05/04/24 at 12:34:51 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
UFO 2.1 Maximum Gain (Read 143 times)
Audiorick
Verified Member

UFO 2.1 Maximum Gain
04/24/24 at 14:23:54

Hi, I have been looking and cannot find my UFO 2.1 maximum DB gain. I want to use it to bi-amp and would like to know its max DB gain to help choose another amp that matches. I know I have the attenuation knob but if I choose another amp with more db gain it won't help. I would like to start on the same baseline for both amps.

Sorry if it is already in the posts and I missed it. Does anyone know maximum DB gain of my favorite little amp?

Thank you,

Eric

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: UFO 2.1 Maximum Gain
Reply #1 - 04/24/24 at 16:37:52

I don't recall ever seeing that number, so if that is what you need you probably should email Steve.

But, as a practical matter, and JMO/FWIW and all that, I think you may be over-thinking this. The gain from the amp is only part of the equation. Between the volume control on your source and the attenuation in your UFO2 you have a huge range of available output from the amp, which is what actually matters (along with the efficiency of the speakers). You can try it yourself (if you haven't already) by connecting the UFO2 to your tweeter and trading off gain from your source with attenuation in the amp. I would be shocked, shocked, if you couldn't find a wide range of settings that worked with any other amp of your choice. I recall a few other posters who have used UFOs in bi- or even tri-amp setups and the idea that the other amp(s) would not be compatible never came up. If it were me I'd be much more interested in finding an amp I "liked" vs. one with the right gain.

Good luck regardless, keep us posted with your journey.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 04/24/24 at 16:55:02

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #3 - 04/24/24 at 17:10:02

Quote:
Posted by: Lon      Posted on: Today at 08:55:02
James, FYI:

https://www.decwareproducts.com/se84ufo2

Does that show the gain? Maybe I'm being dense but I don't see it, and search doesn't find it either.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 04/24/24 at 17:51:08

No, I'm sorry, I thought you were unfamiliar with the model number, and there it is.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #5 - 04/24/24 at 18:17:01

No worries Lon. Though technically the answer would be the same for any (2 channel) UFO amp, possibly modulo the choice of VR tubes in the UFO25.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print