Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/27/24 at 18:47:55 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Torii MKV - KT88 vs EL34 (Read 340 times)
Sai

Torii MKV - KT88 vs EL34
03/24/24 at 11:47:56

I’ve read a bunch of folks online say that the KT88 has extended lows and highs and slightly less bloom on midrange as compared to the EL34.
My listening so far has been exclusively listening to the Torii MKV with EL34 tubes.

I was wondering if folks could offer up:
What their experience was using a KT88?
Which KT88 they used?
And what they liked/disliked about it?

Zu Soul Supreme V, Torii MKV 25th Anniversary Mods, Rogue Audio RP7, Aurender N100H, Denafrips Ares II, Nottingham Space 294 w. Shelter Harmony MC, AllNic H-1202 Phono
  IP Logged
bloodlemons

Q s
Reply #1 - 03/25/24 at 05:19:37

I recently took the plunge on KT88s from EL34s in my ZMA and I am exceedingly happy. What you've already heard is true: lows go lower, highs go higher, soundstage is taller and wider; "sweetness" in the midrange is swapped out in favor of stability and realism. No particular frequencies appear emphasized or "hyped." Everything just sounds better across the board. (IMO; YMMV).

For comparison's sake: I was running RFT EL34s biased at 50 mA per Decware's ZMA manual. The RFTs sound really good; very sweet midrange. I am now running NOS GEC KT88s biased at 60 mA, per Steve's instructions via email shortly after I made the switch.

The GECs were kind of a holy grail tube for me, and I'm very happy with them. However, I tried two other sets of KT88s from different brands before settling on the GECs and the "KT88 effect" was in full force in all three quads. Not to say they all sound the same (they don't), but in my experience you're going to get the KT88 experience across the board so long as you get a dependable quad of decent quality valves. Many people seem to think Tung Sol is making the best affordable, mass-market KT88 right now, and the set I auditioned briefly gave me no reason to doubt that opinion.

If you do go the KT88 route, expect to give them 50 hours or so to settle in. I honestly didn't like the sound at first, thought I'd made a huge mistake and all that. It didn't take long for things to come together and now I only regret that I waited so long to try them out.

IP Logged
Sai

Re: Torii MKV - KT88 vs EL34
Reply #2 - 03/25/24 at 10:30:33

Thanks so much for sharing. I actually bought a quad of GEC KT88 tubes as well! That said though, wondering if I should purchase a modern set of KT88 tubes so I can realize what the GEC brings to the table over and above?
My thoughts right now are to purchase a quad set of Linlai KT88 tubes.

Also, appreciate the feedback around the break in hours.

Zu Soul Supreme V, Torii MKV 25th Anniversary Mods, Rogue Audio RP7, Aurender N100H, Denafrips Ares II, Nottingham Space 294 w. Shelter Harmony MC, AllNic H-1202 Phono
  IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #3 - 03/25/24 at 17:04:16

Nice on the GECs! It took me a few tries to find a NOS quad that didn't have any issues. But they're great.

I personally would not expect to find anything in another set of KT88s that you won't find in the GECs. I have a quad of KR Enterprise KT88s and they are very nice; I was able to swap in a KR or two with the GECs while I was dealing with getting a solid GEC quad. I did not notice any diminishment in SQ with the KRs in place, so I'm keeping them as a very solid backup quad.

Some of the Linai's did look interesting, I'll admit. A lot of decent Chi-Fi out there these days.

IP Logged
Sai

Reply #4 - 03/25/24 at 21:00:25

Gotcha… yeah so I’m really hoping the GEC quad works. They are truly new and I bought them for a mortgage payment at Langrex.

Re: Chi-Fi, my approach has been to buy from reputed dealers that do their own screening. Like with Linlai, I bought it at Grant Fidelity and paid the extra $ for their “Top 10% Quad.” No guarantee it will last but I hope it helps some…. Also, a fan of the dealers that offer burn in services. That way at least if it blows up in the process, they’ll take care of it!

IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #5 - 03/26/24 at 01:46:04

Regarding your "mortgage payment" comment: Yup! My first attempt at buying a full quad was indeed more than my monthly house payment. I justify the price to myself in the hope that the GECs live up to their potential 20,000 hour lifespan. Life is uncertain, but these could very well be the last KT88s I ever buy!

I ordered mine from Japanese sellers with solid return policies, just in case. (I find that, generally, Japanese sellers are very straightforward and easy to deal with as far as internet sales go.) It turned out that I did need to return two of the first batch, which worked intermittently but probably weren't safe to run. I think with tubes as old as these GECs, even if they've never been used and look fine, you just never know what they've been through as far as storage and handling over the years.

The nice thing about sourcing true NOS tubes is that even though I had to piece my quad together, they are all still reasonably matched due to GEC's high production and QC standards.

IP Logged
Sai

Reply #6 - 03/26/24 at 11:03:15

Wise words indeed!

I did see that there are several Japanese sellers on eBay selling these tubes.  Good to hear that they’ve been solid to deal with!

At some point, when I visit Japan, I’d love to stumble across one of these sellers. I hear that the “Akihabara” area in Tokyo is the place to find them.

IP Logged
Sai

Reply #7 - 03/26/24 at 21:28:51

Started playing the GEC KT 88 tubes and my goodness! Only have a few hours on them and what an awesome experience!

Fuller sound, extension on the lower and higher ends, but ruler flat overall. No EL34 midrange bump. Initial thoughts are this is an incredibly detailed tube! I’d say it has lesser tube romance than my EL34 Mullard XF2 tubes, but have more oomph!

Love what I’m hearing so far!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print