Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZF15F vs Lii 15 Baffle (Read 411 times)
rsmigel
Verified Member

ZF15F vs Lii 15 Baffle
03/06/24 at 22:59:03

Hi All,

1st post here.  I’m an old school ‘audiophile’ looking to rebuild my 1970’s stereo (Rotel/Pioneer/Polk) from scratch.  I’ve recently ordered a SE84UFO25 and Cambridge CXNv2 but gave away my speakers and am now leaning to a new pair of open baffles.  I typically listen to old Alt Rock (Radiohead, Turning Leaf, Emancipator, Thievery Corporation, Tangerine Dream) and classical… at low volume levels below 80dB.

I’ve emailed Randy back and forth the last few days and am wondering if his smaller baffles would be ‘appreciably’ different vs Steve’s larger baffles, even the medium ones given the music I enjoy.  I don’t know anyone here but Randy seems like a great guy.  And I’m really leaning to these open baffles.

My listening room is 18’ x 24’ with the speakers being placed somewhere along the longer wall.

It’s a bitch that I have a Delta Unisaw, planer, jointer, multiple routers and a 17” Rikon bandsaw that sees little use because my job provides no spare time to cut wood.

Then I have to sell 15" drivers to Wifey.  We currently listen to a Bose surround sound system with little cubes that disappear amongst her decorating…

IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Re: ZF15F vs Lii 15 Baffle
Reply #1 - 03/06/24 at 23:43:06

Welcome, rsmigal. Wow, you make me feel like a relict calling that music old alt rock. Lol. I share similar tastes, among others. The open baffles can sound really good with that genre but you’ll need to be able to pull them 4 feet or more away from the wall to get them sounding great. If your partner isn’t aligned with that thought you may want to consider different speakers. The Decware 84 handles so many speakers well so you have options.
I’m sure someone here will have something for you. You are off to a good start with the Cambridge. Im sure the many experts here will chime in.

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/07/24 at 06:14:38

Hey rsmigel,

One of the things that I’ve come to appreciate about Randy’s Betsy open baffle is how portable it is. You can move it out from the wall when you want to listen, and then put it back when not listening. That’s not so easy to do with the larger baffles.

Randy

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/07/24 at 21:31:26

Concur.
The handle is essential. I found handles on Amazon that worked for me. Barn door handles.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RJV6F46/?coliid=I1HWR60G925FEV&colid=GPJJMZZ1PZZ4&p...

I plan to order a second pair and place two of these handles on my upcoming project baffles.
Only reason is that this new baffle project of mine will include the F15 and the W15 in the same baffle.

The second handle will be placed between the two drivers for an additional grip and possibly some stability to where I just cut all the strength out of the baffle for the drivers.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/07/24 at 21:48:16

Rsmigel,
Going from 3 inch cubes to open baffle 15s may be a journey, but good luck. Does she like music? If so, you can call that an ace.
Grin

I would say that with your room size the differences between a small baffle and a larger baffle would be pronounced. Bigger baffle winning every skirmish.

If you've not tried an open baffle speaker system, you are in for some enjoyable surprises.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
rsmigel
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 03/08/24 at 14:03:18

Thanks for all the input guys.

I love the simplicity of the open baffles.  That's how I discovered Decware and Randy's Open Baffle Design.

Wifey is more focused on decorating than music so for her the Bose cubes are fine.  Either I need to dedicate another room to listening or buy/build a more traditional looking speaker like the DNA or HDT.   She would (likely) accept a fine looking wood speaker like what Steve makes.

But the open baffle is so simple to make.  I'm now leaning to building a pair for another room and then selling them should I re-engineer my main room down the road when my UFO25 arrives.

I just need time to start making chips...

IP Logged
DowdyPrime
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 03/12/24 at 22:50:54

HI rsmigel. I'm in exactly the same position, modulo that I'm building my own baffles. Actually, I have to decide between the F15s and the Fast 15s from Lii (which is an agonizing choice). Keep us posted on what you discover!

Waitlist Member!
For now: Technics 1200MK2, Jolida 9A preamp, Pi2AES streamer, Bifrost Gen 1 DAC, Chord Mojo Gen 1, Reisong A10, Peachtree Decco65, Zu Audio Dirty Weekend Omens, Monitor Audio Silver 6s. Monoprice/Morrow cables.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print