Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/27/24 at 08:15:12 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Which Rectifier is everybody using in their ZP3.. (Read 1357 times)
Delta 77

Which Rectifier is everybody using in their ZP3..
03/05/24 at 19:29:27

I'm about to purchase a new rectifier for my ZP3.
I'm having trouble making a decision.
Please reply with which one you are using or had experience with.

Thanks, Burt.

INNUOS-ZEN mk3(streamer)
HOLO-Spring3(dac)
DECWARE-Zrock2-25th
DENON-DP59L (TT)
DECWARE-ZP3
ARIC AUDIO-Passive pre
DECWARE-ZMA
TEKTON-Double Impact SE
TEKTON-Enzo sub x 2
PI AUDIO-UberBUSS
PIaudio/Hapa/Zenwave/TWL
DECWARE-CSP3-25th(HP amp)
ZMF ”Auteur”
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Which Rectifier is everybody using in their ZP3..
Reply #1 - 03/05/24 at 20:21:30

I didn't add a Sophia Electric Aqua 274B into the mix before I sold my ZP3 years ago, but since then I've put that up against every other rectifier type I've tried (dozens) and it wins in all the Decware components I've tried it in. Only to be upset from its throne last year by the new Auqua II rectifier. So I'd recommend trying one of the two.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Delta 77

Reply #2 - 03/05/24 at 20:47:49

Deleted

INNUOS-ZEN mk3(streamer)
HOLO-Spring3(dac)
DECWARE-Zrock2-25th
DENON-DP59L (TT)
DECWARE-ZP3
ARIC AUDIO-Passive pre
DECWARE-ZMA
TEKTON-Double Impact SE
TEKTON-Enzo sub x 2
PI AUDIO-UberBUSS
PIaudio/Hapa/Zenwave/TWL
ZMF ”Auteur”
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 03/05/24 at 21:54:59

The Sophia Electric Aqua and Aqua II 274B tubes are different than the classic and many modern 274B tubes and they are electrically compatible with the 5U4G and work perfectly in a Decware component such as the ZP3. (In the last six years I have had no issues with these rectifiers).

https://sophiaelectric.com/products/pages-se-aqua-274b

https://tinyurl.com/Aqua-II

From their pages:

In 2016, Sophia Electric released the revolutionary blue glass Aqua 274B that lifted the capacitance limitation (above), broadening the 274B market to be almost fully interchangeable with a 5U4G.

This MK II version of Aqua 274B tube is the ultimate 274B from Sophia Electric.  It delivers an unforgettable magical sound that is the trademark of Sophia Electric vacuum tube house sound.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/05/24 at 21:57:37

Currently I’m using a Cryotone 5ar4, out of what I have on hand it’s been the best overall and very smooth. I’ve used a Mullard GZ32 and RCA 5v4, too much emphasis on bass. I’ve also tried 5U4G and 5U4GB. I do have two Mullard GZ33’s but those are in my UFO and CSP. I am intrigued by the Sophia, but at its cost and some of the reported issues with them I’m a bit hesitant to try one…yet.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 03/05/24 at 22:00:02

I've been happy with three types of Cryotone tubes but I hated the sound of their 5AR4. Glad you have had success with yours.

IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #6 - 03/05/24 at 22:01:42

I recently got my first Sophia 274B Aqua2 for my UFO25 and concur with everything Lon said. This 274B is different from others, even other Sophia 274B, like the mesh plate. The Aqua’s are designed to be used with a capacitor value up to 47uf, for the first capacitor following the rectifier. Most 274B’s are rated up to 4 or 8uf. With Decware amps typically having a 47uf capacitor, the Aqua is the most appropriate of the 274B tubes to use in the amps and a direct replacement for the 5U4G.

Mofi Ultradeck w/ Hana ML>Sutherland Insight>Eversolo DMP-A6>CSP3-A>SE84UFO25>Energy Veritas>REL T7i
  IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #7 - 03/05/24 at 22:03:23

Ooops. Lon beat me to it. 😁

Mofi Ultradeck w/ Hana ML>Sutherland Insight>Eversolo DMP-A6>CSP3-A>SE84UFO25>Energy Veritas>REL T7i
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 03/05/24 at 23:23:36

So it’s Aqua 2 good, mesh bad? Is that correct? 40 years ago I had a steel trap memory, nowadays I can’t keep acronyms and tube number and letters correct. Euro vs US names! Then there’s Cyrillic! I will say the infinite options is a better problem rather than being tied down to just one or two choices.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 03/06/24 at 00:10:07

Yes, the Aqua 274B and the Aqua II 274B are totally compatible, the Mesh plate 274B will probably work, but will fail very early and probably take out a few fuses. . . not a good monetary choice.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 03/06/24 at 22:14:23

Quote:
Currently I’m using a Cryotone 5ar4, out of what I have on hand it’s been the best overall and very smooth.

Second that.  I've used both in my UFO's and ended up preferring the 5AR4-WC.  Haven't tried the V2 yet.  

The matter of preference is subjective but the following is not, so a word of caution if one is new to 5AR4's or any rectifier with an indirectly heated cathode...

These will have a time delay on start up, sometimes referred to as a soft start.  That's great for the component but bad if one is impatient, one of the qualities that I need to improve on.  So if one is rolling or turning on a component with an indirectly heated cathode, don't switch it on and off before it starts up and has time to "settle".  If you do you risk the tube, any soft start tube, blowing and possibly taking out a fuse in the process.

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 03/10/24 at 19:46:18

I'm using the Mullard GZ32 with great results, but I must add I'm also using an OD3 voltage regulator. I think it's important when experimenting with rectifiers to also consider voltage regulators. I prefer the OD3 regulators in everywhere I can put them because I can't have a treated living room and they reduce the bass overloading the room. Not that I don't have bass, I do, it's just tighter and more refined with these regulators.

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Delta 77

Reply #12 - 03/10/24 at 21:43:55

Thanks for everyone’s support..
I had a Sophia Electric 274B Aqua on hand, and installed it into the ZP3 a couple/few days ago.
So far so good.
Sounds really good, could be an improvement over the RCA 5u4g.
It’s been a while since I’ve had the TT running, so outs kinda hard to say for sure.

INNUOS-ZEN mk3(streamer)
HOLO-Spring3(dac)
DECWARE-Zrock2-25th
DENON-DP59L (TT)
DECWARE-ZP3
ARIC AUDIO-Passive pre
DECWARE-ZMA
TEKTON-Double Impact SE
TEKTON-Enzo sub x 2
PI AUDIO-UberBUSS
PIaudio/Hapa/Zenwave/TWL
ZMF ”Auteur”
  IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 03/17/24 at 15:27:23

Been using a 1953 RCA 5u4g for a couple of weeks now. Works great! Also I have a Svetlana 1959 black plate 5u4g. It too ..perfect~ Smiley

IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #14 - 03/20/24 at 05:40:38

Sophia Aqua II 274B in mine. It won a brief shootout with a NOS RCA 5U4G and I've had no complaints since.

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 03/21/24 at 17:38:39

Yeah, looked at those in the past. They sure are pretty!  [smiley=icqlite20.png] By the way, what's a brief shootout on these rectifiers entail?

IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #16 - 03/22/24 at 01:25:50

My shootouts are typically listening to one song way too many times while I swap whatever the new thing is in and out of the chain until I'm sure one is  better than the other one. I don't take measurements or anything like that.

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 03/24/24 at 16:42:37

Right on. Thought about getting one some time back,....but price and 'things'. We're loving the nos RCA one, so we're all good. Runs like a clock and sounds perfectly fine..1953 nos for 42 bucks. I couldn't pass that one up. Take care~ Mike.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #18 - 03/24/24 at 17:19:18

Brimar GZ32, works flawlessly and sounds great. Previously bought a few JAN 5u4-WB (?) that I believe MikeinMontana turned us on to from Nebraska Surplus (?). I've been happy with them all, nothing stood out as way better than the others. Happy Listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 03/25/24 at 17:04:24

'nothing stood out as way better than the others'
Tend to agree due to owning three and installing one after the other and listening. (I know, only three..LOL  inexpensive ones though.) A nos Svetlana black plate 1959, nos rca 1953 (currently installed), and a Decware branded one too. This amp sounds wonderful with any of the ones we own.  We are all good now for back-ups on all tubes.  [smiley=icqlite20.png] We've listened almost every night just shy of two months now and the gauges haven't even budged. We're in business. Smiley   Man, we sure do love this amp!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #20 - 03/25/24 at 21:39:33

I get it about the price. All I can say is. . . the sound is damned worth it to me. I have not heard better, at any price.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21 - 03/26/24 at 15:23:41

I'm not sure what you mean about insurance. Warranty?

Anyway, I understand your position. But having had the original Aqua and now the II version for years in use, and every comparison to others having it come out on top, I know what I am missing for just saving a few dollars, and I don't want to miss it. This clearly is the very best rectifier I've used, and there are those others claim are better. . . and can cost twice as much . . . I'm just stopping here.

Anyway, we're just reporting what we're using in this thread. These are what I am happily using.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22 - 03/26/24 at 17:27:47

Well I don't want to mention or see mention of politics here, and I probably differ in my opinion. Money has been tight for me in some ways all my adult life. I make sacrifices in other vice and entertainment areas for audio. These have been reliable tubes for me.  

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 03/26/24 at 20:47:38

All yours. Work to do

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print