Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 10:20:13 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
XLR Input (Read 424 times)
The other Lon

XLR Input
03/16/24 at 23:58:42

Question regarding having XLR input on a Torii MKV. Is there a downside to adding this to the build? I feel there is not as this gives one RCA and one XLR, which is all I have for sources. I have an SE84 CKC that is configured this way and I like having the option.

Just do not know if there is a downside where it’s best not to go this route. I’ll be parts pulled within 7-10 days so I need to decide soon. Any thoughts are appreciated.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: XLR Input
Reply #1 - 03/17/24 at 00:11:37

Lon,
Here's my devil's advocate position: consider a ZBIT instead. Yes, it's like 30 dollars more, and you'll need another interconnect. BUT. . .in all the times that I have had a ZBIT and used one (which is quite some time now) the sound is better with the full output from the balanced source REDUCED rather than full output. I have always enjoyed having that adjustable output going into the amplifier. Also. . . if you change sources in the future to another with an RCA output, you can then take the ZBIT out and utilize that second RCA input.

And if time is an issue, as it might be, Pine Tree Audio can build you a very similar unit to the ZBIT for just under half the price in three or four weeks. I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the one I have and a ZBIT. They sound basically the same, which is excellent.

There, from one Lon to another, submitted for your consideration.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
The other Lon

Reply #2 - 03/18/24 at 18:48:08

Thanks for the insight Lon. Makes perfect sense. Most likely I’ll keep it in the family with the ZBIT.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 03/18/24 at 20:04:58

Give it some thought. And if the timeline makes a difference. . .  I got a second of the Pinetree Audio transformer units in last week, took just over three weeks from order to delivery, so that I could move the ZBIT from my audio-visual system into the main system to use between my phono preamp's balanced output and the second input on my SEWE300B. Installed in the audio/visual system honestly I can slightly imagine a subtle difference between it and the ZBIT it replaces. . . but I think there is not really a discernable difference. I'm not sure how Jesse of Pinetree Audio does it, but it's nice work indeed. He will build it XLR to RCA or RCA to XLR (just as Steve will) and with or without a gain control.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
1stwattlife

Reply #4 - 03/19/24 at 17:50:29

What a good question... My first impulse was "DO IT!", I am sure this is because the first time I REALLY heard and listened to the difference between balanced and unbalanced it was on this amp, so I am a fan. After Lon's answer the analytical part of my brain said that separating the function to its own box would reduce the possibility of interference, and also, if anything ever happened to it the shipping back for service would be a lot cheaper.  I love it when you guys get me rethinking my initial jumps in reason. Thanks for the inspiration, and good luck on your decision making!

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #5 - 03/19/24 at 22:19:49

The other Lon… I would highly recommend buying the ZBIT as a stand alone unit as opposed to incorporating it into the Torii, for the same reason that Lon pointed out.  I’m sure the Pine Tree is a solid unit, but for me I like to look at the potential resale value down the road.  I would wager that the Decware unit would hold its long term value better, and would probably be easier to sell, if you ever chose to do so.  If you have no desire to resell…then maybe it’s a moot point.

Also….I would recommend getting the ZBIT configured with dual controls for each channel.  That way you could correct for any potential channel imbalances by tweaking each channel separately based on your room acoustics.  Mine have the dual controls, and I really like having the adjustability.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 03/19/24 at 22:26:12

I have one ZBIT with dual controls too. I bet Pinetree Audio would make one.

The basic unit from Pinetree Audio is just over one third the cost of the ZBIT, so "resale value" is actually not quite as serious as matter, and I think I've seen a resale at a pretty decent margin recently.

And . .. it may take more than six months to get a ZBIT from Decware. Probably a bit less than a month to get the Pinetree. Lon may be waiting months to get a ZBIT to go with his amp.

In an ideal world the ZBIT would be an obvious choice. In this case price and lead time are not on its side. I love my two ZBITs, AND my two Pinetree Audio units. To my thinking at least . . . it boils down to how much time you want to wait.

IP Logged
The other Lon

Reply #7 - 03/20/24 at 00:34:57

Excellent information everyone. This is why the forum is so useful. I did put the order in for the ZBIT. Time is all relative. The XLR is not a must have as the unit also has RCA out, just a nice to have. I prefer how it sounds using the XLR though.

The PT device would most likely suffice if it was an immediate need based on the great reviews everyone has provided of it. Great to support other quality products as well.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print