Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/28/24 at 00:39:30 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pre-amp vs using volume control on the Jr. (Read 306 times)
TexJ
Verified Member

Pre-amp vs using volume control on the Jr.
03/27/24 at 11:07:45

GM everyone, I was curious if anyone has a preamp paired with their T Jr and if there was any benefit of volume control vs using the volume on the Jr.? I have a Torii Jr. ordered but I am trying to decide if I want to only run a phono on it or use multiple sources such as a streamer or a CD player too.

IP Logged
JMeader

Re: Pre-amp vs using volume control on the Jr.
Reply #1 - 03/27/24 at 17:10:47

I use a  Schiit Freye S ( non tube ) pre amp with my Torii Jr V2

Steve has indicated that a pre amp can add gain to your system which, while not required is beneficial  for all the Decware amps.

When I added mine is there was a positive change in the sound stage and it gave me remote control over my volume for both my La Scala's and my Velodyne subwoofer

BTW with the pre amp in place my volume control on the Torii Jr is 1/2 and the volume on the pre amp seldom gets above 1/2

Basically a pre amp adds gain to the signal from your source which allows the Torii Jr to not work as hard. My very simplistic explanation

Decware makes a great pre amp but a long waiting list, there are many pre amp options available for you to choose from. I choose the Schiit Freye S as it had XLR inputs which I use out of my Denafrips  Dac

CD's Digitized via Exact Copy
Music Files read by Audirvana Studio
on Win10 PC
Sent to Pontus 2 12th -1 via USB
out XLR to Schiit Frya S PreAmp
Torii Jr V2
to fully updated 1987 La Scala's
  IP Logged
TexJ
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 03/30/24 at 17:35:18

Thanks for the info. I was afraid of adding too much gain and developing clipping.

IP Logged
Hearafter
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 04/01/24 at 02:52:46

I use a Tube Preamp with my Torii JrV2.  It has remote which was a requirement for me but it definitely gives me a lot of flexibility to adjust sound quality to different preferences.  Additional tubes you can  roll and my preamp has an adjustable gain control to taylor the gain best for your amp.  I like having my preamp gain set low at about 8-9:00 and my amp at 12-1:00. My preamp definitely gives me extra gain to play with but my 88db speakers don't need it.

Torii Jr V2
Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Bricasti M5 Network Streamer
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
TexJ
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 04/01/24 at 18:30:11

I know this seems terrible but I like how the Supratek preamps look.  I have existing components for when the Torii Jr gets here but my current targets are a Supratek preamp, Pontus and Clayton Shaw's Caladan speakers. If I decide to stream, I'm looking at Lemin U2 mini.

IP Logged
Hearafter
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 04/01/24 at 19:39:16

Nothing terrible about liking other component brands to go with your Decware amp.  Don Sachs pre was my close second choice. All your choices are good and will sound great.  I would like to try open baffles but their width and my room doesn’t allow me to pull them far enough into my living space.   Check out a used Bricasti M3 it has a fantastic DAC and streamer combo.  That would  be my choice if i didn’t like my tube NOS DAC so much.  Enjoying the journey!

Torii Jr V2
Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Bricasti M5 Network Streamer
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
My Name is Earl
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 04/20/24 at 15:00:55

I don’t have a Torii Jr., though I’ve been reading about it. I have the SE84UFO and last year I added the Lab12 Pre 1 to give me some gain (and remote control) … it transformed my system. By transformed I don’t mean taking it from poor to perfect, I mean from excellent to superb - at least in my room, my components, my tastes, etc.

The Pre 1 is single ended with two 6922 tubes. I don’t know which tubes come stock (I’ve not removed the cover … yet) but I’m not sure I could do much better or it would be worth the time and effort. Having a remote for all functions except power (the amp has no standby mode, which is due to such a feature being detrimental to its circuit design) is great.

I have the SE84 volume at 1 o’clock but I may back it off and play with other combinations. I seriously doubt that would make a big difference, if even noticeable.

Personally I would not use a solid state preamp in front of a tube power amp, at least not most SS preamps. I think a tube preamp feeding a (good) solid state amp makes more sense.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print