Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/02/24 at 11:50:34 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Space Tech Lab Super Tube Rectifier Arrived! (Read 2636 times)
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Re: Space Tech Lab Super Tube Rectifier Arrived!
Reply #50 - 04/14/24 at 20:46:11

Quote:
lol—I was waiting you to think about upgrading the umbilical cord!

I thought about it before I even ordered it. Now that I've "vocalized" it I'm doomed. Ha!

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #51 - 04/14/24 at 21:00:32

All my cabling is either VooDoo Cable Stradivarius Cremona or Amati for RCA and XLR interconnects, or the top of the line PS Audio power cabling that was released, the AC-12 and the top of the line PS Audio digital connection (in my case for transport or phono preamp the AC-12 HDMI).

I spent a lot of money on these cables when I had money to spend (in between wives) and. . . I really like this cabling and I'm not changing. No need!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #52 - 04/14/24 at 22:03:58

I bet AL could build the umbilical with fancy cable if you wanted.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 04/15/24 at 11:09:03

Quote:
I’m not sure what you mean by extra baggage. I get not wanting more boxes, PCs and connections.

Yes that is what I was thinking. My system is fully taking up the allotted space now. There are ways around without bloat. Example: the use of timers for stylus wear is bloat that I(we are all different and I do respect your difference) don’t see as necessary when just listening to my system tells when the stylus needs replaced.
This thread centers around a device that replaces a rectifier tube with claimed improvement by offloading the heater current and giving more choices beyond normal rectifier tube rolling. I get that and can see how it would benefit a limited Decware amp that was developed with resale in mind.
We are all searching for the next greatest add on to our systems. That is the hobby. I feel fortunate that it is the music that attracts me more for that exploration. Not just one or two genres but all.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #54 - 04/15/24 at 16:49:03

I finally just committed to my order and sent payment to Al for an STR-1002-SUPER. For options, I'm getting the 805A to 800B converters and silver 4-to-8-pin converters, as well as OFC top caps. I was going to get it in a "deep," single-file configuration in a black MDF enclosure, but Al recommended the same in the black solid oak enclosure -- he says it improves sonic performance and durability, so I'm going with  his expertise on that.

The result should look something like this, but in a black wooden box:

I believe a pair of mercury vapor tubes should be delivered today from Tube World Express. Shortly after I placed the order, Brendan from TWE sent me an email to ask if they were intended for a STR; apparently it's a fairly common order for that application. These are the tubes:

"VT-46A=866A RCA NOS 1942-1944 original boxes (62-62/40 x 2 tubes) - 866A RCA NOS original boxes"

Thorens TD 125 Mk II w/SME 3009 and ZYX Ultimate Airy Exceed; Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vestigal Arm and Grado TLZ; ZP3; CSP3; ZMA; ZSB; Mac Mini; Teac PD-301-X; Sorcer X4+; SDFB w/ Super Duper Sluggos; Decware cords and interconnects
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #55 - 04/15/24 at 16:55:44

Very cool! Looking forward to your experiences.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 04/16/24 at 19:53:19

Super Exciting BL!

Going with the wooden chassis is a good call in my book. I like the look of mine. with the dark finish.

Did he say how deep it is with the narrower design?

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #57 - 04/16/24 at 20:06:44

GroovySauce: I didn't get dimensions on the final product. I should do that...

Thorens TD 125 Mk II w/SME 3009 and ZYX Ultimate Airy Exceed; Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vestigal Arm and Grado TLZ; ZP3; CSP3; ZMA; ZSB; Mac Mini; Teac PD-301-X; Sorcer X4+; SDFB w/ Super Duper Sluggos; Decware cords and interconnects
  IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #58 - 04/18/24 at 20:11:37

Just had a random thought this morning: It's so nice to add a component that doesn't require another set of interconnects. Just something that popped into my head.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #59 - 04/19/24 at 00:59:34

Quote:
Posted by: bloodlemons      Posted on: Today at 12:11:37

Just had a random thought this morning: It's so nice to add a component that doesn't require another set of interconnects. Just something that popped into my head.

Or, does it suck to buy a component with hardwired interconnects that you can't swap out?

IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #60 - 04/19/24 at 01:05:27

CAJames: It does!! Luckily, the only component I have that issue with at present is my Transcriptor Skeleton table, which is my "backup" table that is really mostly just for show. It's a very pretty machine! However, I did have my local shop hardwire an AudioQuest Wildcat phono cable to the original Vestigal arm, so being able to swap cables on that table at this point isn't really worth pursuing.

IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 04/23/24 at 12:35:53

Less than a week from placing an order, I got an email from Al, asking if the case stain color was good enough.  Looking forward to it!  Al has been great to communicate with via email and immediately responsive!
Bob

IMG_2076.jpeg

Omega SAMS,Altec 604 8K, Liionidas Silver 10/W-15,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800, SFDBs and future STR-1002)
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 04/23/24 at 18:05:15

Bob, looking good! Yes, Al is very responsive and quick to communicate.

BloodLemons, Have you gotten any updates?

I still haven’t gotten over to my brothers place to try it on the UFO25TH. I have tried it on my amp…

3B22 xenon rectifiers. I don’t know exactly why two are needed. I do know they will supply 1 amp of current… each. So all power requirements are met.

Unfortunately one of the adapters broke in shipping. Also the SR-200 was damaged too. Canada Post or USPS is not treating these packages nicely at all. When a box is being crushed by machinery doesn’t matter how well it’s packed I guess. I don’t know how they could be packed better besides being in a hard case.

I epoxied it back together and tomorrow I’ll try running two 5U4Gs.

With the 3B22s I got to try the STR on my amp. Two 845s only supply a max of 220ma of current the amp needs 320ma.

Wow on the amp it’s fantastic. The silence and space between the notes is expanded. Resolution has gone up yet again. And the noise floor… already was lowest I’ve ever experienced became even lower! Music just flows like nothing else.

STR and DAC better tone, attack, density, space all improved. Also the density is completely different than what I’ve experienced before.

STR and amp. Still has the traits of it on the DAC. As I mentioned above, the space and silence between the notes is incredible. I need more time to get more into the details. First impressions are very positive.

I tried the 2x 3B22s and the Sophia Aqua II 274B. I’ve been running a pair of SE Aqua II 274Bs in the amp for a long time. It’s a big step up running the SE Aqua II + PSVane 805A through the STR. Tomorrow I’ll try running 2x SE Aqua IIs. I want to give the epoxy 20+ hours to harden before using the adapter.

The one bummer is that when running the 3B22s or 1x rectifier the power supply of the component it’s plugged into buzzes/chatters a little bit. Al said to try running 2x rectifiers and see if that fixes it. Tomorrow I’ll give it a try.

The chattering sound is the same as the sound some components make when they are plugged into the Plasmatron 3.

The noise doesn’t go through the speakers and it’s not noticeable at the listening position. Tomorrow I’ll try 2x rectifiers and see how it goes and report back.

Back to the amp and STR. It’s hard to tell if the difference is more profound on the DAC or amp. The amp can only work with what it’s given. Good thing I have a vinyl setup to try. Since I put the STR on the DAC I’ve only played one or two records. TRP + STR was beating vinyl in some areas and I didn’t feel I was missing anything so I stayed with digital. Amp + STR

I have a pair of the Chinese 300B that Decware sells arriving today. I have adapters for the STR so I can run them for the DAC.

I have a few pairs of tubes now.

PSVane Hifi 805A (stock)
PSVane Cossor 845
Linlai 805-TA
Linlai 845-TA
Linlai 845_DG

I received the Cossor 845s yesterday. Less than 10 hours on them and they sound nice cold out of the box.

They all sound different. Online reports say 100-150 hours to fully burnin for the 4-pin jumbo tubes. I haven’t hit 150 hours on any of them yet. The Linlai 845-TA have almost 100 hours, they have been my favorites.

I’m curious to try a pair of 211 tubes, maybe I’ll let someone else try them. Ha!

I’ll report back when I have more to share.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #63 - 04/23/24 at 19:09:33

Great update Groovy. One (of the many) thing(s) that intrigue me about the STR is how they sound with 300B tubes so that will be very interesting. Of course 300B tubes take hundreds of hours to break in so I imagine the final word will take awhile.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 04/24/24 at 13:45:54

Popped the Chinese 300Bs from Decware in. 300Bs can provide a max of 100ma each. Running at the max shortens the life. The TRP draws 40ma so 200ma should be enough head room  :p

I've only listened a little since putting them in. Sound different than the 845s and 805s for sure. I want to give them more time before relaying what I'm hearing.

One thing that is consistent with all the tubes. The flow sounds and feels right. Grain and noise floor are lowered. More resolution with no hints of artifacts.

I'm going to be trying the SE Aqua IIs on the amp too so will be awhile before I burn in the 300Bs.

IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #65 - 04/24/24 at 22:15:26

Groovy: I haven't hear anything from Al in a bit, but I'm not worried about it. It'll be fun whenever it shows up.

Forgive me if I missed it reading above, but what is the deal with the dual adapter? What's the goal with that?

IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #66 - 04/24/24 at 22:20:24

I did buy this nice little piece of retro-tech to help me keep track of the mercury vapor warm-up time:

photo upload free

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 04/25/24 at 21:49:12

We have a few antiques in here.  :D No ..not us! Love this hour glass~ Smiley

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #68 - 04/26/24 at 20:23:51

BloodLemons, I’m not sure why it needs two 3B22s in the adapter. It might be something to do with the STR-1002 has 5 and 10 volt heater settings and the 3B22 is a 2.5 volt heater?

Love the time keeper!

I like the combo of 2x 3B22s and one SE Aqua II more than 2x Aqua IIs on the amp.

Going between the STR on the amp and the DAC has me wondering examining which is more important, source or amp? I’ve never been at this consideration before. From afar I’ve observed and never dove in. Now, as I swap the STR between the DAC and amp I’m on unknown ground. When the STR is on the amp it really feels like it’s being held back by the source (DAC). There is a lot of things I really like when the STR is on the amp.

Putting the STR back on the DAC and there is finer rendered information that the amp has to work with. If the amp never gets all the data then it is playing at a disadvantage.

Right now I’m leaning towards the DAC (source) having a larger impact in this application. Doesn’t mean this is universal. I’m guessing once I get a STR on the amp it’s going to be an incredible jump.

Playing records really showcases what the STR does for the amp. And I really like what it does.

For my tastes the 845s are my tube of choice. I only put a few hours in listening to the 300Bs powering the TRP. The 845s offer more of everything.  I’m really hoping that 4x 845s powers the amp optimally.

I have a few items I’m selling, once one of them sells I’m going to place an order for a custom STR for the amp.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #69 - 04/26/24 at 21:08:12

I'm also digging the hourglass!

Quote:
Posted by: GroovySauce      Posted on: Today at 12:23:51

BloodLemons, I’m not sure why it needs two 3B22s in the adapter. It might be something to do with the STR-1002 has 5 and 10 volt heater settings and the 3B22 is a 2.5 volt heater?

Yes, that would make perfect sense.

Quote:
...I only put a few hours in listening to the 300Bs powering the TRP. The 845s offer more of everything...

Interesting. A little annoying, but very helpful. I'm going to have to listen for myself if/when I get a STR but at the very least this seals the deal for a 1002 and not a 104.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 04/26/24 at 21:22:03

James, I get it, if I was a 300B fan I would want to know what fully broken in 300Bs sounded like.

Everything sounded smaller with the 300Bs. It did have a nice sense of space and expansiveness to the sound stage.

At the end of the day the 845 beat them in all aspects though.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #71 - 04/27/24 at 02:57:17

Groovy, just to be clear, no way did I mean to imply I'm annoyed with you. Your updates are hugely informative and very interesting.

I'm annoyed because the 300Bs (which I already have) seem to be underperforming. It would be nice (i.e. cheaper) if they were awesome; then I could buy the less expensive STR and not mess with the 10V tubes. And, just in case you have a couple grand burning a hole in your pocket you can get "high end" Elrog 845s (or 211s) and potentially take it to another level.

https://www.elrog.com/products/

If you weren't already aware. That is actually something I'm thinking about for the future.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #72 - 04/27/24 at 13:22:34

James, I read it how you intended. The 300Bs aren't bad, just not as enjoyable as the 845s.

I've looked at the Elrog tubes. They are so much money and I'm not sure if I will like them more than what I'm using now. I actually prefer the less expensive Linlai 845-TA to the Linlai 845-DG. The DG has more crispness, the TA has a more meaty sound. There are also the KR Audio 845s also a lot of money! Not many people talking about the big transmitting tubes so more of a roll of the dice than more discussed tubes.

With theoretical usable life up to 100,000 hours the lifetime cost isn't too bad though.

The Linlai 845-TAs were around $250 a pair so not crazy spendy.

I still haven't tried 211s.

So far my favorite tubes for the DAC are the Linlai 845-TA and PSVane Cossor 845s.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #73 - 04/30/24 at 18:52:46

When the STR was shipped to me the package was crushed. Two other items and one of the 805As were damaged.

Al asked me to make sure the replacement 805A was working. I figured I would try the PSVane hifi 805A and the PSVane Cossor 845 at the same time. Wow! blending tubes is really interesting.

I've been so happy with how the system has been sounding I'm not motivated to tweak things. A another pair of footers and a piece of butcher block for the STR and of course in awhile a custom STR.... Now I want to experiment more with blending tubes. One nice thing about the 4pin jumbo tubes is I don't feel like I'm loosening the sockets when I swap tubes as they work completely different than standard 9-pin and octal sockets.

I wasn't curious about rolling more tubes in the STR, now I want to start trying combos!

It's wild because it seems to cherry pick the best of both the tubes and blend them together perfectly! All this might be premature, as I've only listened to a couple of songs.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #74 - Yesterday at 00:59:46

Quote:
Posted by: GroovySauce      Posted on: Today at 10:52:46

...I wasn't curious about rolling more tubes in the STR, now I want to start trying combos!

This is what I was afraid of . Different rectifiers have made a profound difference to the sound of my system, I'm not surprised at all that different tube combos would have a big impact using a STR.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print