Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/04/24 at 04:07:12 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The ZBIT and what component to get for it.... (Read 396 times)
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

The ZBIT and what component to get for it....
04/22/24 at 03:26:38

Hi Decware Family,

I've recently picked up a ZBIT and I am ready to upgrade my digital front end.  Until now I've been simply using some average bluetooth to RCA concoction of which I forget the name.  It worked surprisingly good with Spotify but very annoyingly the device makes sound artifacts.  Tiny little crackles and pops and the like.  It's even more flustering because it is intermittent. I've heard from other members that the ZBIT really enriches their listening experience because of its ability to utilize the full signal voltage of balanced outputs.  So now I need to find a good sounding piece of equipment that has the ability to communicate with bluetooth and has XLR outputs.  I'm hoping to spend find something under 1k.  Can anyone make any suggestions?  I should also say that I'm pretty tech slow if you know what I mean.  I'm not cleaver with computer related things.

I forgot to say thank you so much for all of your suggestions, experiences, and opinions.

Ortofon 2M Bronze | Merrillized AR "The Turntable" | ZP 2 | SE84UFO25 | HDT | Jensen Alnico 15's on the low "OB"
  IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Re: The ZBIT and what component to get for it....
Reply #1 - 04/22/24 at 11:45:44

Hi, Dan. You can’t go wrong with a Cambridge CXNv2. You should be able to easily pick one up under $1k.

This one doesn’t come with the Bluetooth dongle but I’ll give you a great deal on one of you can’t stream directly from your phone via AirPlay or one of the music aps.
https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/650096432-cambridge-audio-cxn-v2-music-strea...

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/22/24 at 13:02:30

Dan,

Can you share a bit about your set-up, particularly if you plan to listen primarily by streaming HiRez music via WiFi or Ethernet cable from your computer router? Do you plan on using Roon or primarily Spotify? And/or just looking for a decent Bluetooth set-up that has better sound quality?

There are several excellent sounding one box DAC/streamer options out there. Streaming HiRez music via most music services requires a decent internet speed and/or an extender device if you plan to use an Ethernet cable connection.

FWIW for HiRez DAC/streamers Cambridge Audio (CXN V2 or the newer CXN100) and the Eversolo DMP-A6 are solid choices that deliver the goods.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/23/24 at 01:38:23

Thank you Gilf and HockessinKid,

Thinking about it further I guess I'm still a little undecided on which direction to go.  Right now I do not have a computer with an ethernet cable in my listening room.  I do not have a large library of digital music on a computer either.  I have just recently become interested in using Spotify because my girlfriend turned me on to it and it sounds surprisingly great.  My problem is that I am having some sort of sound artifacting which I think comes from my Bluetooth to RCA converter.  

Considering I have had internet speed issues in the past I'm hesitant to add a streamer to the mix as it stands.  

Has anyone here had great results with a DAC that either has Bluetooth capabilities or one that can become Bluetooth capable with a dongle?

I now Steve is pretty stoked with some Denafrips products.  Does anyone know how to get one of those DACs to play nicely with Bluetooth?  

Again, sorry for my lack of knowledge.  I'm just hoping to get up and running with some gear that can compliment my ZBIT Wink

Ortofon 2M Bronze | Merrillized AR "The Turntable" | ZP 2 | SE84UFO25 | HDT | Jensen Alnico 15's on the low "OB"
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/23/24 at 10:58:01

Dan,

If you want to keep things really simple listening to Spotify via Bluetooth and you have decent cell phone strength consider hooking up your phone via a cable to your system.

It's not optimal, but it can work very well with an android or Apple phone with the right cable. Sound quality can be improved with an attachable plugin DAC such as an Audioquest Dragonfly.

Might be a cost effective solution until you decide if a streaming box makes sense. FWIW, all of the streamer/DACs suggested in previous messages have built in Bluetooth streaming capabilities. Most folks who buy them opt for streaming HiRez content from a service because Bluetooth streaming compresses the audio signal (think below CD playback quality - limits bandwidth) which degrades the sound quality.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/23/24 at 11:47:51

I have used a handful of Bluetooth devices and some are definitely better than others. Basically, you get what you pay for. Among the best that I’ve tried would be the iFi zen, but overall the sound quality wasn’t nearly as good as hirez streaming from a direct coupled streamer. You’re also not likely to get the balanced connection you desire until you get into a streamer. Overall, you won’t be realizing the full potential of balanced connections and high quality DACs when they are being fed by a degraded Bluetooth stream. Like HK said, either the Cambridge or Eversolo options do offer Bluetooth, have balanced connections, and are probably a perfect compromise. Trust me, I’m not a “tech” kind of guy at all. I like simple. I like minimal devices in my signal path. The Cambridge unit was a milestone for me. It allowed me to Bluetooth to my system. Then I discovered casting Spotify from my phone via the Cambridge ap instead of Bluetooth. Then I discovered the full potential of the streamer, being able to use my phone instead of a remote control for everything. It honestly keeps me from buying higher end DACs and streamers because the thing is just so dang versatile… and you can buy them for 1/3 of the price now than I paid for it new. YMMV.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #6 - 04/23/24 at 14:44:46

Hi Dan,

Let me throw my support for the Cambridge CXNv2, especially at the price I saw from the link above.  That is a good price.  I have two of these units: one upstairs and the other downstairs, and they performed very well.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 04/26/24 at 00:15:53

OK....  I guess its off to the piggybank again.  But this time I'll have to wait a while before I can squeeze enough money out of it to afford the CXZN100.  Still have to realize a computer in my listening room too.  The troubles of having to do the very best for your Zen equipment Wink   Thanks for all the advice Gilf, HockessenKid, and Tony.  Eventually I will have my listening room completed and promise to post some pictures.  But knowing me, it won't be any time soon.  Too many hours gazing at tubes and Decware speakers.  Could anyone believe I've found two incredible Decware speakers in my home town of Kansas City?  Early production HDT's then several years later early production ERR's...  I can't believe the luck.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #8 - 04/26/24 at 00:36:33

Dan,

You might be aware of this already: Cambridge Audio has a "refurbished' website, and you can find some good deals for the equipment they have serviced. I bought my second CXNv2 from them. I just looked there for a CXN100 unit, but none are listed now. If you check regularly, however, you may find one. Here is the link: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ssn=cambridgeaudiousa&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l50...

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #9 - 04/26/24 at 01:09:23

Dan, you know that you have a DAC already?

Look in the stuff that I gave you. I think it is a Grace.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 04/26/24 at 04:21:37

I know Donnie!!!!  It's just been doing duty on my computer rig....  Feeding the ZKIT60 that powers those Kairos you built me!!!!!!!

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #11 - 04/26/24 at 13:00:00

Dan…I ran an Audioquest Dragonly Red for a while when I first got my Torii and it is a solid dac at its price point.  I still use it when I travel and in my work vehicle.  Since you acquired the ZBIT though…you will need a DAC with XLR outputs to allow you take advantage of the higher gain….so if that is your goal then the Audioquest isn't going to help you.  The Cambridge Audio CXNV2 is a great DAC.  I own the Schiit Bifrost2 DAC…and I have no complaints.  I have never heard the Cambridge DAC’s but I would say they are probably a notch above the Schiit’s at the  same price point.  My main goal was looking for R2R ladder DAC, and at the time the Schiit made the cut at my price point.

Kudos on scoring an older pair of ERR’s.  My ERR’s are the last production year before the ERRx and are great speakers.  If you want to take them to a totally different level….take a look at the ERR modification thread I resurrected recently.  I upgraded the resistors and capacitors, and it has really made a significant difference in their presentation.  It’s going to run you a decent chunk of change somewhere around $500 bucks…but the upgrade was totally worth it.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print