Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
06/16/24 at 23:17:47 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Space Tech Lab Super Tube Rectifier Arrived! (Read 10968 times)
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Space Tech Lab Super Tube Rectifier Arrived!
Reply #100 - 05/15/24 at 21:47:18

Very nice Bob. I’m curious what rectifier you had in the CSP-3 before you replaced it with the STR?

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-XC
  IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #101 - 05/15/24 at 21:56:52

CA James,
Cryotone 5AR4.
Bob

Altec 604 8K, Liionidas Silver 10/W-15,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th/Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800, SFDBs and future STR-1002)
  IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #102 - 05/15/24 at 21:58:11

Nigel,
Ordered but wont arrive for another week at least.
Bob

Altec 604 8K, Liionidas Silver 10/W-15,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th/Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800, SFDBs and future STR-1002)
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #103 - 05/16/24 at 04:13:57

Bob,

You weren’t kidding - those 805s are HONKERS!

Randy

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #104 - 05/17/24 at 16:06:43

Uh oh... Canada Post says that my STR should be delivered today...

Thorens TD 125 Mk II w/SME 3009 and ZYX Ultimate Airy Exceed; Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vestigal Arm and Grado TLZ; ZP3; CSP3; ZMA; ZSB; Space Tech Labs STR 1002; Mac Mini; Teac PD-301-X; Sorcer X4+; SDFB w/ Super Duper Sluggos; Decware cords and interconnects
  IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #105 - 05/17/24 at 20:47:38

Smiley Smiley.  Hurray!
Bob

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #106 - 05/18/24 at 01:50:49

Wow. This is ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. I can't believe that what I am hearing is happening in my living room. Chills, goosebumps, the whole deal.

On the downside, something is rattling in the room that didn't use to rattle. Gonna have to track that down...

I had a set of 866A mercury vapor tubes and scrapped one immediately by starting the STR at 10v instead of 5v. Don't do that. No matter, the PSVANE 805A pair that came with the STR are leaving me with no complaints at the moment.

I think this is "it." I don't know what else I could possibly want from home hi-fi after this. And to think that I have a new Reed tonearm coming soon as well.

I have dinner plans in about 45 minutes and I think I'm going to have a hard time leaving the house.

FWIW, I was prepared with a dedicated SDFB for the STR, along with a Super Sluggo. I put the Sluggo in right away, so I can't comment on the difference, but I'm sure it's not hurting anything! lol

Thorens TD 125 Mk II w/SME 3009 and ZYX Ultimate Airy Exceed; Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vestigal Arm and Grado TLZ; ZP3; CSP3; ZMA; ZSB; Space Tech Labs STR 1002; Mac Mini; Teac PD-301-X; Sorcer X4+; SDFB w/ Super Duper Sluggos; Decware cords and interconnects
  IP Logged
Hearafter

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #107 - 05/18/24 at 02:24:05

Excellent to hear the positive report. Like the black oak case Smiley. What device are you using it with?  All the STR owners seem to experience a nice improvement.  Mine is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday and plan to use it on my Torii Jr and/or Supratek Pre.
I ordered the baby STR 104 per Al’s recommendation.  Hope that wasn’t a mistake not getting the big boy tubes.  104 comes with 2-3B22 and I have 866a’s, 2A3, 300b, 5U4 and several other 5v rectifiers.  Should be fun.   Cheesy

Torii Jr V2
Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Bricasti M5 Network Streamer
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
Hearafter

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #108 - 05/18/24 at 02:40:07

Sorry to hear the 866a yikes moment.  I plan to identify each tube’s voltage with a sharpie pen to avoid getting the voltages crossed up which is easy to do.  Also, Al advised me to calculate the wattage to make sure I don’t go above 50w cumulative on my 104 to avoid transformer excessive stress/damage.  A lot to learn with all the variables on these STR’s.

Torii Jr V2
Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #109 - 05/18/24 at 04:44:13

bloodlemons,

If your sound is as good as it's look, I'd skip dinner for the rest of the week! 🙂
Beautiful.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #110 - 05/18/24 at 13:07:05

Bob, That works out, that way you can get a feel for the 805As before swapping to the 845s.

Bloodlemons, Yahoo! It will season and get better with hours too. I’m going to plant the seed for you to try the STR on the CSP too. Cheesy

Bummer about the 866As, I accidentally turned on a pair of the jumbo tubes on 5v. Fortunately didn’t seem to damage the tubes.

So glad both you guys are also getting tangible improvements. After 6 weeks I’m still really happy with the STR. Finally ordered a pair of Linlai 211s.

Hearafter, Nice selection of possibilities,  looking forward to you sharing your experiences.

Now that some more people are getting the STRs I hope anything that sounded like hyperbole is now seen in a new light lol. It still is hard not over selling how much I’ve enjoyed the improvement with the STR.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #111 - 05/18/24 at 15:18:35

Thanks for all the updates!

I'm curious if any of you have done a direct comparison of just your favorite rectifier in the STR vs. directly in the component?

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #112 - 05/18/24 at 15:50:30

James, I have.... sort of.

The way the STR works is each phase of the AC is handled by 1 socket. So If your component has one rectifier tube you need to have two of the same rectifier in the STR to be full wave rectification.

My amp uses two rectifiers in parallel. I removed both the SE Aqua IIs and put them in the STR. Sounded better with the STR. I preferred a combo of one Aqua II and the 3B22s. I liked the combo of 3B22s and 845 even more.

For the TRP DAC my goto rectifier is the EML 274b mesh. I haven't tried just that in the STR as it would be half wave rectification. And the 845s give me a sound I love.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #113 - 05/18/24 at 16:15:53

Very interesting. Thanks!

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #114 - 05/18/24 at 22:58:00

Wait, so if a tube can handle 10v, is it not safe to run it at 5v?

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #115 - 05/18/24 at 23:13:16

Quote:
Posted by: bloodlemons      Posted on: Today at 14:58:00

Wait, so if a tube can handle 10v, is it not safe to run it at 5v?

It isn't good to run a tube under its rated filament voltage in the long term, but doesn't hurt to do it briefly. As noted above running it at a higher voltage is a bad idea under any circumstances.

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #116 - 05/18/24 at 23:58:10

OK. Good to know! Thank you!

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #117 - 05/19/24 at 00:53:29

OK. I swapped the STR over to the CSP3 and it's even better. The most immediate difference is a great deal more volume on tap. I am re-listening to some of the same music I was listening to last while I was auditioning the STR for the first time and, while it sounded amazing last night, now it sounds even better. I am hearing fingers slide down guitar strings, background harmony parts I've never heard before, etc. I'm going to leave it on the CSP3.

I can see how someone might want two of these. I literally do not have room for another, which is probably a good thing... Maybe.

IP Logged
Hearafter

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #118 - 05/21/24 at 01:32:20

STR-104 has arrived and right out of the box this is a winner!  I am using the 2 stock 3B22 tubes and everything just sounds better.  Headroom and bass is a definite step up.  I had to adjust my sub down.  Using it on my Torii Jrv2 along with Westinghouse OA3, Sylvania 6SN7 GTA, Philips JAN 5933(807).  Nice combo.  Plan to try 2A3 and 866a next.  The fun has just begun Cheesy

Torii Jr V2
Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #119 - 05/21/24 at 06:45:26

Somewhat interesting realization due to the STR: the increase in clean headroom allowed me to recognize some muddiness in the lower mids that I hadn't noticed before. I ended up removing my record weight and it cleaned up noticeably, improving instrument separation and revealing more "air" across the board. Vocals specifically are clearer and more holographic without the muddiness from the weight. I'd experimented with weight vs. no weight in the past and could never hear much of a difference. Now it's a clear as night and day. I suspect I may notice a few other little things like that as I get used to having the STR in my system.

IP Logged
Hearafter

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #120 - 05/21/24 at 07:05:55

image hosting
Fun glow light tonight.   CoolMercury Vapor RCA 866A first sighting.  Paired with a stock 3B22 they sound great together…excellent tone, very clear, detailed and airy.  Music seems to float for lack of better description.  Also, tried  an EH 2A3 with the 3B22 and they sound slightly different but very good, just not as airy with a bit fuller midrange/bass…splitting hairs here.  All sound much improved over 5UG4, 5GY4….installed into the amp.  Live music is mesmerizing.  I keep saying to myself What, How, Why?  I Look forward to hear how it sounds when some hours are logged on it. Thanks GS for starting this thread

Torii Jr V2
Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #121 - 05/22/24 at 13:36:05

BL, I’m still waiting for a few items to sell before I order a custom one for my amp! I wonder why the STR on the CSP3 is more enjoyable than the ZP3?

Hearafter, Wow! That 866A looks wild! I love it. Glad you’re enjoying the STR in your system. Eventually the What, how and why intensity has lowered for me, not gone away.

In a previous post I mentioned getting a metal tube to cover the 845s. They work well. I’m eventually going to add something under them to offer a bit of air flow.

https://www.autozone.com/intake-system/air-intake-components/p/spectre-6in-x-3-1...

IP Logged
Hearafter

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #122 - 05/22/24 at 16:24:38

GS- Those tubes surrounds look great…starting to look like my Supratek  preamp.  I feel like a boy in a toy store and can’t stop playing with the toys. These SR’s are tube rollers delight or curse.  So far in 2 days my fav’s are 866A/2A3, 866A/3B22, 3B22/2A3, 3B22/3B22, 5U4G/300B, 5U4G/5U4G. All sound significantly improved over a single tube in my Torii.   I tried using 2- 3B22 with the 300B and it just didn’t sound right - a bit off.  One of my 3B22’s top glowed/flickered like a fire purple. Looked concerning. Talked to Al and he said that was Ok due to different voltage running parallel  through the  adapter.  3B22’s glow more as voltage increases.  Have you used the  2 tube adapter?  Not sure I even need it with all these other choices that sound so good. I am thinking about building/adding Walnut sides on my Str-104 .  Easily done and should give it a more finished look.  Hearing is Believing! Tom

Torii Jr V2
Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #123 - 05/23/24 at 05:00:13

Hey Groovy,

I’m wondering if you could drill a series of vent holes on the back side of each tube cover. The light would go out the back, so it wouldn’t be so “in your face”, and it would dissipate some of the heat. Just a thought.

Randy

P.S. In situations like this I always ask myself WWDD? (What Would Donnie Do)?

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #124 - 05/23/24 at 15:11:07

If interested, I found a positive review of the STR along with a remarkable number of tubes that might be used with it here: https://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/space_tech_str104_e.html

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #125 - 05/23/24 at 17:37:08

Yes, they do look a little like the Supratek amps. My brother is trying to decide which STR to get and we have been talking about tube options for awhile. Add the top cap wire and a few adapters and there is a slew of options.

Tom, if you go back to one of my posts I posted a photo of the 3B22s and one of them glows much more than the other.

I’m planning on making little squishy footers for the tubes to rest on, I would like the tubes to be a bit higher so that will work out well. The heat put off by the tubes is much lower than I was expecting. I still would like to have more cooling for them.

I’m not going to paint them red so no to WWDD :p

Tony, thanks for sharing. I did come across that link when I was deciding to make the purchase.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #126 - 05/24/24 at 00:56:09

Well, I'm back on (a) waiting list .

Just sent in payment for a STR-1002 Super. AL said about 4 weeks until it ships out. I got the 300B adapters, am also going to get 845 and 211 tubes.

IP Logged
Hearafter

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #127 - 05/24/24 at 01:12:30

GS- I took a look at your  3B22 pics and see now that your tubes behave in the same manner when using the 2-tube adapter.  The left socket runs higher and lights up bright!  Good to know  it’s not just mine and  good info for future users. I have to say I am glad I bought the 104.  It sounds so good, I can use many tubes that I already own and it has so many tube options and combinations with the adapters.  I really didn’t want to get into those more expensive jumbo tubes and have to get them to fit in my audio cabinet.  I already have to rework the shelves to get the 2-tube adapter with 3B22’s.  Those 805/845’s look like they dwarf the other tubes.

STL DAC owners out there -  anyone have input and comments on how Al’s DAC’s perform?  They have peaked my interest after buying his STR.

Torii Jr V2
Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #128 - 05/24/24 at 01:28:58

Got my second pair of 866A tubes today to replace the the ones I fried on my first attempt by accidentally running them at 10v. Giving them a first spin right now. Very nice! Presentation is a little more laid back, but very full and lush. I think they're adding back a little of the sweet midrange I lost when I moved up to KT88s in the ZMA.

These are nicer than the 805A tubes that came with STR. I am definitely glad I decided to try mercury vapor sooner than later.

IP Logged
Hearafter

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #129 - 05/24/24 at 01:45:04

Bloodlemons- Those are the same RCA tubes I have.  Fantastic sounding tubes and cool blue glow.  Just curious…  Those are 2.5 v tubes running at 5v full wave.   Isn’t that going to really shorten their life?   I thought Al told me I had to run mine at 2.5 on my Str-104 to avoid very short life or failure.  Is the Str-1002 different? Am I missing something…it’s hard to keep all these variables straight.

Torii Jr V2
Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #130 - 05/24/24 at 01:50:54

I, uh.... have no idea. Al seems to think they'll work just fine. Maybe I'll shoot him an email.

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #131 - 05/24/24 at 02:36:40

Hearafter -

You have a good eye and just did me a big favor by pointing out my misunderstanding of the situation with the 866As. I emailed Al and and he responded very quickly. Apparently, I need two 845 to 866A base adaptors and a different top cap cable that splits one of the 5v currents into 2.5v to each tube and runs the two in series. So, ordering one of those right now. Al says it'll take approx two weeks to build, and then probably another week to get to me from Canada... I was so excited to run these tubes! My mercury vapor ride has been a real learning experience so far...

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #132 - 05/24/24 at 03:16:23

Quote:
Posted by: bloodlemons      Posted on: Today at 18:36:40

...My mercury vapor ride has been a real learning experience so far...

FYI you might be interested in the type 83 tube which is a 5V mercury vapor rectifier with a 4 pin base. However don't confuse it with the 83V which is also a 5V rectifier with a 4 pin base, but is the 4 pin version of the 5V4G.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #133 - 05/24/24 at 03:20:39

Quote:
Posted by: Hearafter      Posted on: Today at 17:12:30

STL DAC owners out there -  anyone have input and comments on how Al’s DAC’s perform?  They have peaked my interest after buying his STR

I don't have a STL DAC, but based on my experience with a STL 300B amp and the collective experience with the STR I wouldn't hesitate to buy any STL product that looked interesting. I think for the money it would be a great deal.

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #134 - 05/24/24 at 04:48:07

Thanks, CAJames! I'll look into it!

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #135 - 05/24/24 at 14:10:55

James, That’s exciting! I put the 300Bs back in and had a good listening session last night. I’m going to put some more time on them… Maybe.

My brother just placed an order for a STR-104 MK2 and a STR-1003. We have been talking about all the tube combos and possibilities, it really is mind boggling.

Hearafter, The 845s are huge, it’s really hard to get a sense of how big they are until picked up.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #136 - 05/24/24 at 15:55:51

Quote:
osted by: GroovySauce      Posted on: Today at 06:10:55

...I put the 300Bs back in and had a good listening session last night. I’m going to put some more time on them… Maybe.

FYI/FWIW what AL told me is the thing that matters is the size of the tube and distance from the cathode to the plate inside the tube. So the 300B is big, but the transmitting triodes are at a whole different level.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #137 - 05/24/24 at 17:12:33

The resistance of the tube is also a consideration.  Rectifiers are lower resistance compared to power tubes.  A rectifier might be 50-150 ohms.  A 4 pin jumbo might be as high as 8,000 ohms.  300b is around 700 ohms?

Running a tube with more resistance will have a larger voltage drop.

On my amp with 2x 845s the bias drops from 70ma to 35-40ma.  Running the 3B22 and 845 the bias isn’t changed much if at all.

Part of the bias drop could also be 2x 845s don’t provide enough current for the amp.  

Going to try 1 300b and 1 845 tonight on the TRP.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #138 - 05/24/24 at 17:35:23

Quote:
Posted by: GroovySauce      Posted on: Today at 09:12:33

...On my amp with 2x 845s the bias drops from 70ma to 35-40ma.  Running the 3B22 and 845 the bias isn’t changed much if at all.

Part of the bias drop could also be 2x 845s don’t provide enough current for the amp...  

Yeah, I feel like that is much more about the current than voltage drop. Different rectifiers have different voltage drops anyway, I think that is one of the big factors that makes rectifiers sound different. But JMO and all that.

IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #139 - 05/24/24 at 23:39:22

Hereafter,
"STL DAC owners out there -  anyone have input and comments on how Al’s DAC’s perform?  They have peaked my interest after buying his STR."

I own the STL DAC DSD-512-2 and so far I am impressed with it.  I am still breaking it in and so far it is slightly better than my Holo May KTE.  I just put in KT170's and I will take a listen on them.  Price comparison wise, I would say at this point, the STL DAC is a better buy.
Bob

IP Logged
Hearafter

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #140 - 05/25/24 at 02:45:16

Bob- Thanks  for the DAC reply.  If you don’t mind, keep us updated as you get some more hours logged on the DAC.  Curious if you see much change.  Do you have a super rectifier built in the DAC or one in your system?  I
think if I pulled the trigger I would get the 512 with the SR built in.  I have the Lab12 Ref NOS tube DAC now which uses just 2 E188CC’s.  I do like it a lot but have not done any comparisons to higher quality DACs or large tube DACs.

Torii Jr V2
Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #141 - 05/25/24 at 11:59:36

Hereafter,
I don’t have the STR built in and I will provide an update in the future.  I do have an STR into my CSP-3 feeding the UFO25th and Cary 300B SET monoblocks
Bob

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #142 - 05/26/24 at 14:48:09

Quote:
Yeah, I feel like that is much more about the current than voltage drop. Different rectifiers have different voltage drops anyway, I think that is one of the big factors that makes rectifiers sound different. But JMO and all that.

Not directly related. Yesterday I was at my brother’s, he adjusted the voltage out from the PSAudio P20. The bias was moving with the voltage change. It also jumped 5-7mA when going from multiwave to standard or the other way around I don’t remember which.

Running 1x 300B and 1x 845 was a nice sound and one I would be happy to listen to for a long time. This morning I changed to 2x 845s and the sound is bigger and bolder, seems to have more power behind the music. Still maintains the crisp, airy and floating highs.

The Linlai 211-TAs landed in New York, hoping they clear customs quickly.

STL offers a large range of DACS from $2,200 to $12,000.

My brother ordered a pair of Linlai 2A3s to try in the STR along with the Linlai e-845s. I’m guessing they will arrive before the STRs so I’ll get to try them and report back.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #143 - 05/26/24 at 16:03:27

Very interesting.

I'm going to order (Chinese) 845s and 211s from Billington next week. Depending on how it goes it is possible I'd spring for Elrogs down the line, if I ever feel like I haven't spent enough money on tubes .

Also FWIW, there is the 6A3 tube which is a 2A3 with a 6V heater, I think it would work fine at 5V if anyone cares.

IP Logged
Hearafter

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #144 - 05/26/24 at 16:37:27

GS- Interesting info.  Al is getting busier by the day👍.  
Well I just had my first “Oh Sh#!” moment forgetting to switch the 5v to 2.5v before hitting the power on. Lost a 3B22 and a 2A3.  I guess it happens to the best of us Grin.  Let us know how you like the Linlai 2A3 (and which one they are) if you try them out.  I may be in the market for a pair to run in my 2 tube adapter. So many different choices with Linlai and Psvane.  

James- “Exchanging Currency For Sound”

I discovered an excellent ebay seller for new well priced NOS military surplus if anyone is interested.  Picked up a pair of 3B22 and a type 83.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163550994098?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&s...

Torii Jr V2
Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #145 - 05/26/24 at 17:37:27

Quote:
Posted by: Hearafter      Posted on: Today at 08:37:27

...I discovered an excellent ebay seller for new well priced NOS military surplus if anyone is interested...

Curious what you think when they arrive. My experience with 80s vintage military surplus tubes (as those appear to be) is not good. But they were different tubes.

IP Logged
Hearafter

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #146 - 05/26/24 at 18:40:07

James, I will let you know they arrive Tues.  i bought Sylvania 0A3’s and Type 83 prior from this seller and they have been fine.  The OA3 are the same ones Steve included in most of his amps prior to sourcing his Russian NOS tubes.  This Cetron 3b22 is the same one Al includes in th STR with same date period.
The 83 I am using in my Hickok 605a tester.  I wanted a backup and I wanted to try one in my STR.  I agree 80’s military surplus tubes have not been high on my list but some are excellent but be very selective. I recently bought a quad of Phillips(formerly Sylvania) 5933 military black square plates military surplus and they sound very nice in my Torii Jr.

Torii Jr V2
Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #147 - 05/26/24 at 20:30:21

Learned through the Hoffman forum that 872A mercury vapor tubes run at 5v, so I ordered a few of those from eBay. I'm still going to get the adapters from Space Tech, but the 872A tubes I ordered will get here a lot sooner than the Space Tech order, so I won't have to be particularly patient in the meantime.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_872a.html

Hearafter: remembering to switch the voltage really is important! Live and learn, no?  :D

IP Logged
Hearafter

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #148 - 05/27/24 at 04:38:54

Bloodlemons- yep that darn switch got me…what’s sad is I have a feeling it won’t be my last.🤞.  
Wow that tube puts out 40 watts could be tough on the transformer.  Did you run it by Al just to verify it's a go in the STR? Really cool looking tube.

Torii Jr V2
Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #149 - 05/27/24 at 17:14:05

Quote:
I’m going to order (Chinese) 845s and 211s from Billington next week.

Generic ones or specific brand? I’ve had good luck with ebay sellers with good pricing for the 4 pin jumbo tubes.

I really don’t like selling tubes and I have a bunch I don’t know if I’ll ever use again.

If/when I listen to the 2A3s in my system I’ll report back.

From my own experience and others here. I’ve started to double and triple check the voltage before turning the STR on when swapping tubes now.

I’m 80% sure the STR-1002 has 60 watt transformers for the heaters.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print