Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 23:44:08 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Help! I'm having an experience! (Read 3486 times)
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Re: Help! I'm having an experience!
Reply #50 - 04/16/24 at 10:20:19

Yes, Steve used the HDTs as a voicing tool in all his designs. I was really impressed with the HDTs on my last visit. Is the latest scheme of the HWs transcendental from the Upside Down?

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
1stwattlife

Reply #51 - 04/16/24 at 17:22:20

Hmmm... If you are referring to the tweeter location, I would assume that there is definitely something to it. I will be waiting for the definitive answer, but want to throw out an idea to see if I am on the right track...

The full range driver and tweeter sit in a plate, and will stay placed together in the current setup which situates them for the time alignment needed for cohesive sound, per speaker. The plate can be rotated, changing the orientation of the drivers in relationship to the speaker baffle and room, but not to themselves, keeping the time alignment while at the same time being able to 'zero in' the presentation of the sound in the room relative more to reflections, versus massive changes in the initial waves directly from the baffle/ drivers...

If I am even 10% right I will be proud of myself! lOl

Now, we play the waiting game!!

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 04/17/24 at 12:01:27

Phil,
My last sentence was a whimsical reference to the “Upside Down” parallel reality in the Netflix “Stranger Things” series. Love that series and the family teases me because of my ability to sit through a whole season in one sitting. Normally I do not watch TV at all except when tired, usually falling asleep, or catching up on current events.

Anyhow, I like where you went with it.

Your thoughts are valid and inline with how things can play out with speaker and driver positioning.

In this situation, I think that using a box from a different design with new drivers limit the choice of drivers to fit the space allotted. The two drivers charts show a peak around 3k varying with off axis response. Placing the tweeters on the in or out position can change what is heard for better or worse. I suggest it might be better to place the plates with the tweeters on the inner most side if not already tried. As far as time alignment, most of that was perfected with the choice of crossover values, correcting the difference in depth of sound wave origin of the two drivers. From all the talk it seems like a home run was hit here!

Cheers Smiley

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print