05/04/24 at 18:12:34 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZBit with ZRock3 (Read 180 times)
Dan259
Verified Member

ZBit with ZRock3
04/24/24 at 21:47:39

Hello, I just received my new ZRock3. I would say the bass response is a lot better compared without it. I’m wondering how Zbit will will further improve the sound quality since ZRock has considerable gain too like ZBit. I can see that some of you are using both.

My system:
Denafrips Arce - Denafrips Pontus II - ZRock3 - Cary Audio SLH 80 driving Harbeth SHL 5 Plus XD

Thank you for your help.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: ZBit with ZRock3
Reply #1 - 04/24/24 at 22:16:07

I first got a ZBIT because my DAC's RCA output was just over 1.2 volt and I needed the 2.4 volt that the XLR output provided--the ZBIT gave me full amp power and a bit more heft and slam. When I then added a ZROCK2, I was so pleased that the bass was better and I could ride the gain between the DAC output, the ZBIT output and the ZROCK2 settings.

If you have sufficient gain from the RCA output going into the ZROCK3 you probably won't get the biggest benefit I did from the ZBIT. That said you probably would have fun and would have some fine tuning possibilities for the system; if it doesn't hurt your wallet too much you may want to get in the queue.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dan259
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 04/24/24 at 23:23:30

Thank you Lon.
I checked the RCA output of Denafrips Pontus DAC  it says 2 volts. Do you think i can appreciate the difference?

Dan

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 04/25/24 at 01:25:03

I think you would experience a difference, and it would give you another layer of "gain riding" which could be beneficial. But it would be not as ESSENTIAL or deep a change as mine had been with a lower output from the source. Let's put it this way: I don't think you would be disappointed. And you could consider the Pinetree Audio device that is a lot like the ZBIT--it is actually default the opposite way to the ZBIT: RCA to XLR, but this shop will easily and for no extra charge reverse that to resemble the ZBIT, and they will also add a gain control as the ZBIT has, and the whole cost is less than half that of a ZBIT and the turnaround time is about three weeks order to shipping, sometimes less.

I have two of these--one with gain control, one without, and honestly they sound the same as a ZBIT to me. The owner is very responsive to emails and as nice as can be.

https://sites.google.com/view/pine-tree-audio/devices/se2b-single-ended-to-balan...
ced

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dan259
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 04/25/24 at 05:14:54

Thank you Lon,

I will consider your recommendation. It seems like it’s the same with ZBit.
May I know where do you usually set your ZRock, 3 oclock seems fine. Above that noise increases which is annoying.

At normal listening level I usually set my amplifier volume to 50% and ZRock to 3 o'clock but there is audible noise floor.

If I can keep amp volume to 10 o’clock and Zrock to 3 o’clock it’s actually dead silent. That is where I’m thinking if Zbit will increase volume keeping the noise level to minimum level?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 04/25/24 at 09:50:30

Dan,
I seem to have been forced to move my stereo to the room from hell, and I'm unable to add room treatment. I'm constantly seeking bass as the room seems to swallow it up. I generally run my source between 80 and 100 (no loss of resolution with this particular digital gain control) and my ZBIT about 70 to 80 percent and my ZROCK2 at 4 or 5 0'clock. I'm sure there is a little noise as a result, but it's not at all audible at listening position.

I get a rich and detailed and dynamic sound that I really marvel at and can tune and tailor easily to the quality of the recording.

IP Logged
mrchipster
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 04/26/24 at 17:55:23

Dan259,

Since most systems and rooms tend to be different, I'd just like to offer another data point.

I bought the ZBIT to connect to my streamer/dac's output XLR's and then to run it to my ZROCK2, which then feeds the CSP3 (A-mods) before going the UFO25. The modified streamer's RCA and XLR outputs are actually both 4V since they are transformer coupled and in parallel. I didn't need the ZBIT to increase the signal but to attenuate it somewhat. I'll actually run it anywhere between 2 and 4 o'clock on the dial (mostly about 3 o'clock) which the ZROCK2 seems to like better. (my guess is the voltage is about 3 to 3.5V at that point)

What the ZBIT actually brought to the table for me (besides the ability to tune the output voltage) was what it did for the high frequencies. It created a much smoother top end which I really appreciated. Without it there was some grain/grit/etch and the ZBIT could tame it somehow.

I have the ZROCK2 and not the 3 but the setting for me on the 2 is only at the 12:30 to 1:00 o'clock position.  (I think due to my room and the fact that my speakers don't seem to need extra bass).
Again, not using it so much for bass augmentation but for the complete frequency balance and uplift that the unit provides. (some people call it magic, lol)

In case you can't tell, I really, really like both units.  

Over the last 6 months I've experimented quite a lot with different combinations of signal chain (i.e. no ZBIT, no ZROCK and even direct to UFO25 from the streamer/dac ) and always come back to the full compliment. Something magical (there's that word again) about the synergy they produce together. I have my challenges with a buzz due to the ZROCK2 but when the gain structure is right it produces great textural sound with no noise/buzz heard at the listening seat.

I can't seem to place the ZROCK2 between the CSP3 and UFO25 (which would allow me to use both CSP3 inputs through the ZROCK) because the buzz is just too much no matter the gain structure) but it's not a problem for me since I can redirect connections easily.

You have a nice system and I'm sure the addition of most Decware gear would be beneficial when needs arise. Have fun with it and welcome to the forum!

SE84UFO25 - CSP3 (A-mods)
ZROCK2 (A-mods) - ZBIT
Cambridge Audio CXN V2 (ModWright)
Cambridge Audio CXC
Zu Audio Soul Supremes
VIABLUE IC's & Spkr cables ; DSR3 IC's
Audio-Technica TT
  IP Logged
Dan259
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 04/26/24 at 23:07:48

Thank you guys for your inputs. I went ahead and ordered Zbit. I just talked to Steve regarding the noise level. He said to use the output level control to of ZRock3 to lessen noise to the point that I can’t hear it anymore. I will try tonight.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print