Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Phono preamp upgrade (Read 128 times)
Herbert Kelly
Verified Member

Phono preamp upgrade
05/02/24 at 17:07:37

Hi Folks,

So I think the next upgrade for me is going to be my phono stage, but I am open to ideas Smiley I heard a massive difference the last time I did.

So today I have Rega Apheta 3 --> Rega P8 --> Rega Aria MKIII --> SE84UFO25 --> Klipsch Forte IV

I am split between looking at a new Phono stage or getting a preamp. Of course the ZP3 +ZMC is something I am looking at and drooling over (the 2 year wait not so much haha) but wondered if others have other phono stages they love.

Thanks!
Herbert

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Phono preamp upgrade
Reply #1 - 05/02/24 at 17:21:44

Quote:
Posted by: Herbert Kelly      Posted on: Today at 09:07:37

...Of course the ZP3 +ZMC is something I am looking at and drooling over (the 2 year wait the 4 year wait (FIFY) not so much haha)....

I love my (non-Decware) phone stage. I got it from a very small Decware-ish company in Canada and it is similar to the ZP3:

https://www.mapletreeaudio.com/

Mine is a slightly different version with 12AX7 tubes instead of 12SC7s but overall I believe it would be a solid choice, esp. for the money. You'll also need a step-up transformer and you should be able to get one from Decware without the excessive wait. Mine is a Luxman, and the SUT + tube MM phono stage is (much) better than any MC preamp I've ever had, and I've had several.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-XC
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print