Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 02:15:28 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Looking for tube advice for ufo2.1 (Read 650 times)
milkplus
Verified Member

Looking for tube advice for ufo2.1
03/28/24 at 17:33:36

Hi there. I have had my se84ufo2.1 for the last 12 months or so and have been super pleased with it. But the urge to tube roll has started to stir in me and I wanted to see what options I had available.

After a bit of reading on these forums, I reached out to a NOS dealer here in Norway to ask what they might recommend within my budget - I'm primarily interested in tightening up the bottom end but also keeping the presentation as dynamic and punchy as possible.

They came back to me with the following suggestions, but I just wanted to run it by the Decware hivemind to get a read on whether these are good choices, as I don't see much about them, particularly the rectifier.

Output: Svetlana 6N1P or Philips Miniwatt EL84 or Mullard CV2975 (mil spec EL84)

Rectifier: Western Electric 274

Anyone had experience with any of these? And, in the case of the input tubes, recommend one over the others?

My current speakers are Zu Audio DW mkII's, however I have a pair of Omega Junior 8 XRS's arriving in the next few weeks which will surplant the Zu's - if that's at all relevant.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Looking for tube advice for ufo2.1
Reply #1 - 03/28/24 at 18:28:57

My guess is he did not mean to recommend the 6N1P as that is an INPUT tube.

Personally I am not a fan of output tubes other than the 6P15P (aka SV83) tube as this one takes advantage of the CCE mod, and I always hear the lack of that mod and prefer to hear it. Just my 2 cents.

I am not sure if a WE 274B is compatible with the amp--and is probably going to be very expensive.

As input tubes I have boiled down my favorites to NOS Amperex 7308 or Cryotone ECC88-WC.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #2 - 03/29/24 at 01:02:41

Agree with a lot of what Lon says.  I think a WE 274B would work fine in your amp, but probably cost more than the amp itself. I would recommend a Mullard GZ33 rectifier. A lot of people also like the Sophia Electric Aqua 274B, with which I have no experience. Neither of those are cheap, but they are considerably less than a NOS Western Electric rectifier.

For power tubes, sticking with Decware 6P15Ps is a safe bet. For me, I get the best results from EL822s with a 6CH6 to EL84 adapter, but that is very much YMMV. A lot of people have tried NOS EL84s and I recall a lot of them being disappointed, including me.

Another option, one that I haven't tried but several posters like, is getting a tubes from Cryotone. There are links on the Decware replacement tube page.

There are a bunch of threads, in the Replacement Tube forum as well as the different UFO fora about tubes. I suggest taking some time to read them. There is a lot more wisdom to be found on this site than can be summarized in a single post.

Tube rolling is a lot of fun, but can become a bit of an addiction. You've been warned.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
milkplus
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 03/29/24 at 12:03:32

Thanks for the info, gents! Although it sounds like the tubes that he has recommended really aren't rated by either of you haha.

I do see there is someone locally here that is selling a Mullard GZ33 for ~€50 which isn't too bad and could be worth a punt.CAJames, any insight on how it might vary the amp's sound compared to the stock rectifier?

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #4 - 03/29/24 at 15:59:38

Quote:
Posted by: milkplus      Posted on: Today at 04:03:32

...I do see there is someone locally here that is selling a Mullard GZ33 for ~€50 which isn't too bad and could be worth a punt.CAJames, any insight on how it might vary the amp's sound compared to the stock rectifier?

That is an excellent price for a GZ33. My experience is it makes the sound better in pretty much every way: bigger soundstage, more detail, more dynamics and a little bit more "tube yumminess" in the overall sound.

IP Logged
milkplus
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 03/29/24 at 23:10:18

That's encouraging to hear! In which case I will snatch one up and check it out. I guess it also begs the question then of whether there are any input/output tubes you'd recommend pairing with the GZ33?

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #6 - 03/30/24 at 03:24:10

Hi Milkplus,

A few months ago,  I bought a couple of Mullard GZ33s from England and think they sound great. I put together enough of a package deal for these tubes plus a few others to qualify for the seller's discount,  but two is one more than I need.  If interested in purchasing the one not in use, drop me a PM.

Tony

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
milkplus
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 03/30/24 at 04:23:01

Thanks, Tony. But I already put in and order from someone selling locally earlier today. Glad to hear that the GZ33 is working well in your system though. I'm actually waiting on my first pair of Omega speakers (Junior 8 XRS's) that Louis is building for me and would be keen to hear your thoughts on how your Omegas (I peeped your signature) pair with your ufo25 (and the GZ33) if you're ok to share Smiley

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #8 - 03/30/24 at 15:03:52

Quote:
Posted by: milkplus      Posted on: Yesterday at 15:10:18

...whether there are any input/output tubes you'd recommend pairing with the GZ33?

The GZ33 makes every tube sound its best in my experience, but specifically:

For output tubes I'd suggest either the Decware 6P15Ps or, if you feel adventurous, EL822s with 6CH6 to EL84 adapters.

There are many, many options for input tubes. Two that I liked with my UFOs that are less common are the PCC189 and the 6CG7/6FQ7. Both are pin compatible with the standard input tubes so no adapter needed.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #9 - 03/30/24 at 22:32:29

I’d take CAJames advice and become adventurous.  Through his advice…I went with the EL822 with the adapters, and I really liked the sound.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #10 - 03/31/24 at 03:41:17

Hey, milkplus. About a year ago, I followed CA James' advice regarding the EL822s with an adapter and have them playing in my amp now. I go back and forth between them and the 6P15P, which also sounds great, but I prefer the EL822s.

To follow up on the Omega speakers, I consider them one of the best buys I have made. The Super Alnico High Output Monitor I bought from another guy have been superb. I took a quick peek at your Junior 8 XRSs on the Omega website, and I'm sure they will knock your socks off Smiley

Enjoy

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
milkplus
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 04/09/24 at 20:22:05

Just wanted to check back in to say that the GZ33 I bought arrived and I am stunned by the improvement to the sound compared to the stock rectifier. I honestly wasn't expecting such a significant difference but everything just sounds fantastic. More dynamics - tighter, weightier bass and far more depth to the soundstage. Appreciate the recommendation, folks!

Now I'm curious to try the El822s... Any suggestions on where to buy (with adaptors) that might ship to Norway?

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #12 - 04/09/24 at 21:25:50

I'm glad you like the GZ33, for €50 I think you got it at a very good price.

For EL822, Langrex is a good source:

https://www.langrex.co.uk/products/el822cv2382-mullard-valve-tube-new/

I got the adapters from ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202978089349

Good luck!

IP Logged
milkplus
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 04/09/24 at 21:41:06

Cheers! Will look into it Smiley

IP Logged
milkplus
Verified Member

Reply #14 - Yesterday at 06:57:54

Popping back in again to say thanks! The  EL822s (+adaptors) arrived earlier this week and they sound fantastic! I feel like I'm getting far more definition in the bass,  so much so that I'm wondering if it's placebo. Will swap in the old tubes over the weekend and check. But either way, it's not worse!

One thing is the adaptors don't sit flush against the body of the amp because of the screws that hold pin slot in place. It makes them a bit loose as a result. Doesn't seem to affect the sound, bur just wondering if that's something to be mindful of? And if other have the same issue?

Moving on to input tubes now...as you guys have not steered me wrong so would be keen on your advice..I see a Electro-harmonix 6CG7 and Siemens PCC189 available locally for a decent price...

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #15 - Yesterday at 14:39:13

Quote:
Posted by: milkplus      Posted on: Yesterday at 22:57:54
Popping back in again to say thanks! The  EL822s (+adaptors) arrived earlier this week and they sound fantastic! I feel like I'm getting far more definition in the bass,  so much so that I'm wondering if it's placebo. Will swap in the old tubes over the weekend and check. But either way, it's not worse!

One thing is the adaptors don't sit flush against the body of the amp because of the screws that hold pin slot in place...

You're very welcome, glad you're enjoying them.

Dominick (Dom) recently posted a picture (that I can't find) of a similar issue with an adaptor that didn't fit between the screws. I would say it is not a critical problem, but it is not ideal. If you are handy you could try making a (very) small notch in the edge of the adapter so it fits over the screw. Or, you could get an inexpensive 9 pin socket saver that will likely fit better between the screws.

Quote:
Moving on to input tubes now...as you guys have not steered me wrong so would be keen on your advice..I see a Electro-harmonix 6CG7 and Siemens PCC189 available locally for a decent price...

School is out and you have graduated, you are on your own now . Input tubes can be highly variable and highly personal so my advice is don't be afraid to try them, but don't expect great results from every tube. But do let us know what you find! Also, if you haven't already, I would start looking through other threads about tube rolling to see what other posters do and don't like.

You mentioned the placebo effect, and one thing to keep in mind when you're changing tubes is volume does have an effect on perceived audio quality, with louder being "better." So if a tube don't sound great consider whether the volume is the same as your usual listening level. Another thing to consider when you're changing input tubes is the bias switch in the front of the amp. It will change the performance of an input tube for better or worse, but will also change the volume. So be sure to adjust it to make a fair comparison.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print