Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/28/24 at 17:17:26 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gain Staging CSP3 into ZMA (Read 132 times)
bloodlemons

Gain Staging CSP3 into ZMA
03/22/24 at 20:28:05

I just picked up a new-to-me CSPS/Anniversary Mods. I'm running into my Zen Mystery Amp. The combination sounds very, very good.

I am in no way having difficultly finding good settings, but I'm curious to see if anyone here has preferred settings for this combo, or a philosophy on how gain staging should properly apply in this situation.

FWIW, I'm currently setting the ZMA at about 40% output and then using the CSP3 to get whatever seems like proper volume for the listening situation. This combo, which minor adjustments depending on the source material, seems to allow for a more holographic soundstage, but it's still early days for me and this setup.

Anyway, thoughts and dogma welcome here!

Thorens TD 125 Mk II w/SME 3009 and ZYX Ultimate Airy Exceed; Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vestigal Arm and Grado TLZ; ZP3; CSP3; ZMA; ZSB; Mac Mini; Teac PD-301-X; Sorcer X4+; SDFB w/ Super Duper Sluggos; Decware cords and interconnects
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Re: Gain Staging CSP3 into ZMA
Reply #1 - 03/22/24 at 20:55:47

I run my ZMA at ~4O% and CSP3 at ~ 40-50% depending on the source and recording. Both have the 25th Anniversary modifications. The ZMA drives a pair of Caintuck F15 Magnum OB speakers and my small listening room is 13.5' x 15.5' x 7'.

Using a quad of matched Gold Lion KT77 power tubes, 6N5P input tubes from Decware, and 1940's RCA OA3's in the ZMA. Also a Swiss Digital Fuse Box (SDFB) w/ copper sluggo in the ZMA and one coming for the CSP3. FWIW the SDFB is highly recommended, really opens up the panfull potential.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
bloodlemons

Re: Gain Staging CSP3 into ZMA
Reply #2 - 03/22/24 at 22:01:41

Perfect! We are both in the same ballpark as far as gain goes, pretty close on a number of other factors as well: I'm using GEC KT88s, a variety of cherry-picked NOS tubes for everything else, Sophia Aqua II for rectifiers. SDFBs are also in play; I have the new rhodium-plated Sluggos on their way to my from Vera-Fi as we speak... Good times!

Thorens TD 125 Mk II w/SME 3009 and ZYX Ultimate Airy Exceed; Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vestigal Arm and Grado TLZ; ZP3; CSP3; ZMA; ZSB; Mac Mini; Teac PD-301-X; Sorcer X4+; SDFB w/ Super Duper Sluggos; Decware cords and interconnects
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print