Decware Audio Forums
05/03/24 at 09:40:01 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My Zen listening space (Read 574 times)
1stwattlife

My Zen listening space
04/20/24 at 06:21:40

Ok, here it is! My first official Zen garden! ... I gotta put in a big shoutout here for my co-worker Paul. He found it in his heart to part with a couple old school Zen amps and some old bass trap/diffusion panels ( on the rear wall reflected in the TV), and didn't rake me over the coals for it. Thank you Paul, even if you don't read this.

I get it... Zen... 'cause it's practically transcendental... Nice one, Steve! ( ,and a super thanks to you too!) Wink

IP Logged
1stwattlife

Re: My Zen listening space
Reply #1 - 04/20/24 at 06:28:19

Here is a closer gear pick...

I gotta run before the "I hope you put a blanket over that tv if want to CRITICALLY listen" police come!

Super Phill out

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 04/20/24 at 10:28:24

Super Phil, congrats on scoring some well-seasoned Zen amp--from a few decades of listening to them I can look at the photo and hear the sound!

I have one recommendation: isolation. Isolation feet etc. were something that I discovered with Decware and the improvement is worth seeking out.

Have a great listening weekend.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/20/24 at 11:03:59

When I saw those amps setting ontop of Decware's black boxes that was my first thought, Lon.

One of the most notable improvements to my system was isolating the components from the concrete floor.

Enjoy your time off Phil.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
1stwattlife

Reply #4 - 04/20/24 at 14:47:43

Thanks guys.

Once I heard it, I was scared to move anything, lol. The feet on the amps are pretty squishy. I am gonna get the black boxes at least moved down a shelf where they were before I moved it to this side of the room... Or I might move the amps down there. I don't know yet. It's not the best shelf, but it works for the time being. Everything from the side of the room the stereo is on is really just piled up behind me, so there is more work to do, lol

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 04/20/24 at 15:00:22

IMO "Squishy" is not a good thing. Wink

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
1stwattlife

Reply #6 - 04/20/24 at 17:32:54

IP Logged
mrchipster
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 04/20/24 at 17:37:00

Phill,

Nice!

I bet those vintage amps are doing justice to your space. Enjoy your Zen moments.

SE84UFO25 - CSP3 (A-mods)
ZROCK2 (A-mods) - ZBIT
Cambridge Audio CXN V2 (ModWright)
Cambridge Audio CXC
Zu Audio Soul Supremes
VIABLUE IC's & Spkr cables ; DSR3 IC's
Audio-Technica TT
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 04/20/24 at 17:47:13

I confess it would drive me nuts if I had non-matching rectifiers in a pair of amps! I have a boxful of matching rectifiers so it just won't happen in my systems!

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #9 - 04/22/24 at 02:57:56

Congrats Phil…great setup!! Coming from a guy with matching Zen amps…it would bother me too if my tubes didn’t match.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
mrchipster
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 04/22/24 at 19:22:25

I don't own mono's or matching amps but I would probably do matching rectifiers as well. Fun experiment to try mismatches though I bet.

Without getting too far off topic, I have the CSP3 (fully dressed with A-mods) and the UFO25.

Question is : would people tend to use the same rectifier in both for synergy or does it (maybe as usual) depend on the entire system make up?  

I'm looking at getting upgrades to the tubes and using the stock ones as backups.

ZROCK2 (A-mods) - ZBIT
Cambridge Audio CXC
Zu Audio Soul Supremes
Audio-Technica TT
  IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #11 - 04/22/24 at 20:18:15

I have a similar setup as you with the CSP3-A and UFO25. I don't use matching rectifiers in my setup. My mindset is to voice my UFO25 more toward detail and a clean, transparent sound and then the CSP3 for adding some density and fullness. I found tubes I liked in the amp and then further tuned the sound of the system by adjusting gain and tube selection in the preamp. That was just my approach, for what it's worth.

Mofi Ultradeck w/ Hana ML>Sutherland Insight>Eversolo DMP-A6>CSP3-A>SE84UFO25>Energy Veritas>REL T7i
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 04/22/24 at 20:34:56

With two matching amps I would for sure be uncomfortable with mis-matched rectifiers--I'd want both channels to have identical tube complements so that I got a true mono when I was using mono material (I have lots) and a balanced stereo with stereo material.

In the past when using a stereo amp and a preamp I've tried different rectifiers in each. . . and kept experimenting. But when I fell in love with the Sophia Electric Aqua 274B rectifiers (and then the II version) I found that having that rectifier throughout to be the best for ME and my system (that's what I have now in my audio/visual system; my main system only has a rectifier in the SEWE300B, there's no preamp needed with that amp--which really surprised the heck out of me).

IP Logged
Paul2

Second Hand Rose

Reply #13 - 04/22/24 at 22:08:01

I believe Phil said that he just got the amps.

He seems pretty proud of them, as he should be.

The early SE84 amp blew my socks off in 2001 in Steves listening room.

There is time for everything.

Roon Nucleus, Eversolo A6 ME, ZRock, CSP, SE84 UFO, TubeTots
Small treated room
  IP Logged
mrchipster
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 04/22/24 at 23:30:38

LiquidBlue and Lon,

Thanks for the feedback on the rectifiers.
As I suspected the answer is 'it depends'. Point taken for both cases.

To LiquidBlue's point about voicing the amp towards the clean/neutral side and pre to density, here's a little tidbit:

I've owned the CSP3 since last October and the UFO25 since last November. Believe it or not I have not 'rolled' any tubes yet. I'm at that point now which is why the original question. I've spent a lot of time getting familiar with the stock sound and rotated through all the input regulator tubes and the two input tubes that came stock in the amp. (probably have over 1200 hours on them)

The pre came with 3 6N1P's. I just recently decided to swap the one 6N1P in the pre with the 6N5P from the amp. I remember Steve describing the 1P as focused/neutral and maybe a little higher gain, and the 5P being warmer/fuller (one of his fav's). It wasn't night and day, but I couldn't believe the difference it made. To LiguidBlue's point, it made the soundstage a little more focused/crisp with instruments delineated more and wider soundstage (the amp?) all the while having a little more meat/density to the sound (pre?). I know this is in my room with my components but very cool none the less.
I'm really looking forward to doing some real tube rolling soon!

Phill,
Take us deeper into your listening space when you have a chance.

ZROCK2 (A-mods) - ZBIT
Cambridge Audio CXC
Zu Audio Soul Supremes
Audio-Technica TT
  IP Logged
1stwattlife

Reply #15 - 04/23/24 at 00:43:43

Black Bess- this is the best I have access to at the moment,  hope it helps!

Selfie in the Avante Garde room at axpona.

IP Logged
1stwattlife

Reply #16 - 04/23/24 at 01:18:47

I will post the opposing wall pics a little later when I get that half of the room clean Smiley   I can describe things a little deeper...

...first though, this VR tube discusion is great. +10 forum points to Mr. chipster! Liquid Blue's approach is exactly what popped into my head when I read this. It happens alot here, which is nice. Then I don't have to type it all out myself cause it is already said. lOl
I don't have a pre-amp for my setup yet, but it is in the master plan.

The skinny on these amps are that one is stock(ish, at least),  and one has been 'hot rodded'. The details were briefly run by me, but I forget the exact mods. So, the finest matched pair would still not match. I only expected one, he showed up with two and I about freaked out. Sold!!

Don't match? Don't care!! Haha!

Sound wise there is a slight difference between them, in tone, not really in operation. My room is irregular so I can tweak to it...Hot amp on the one side, cooler one on the other, not that I really have to.

So, these pics are not really as much system pics, but really just capturing the moment of impact from the Decware asteroid that just crashed into my living room. It really is just me showing the first moments of good sound in my own home, and it WAS glorious! The gear has been here but I just could NOT get the speakers locked in, which traditionally I have been good at even without the technical knowledge I have picked up over the years. Now that I have the recipe I can start finalizing furniture, cabling etc. I have adjusted slightly to open the walkway a bit more and lost my intense cone of awesome, but it is replaced by a deeper and wider soundstage.

I was just thinking earlier that if I posted pictures of wiring and such I may just give a few of you heart attacks! It's far less that perfect... I think I will document it for myself to prove a couple things about some other things, but that will be another story at a much later date!

So, ultimately one of the amps will probably go into the bedroom, or on loan to my brother so he can get experience as well... I really only NEED one out here. The headroom is nice though, just saying.

IP Logged
1stwattlife

Reply #17 - 04/23/24 at 02:52:59

Behind the system against the wall are 5 boxes. They are filled with mineral wool. 2 @ 3.5in bats, separated by 2in of bubble wrap. The fronts of the boxes are opened with a 4in-ish border. These came about due to the absolutely atrocious sonic signatures in the great room of my apartment. All my furniture is light, what little there is, so I used these to tame the room down enough that I could at least make a phone call in it. I basically piled them up the wall as much as I could hoping in the least for a transformation from hard to softened. Which worked, enough. They just happen to be were I moved the stereo to. It is just what materials could be ordered or purchased locally. I may someday make some wooden frames and get some acoustic fabric, but my landscaping clothe is working just fine for the moment. The cardboard boxes make them easy to maneuvered alone with my neck/back issues.

Don't be fooled though, the real work is being done by the 5x8 wall of bass trap/ P13 quadratic diffusers on the rear wall.

The Drivers are Lii F12's in some vintage cabinets that I bought stripped years ago. They originally would have had 15in drivers in them. They have been end tables or nightstands for years. I have always wanted full range drivers to populate them, but it has always been out of budget.

I stream wifi from Qubuz to a $30 Monster branded dac that I picked up a while back for a TV through a Wiim mini. The same Wiim mini handles TV sound via Bluetooth.

IP Logged
1stwattlife

Reply #18 - 04/23/24 at 03:43:49

I took some notes the other evening... here is a rough translation into English.

Listening level: low to medium

Various media, mostly jazz

At a low level the general tone had a natural feel, very organic. The effortless agility was very engaging. The gentlest and most dulcet of tones... mmmmmm. The speed and quickness of this setup easily did the Decware thing, which is to say that it gets out of its own way. There are no stumbles and definitely no falls. Maybe like a world class figure skater.

Not to say that there are no faults. The room interferes from time to time, but its not so bad. Stupid room.

Moving up the volume scale to medium... The heft and thickness, no, maybe heft and saturation, yea, saturation, made themselves eloquently at home in my bubble. Not at a loud volume by any means. Once the real stage was set the mids and highs danced very nicely in and out of my headspace, floating along on the currents created by the low end base layer like they were on a magic carpet. Not necessarily throughout my room in a three dimensional extravaganza, but nicely enough. { if a dozen diffusion panels fell from the sky, I would not complain! lol} I don't expect end game sound from an accidental alignment of the stars and my speakers... It's not that there is NO theory behind the setup, it is just far more haphazard than planned. Even at these louder/ fuller sound levels the the real shine came through in the intricacy of the stillness between the sounds. My previous brain would have expected this type of delicate detail to be diminished at high levels vs lower levels, but that is just not he case anymore. It is this space between the  sounds that I believe gives way to the feeling of listening the the musician instead of the instrument. Some day this concept and 'being the mic' are going to have a celebrity deathmatch in my mind... I will let you know who wins, but I am betting it will be a tie.

I made a note to remind myself to keep breathing through the rests in the music... Is this normal? I think I may have a problem.

Seriously though... phenomenal to experience in my own chair. just amazing.

other scribbles included something about the bass and anti-gravity.

there is also a joke about everyone ever in history who has ragged on tube gear for its inefficiency. F#@$ those guys... Just kidding, kinda. Everyone is entitled to... you know.

other scribble: room tuning vs room treatment; just treating a space does not create the magic, the system has to be tuned to the room after the room is treated. Might sound nice, like mine did for weeks... 'nice' is not good enough. Once the system is locked in there is not stopping it...

yet another scribble on the range of effect- Soft influence over a large area at low volume complemented by a strong command of the listening space at higher volumes. Full engagement throughout the spectrum.

Last note is how the bass tuning opened everything all at once. I was confused by things when I first turned the sub on. So, I cranked it. Give me the worst and I will weed stuff out from there I thought... I started turning it down bit by bit... alllll the way down, almost. At just above audible a bubble strongly resembling the Dec-cave ( I am pretty sure Steve is Batman) opened up like a vortex in the room and away I went!

End of notes.

Thanks for listening!

... but, with your eyes?

Nevermind.

Cheers.

IP Logged
1stwattlife

Reply #19 - 04/23/24 at 04:21:05

Geez...
...I can't take me anywhere...

I forgot the Magic Black Boxes and Phono stage. On loan from Steve I have what I am calling a ZRock2.5; A ZRock3 with a Zrock2 Power supply ( and the now elusive Bypass switch). Also there is my ZSB with dual stepped volume controls and output A/B switching. In the phono line I have a nobsound phono stage with a linear power supply stepping up from a Yamaha YP-450/ Philips GA-212/ (Benjamin)Elac Miracord 630. Not all at once...

IP Logged
1stwattlife

Reply #20 - 04/23/24 at 05:02:32

Seriously, this is my life.
I'm back. Again.

Right so, none of this would have worked, didn't work, before the sub woofer. I picked up a subwoofer for the car on a one off deal from a guy ( Dual 4 ohm VC, wired for 8 ohm), bought the competitor brand's pre built box whose specs are slightly large and put it in the trunk. After my trunk stopped locking I brought it in the house. So I stole the plate amp with hi gain inputs from a JBL PB12 that wasn't worth a spit... viola.

Also there is a tripplite power conditioner feeding the amps.

OFC 12ga?/ 4mm banana jacks

Silver tinned ofc interconnects, except for the silver Interconnect/ silver rca on the phono line

If that is not all of it, you will have to wonder for the rest of eternity, I'm turning in finally!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21 - 04/23/24 at 10:56:12

Very cool.

I think you'll really enjoy when you are using each amp separately as the "solidarity" of one amp compared to two mismatched ones will I think win you over and further transport you.

It's so exciting to begin the Decware journey at home. That experience began for me in '97 or so. I wish I had had a ZROCK2 then!

IP Logged
1stwattlife

Reply #22 - 04/23/24 at 22:31:58

Wow Lon! '97!
That explains the almost 23,500 posts!

I have known about Steve's work since then, about... Lots of guys said 'Oh, yeah, I know Steve! I'll introduce you!' Never happened... turns out most of them "knew of" Steve, or had just met him once. The rumors of the corner horns swirled in my head for MANY years before I was able to finally hear them at my interview. Later in the years it was my fault... between health issues and social/ other anxieties... but I am here now and could not be happier!

I have used the amps separately, just a bit, but not in the current configuration. It is on the agenda in the next few days hopefully. I sure would like to get one into the bedroom. I have a pair of Klipsch KG-4's to hook up back there. I can't wait to go to bed with the sweetest jazz ever as my lullaby.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23 - 04/23/24 at 22:40:53

It's a great time to have a first Decware system or two to experience--I wish I could have started out with the amazing gear that Steve has created since then! You have a lot of amazement ahead of you--the ZROCK2 alone was a whole new plateau of sonic magnificence for me when I finally got one.

IP Logged
1stwattlife

Reply #24 - 05/01/24 at 21:01:31

Using the aforementioned setup as a guide to set the system up in the room, I have removed extra unneeded wiring and am in the middle of pushing everything back to a respectable distance from the wall. My bubble expanded on the first movement, which was about four inches back and three inches out. Moving the same amount again destroyed everything, but a third time returned my soundstage and gave me the bass I was missing in the original setup that was supplemented by the subwoofer. Everything is nice again, but without the subwoofer.

So, there I am relishing the more finalized setup. Then, a thought occurred to me. It was something Steve had said about the Axpona rooms. He mentioned using the sub out of phase to cancel unwanted low end. So, I experimented with that setup and have a few hours in testing. It is such a subtle thing... what it does for the nuance in the low end is really interesting.

Gotta go! Amps to build, emails to send... enjoy your day everyone!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print