soul Supremes
VIABLUE IC's & Spkr cables ; DSR3 IC's
Audio-Technica TT
  IP Logged
bruinuclafan
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 05/16/24 at 04:52:59

Hey guys, thanks again for the info.  I got the DWX speakers in today.  I really like the sound, though they are a little bigger than I was expecting!  However, I am having a somewhat unanticipated problem.  I have a low hum that is audible when the speakers are not playing music.  The hum starts maybe 5 seconds or so after turning on the Zen Torii Jr. v2.  I tried swapping out the input tubes and even the rectifier tube, but it makes no difference.  The hum remains constant no matter what I do to the volume of the Torii.  I'm guessing this is a ground loop issue that is perhaps exacerbated by having very efficient speakers?  

I would very much appreciate any tips on how to deal with this.  It is essentially inaudible while playing a record so not the end of the world, but I'd like to solve it if I can.  

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #17 - 05/16/24 at 06:15:29

If you disconnect your source(s) and the hum goes away then you have a ground loop (most likely). There are a bunch of ideas for dealing with a ground loop: on the site, probably in your manual and on the internet in general. It isn’t convenient for me to do links ATM, but look around, they are easy to find.

If it doesn’t then there is something else good on. Maybe bad AC power, or EM noise. It might just be the inherent hum from your amp as well. How much time do you have on your amp? If it is new the tubes probably need some time to break in. New tubes can be noisy for anywhere from a few to a few dozen hours.

IP Logged
bruinuclafan
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 05/16/24 at 06:34:00

The hum is constant even with the sources all unplugged from the amp.  I did some searching in the forums and I have a few ideas to try.  I'll update after I try.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print