Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/03/24 at 11:30:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FS: Holo Audio MAY DAC KTE (Read 1194 times)
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

FS: Holo Audio MAY DAC KTE
02/24/24 at 17:22:21

Original owner. Delivered July 2021.

Upgraded to Lampizator TRP.

Including the stock “red” fuse and SR Purple 4A fuse.

$4,500
Price includes shipping to 48 states.
PayPal F&F or +3% for regular PP.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Re: FS: Holo Audio MAY DAC KTE
Reply #1 - 02/24/24 at 20:25:05

Two DACs that have been on my "I wanta hear that" list.

I can't imagine a huge difference between the Holo and the Lampizator.  How did you decide which one to sell?

Thanks...(in advance)

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/24/24 at 20:47:34

The Holo MAY KTE is an excellent DAC.

I will copy some of my quick notes from a text message :

Hooked up the MAY DAC. I prefer the TRP. I’m running the Sophia KT88s which are more laidback and softer with a bit more holography compared to the GL KT77s. The MAY sounds like everything is a bit softer and the edges have been smoothed. The bass sounds a smidge bloated on the MAY. Sense of space is so much greater on the TRP. Cymbals seem like they are softened to not offend where the TRP gives a nice crash and bite without going over the line into brightness or harsh

It’s a real relief. At first the MAY sounded much better.

The MAYs bass is stronger and less controlled. Making the MAY sound like it was a bit bloated. With the ability to roll tubes and fine tune the sound of the TRP even more I’m 100% this was a great step up. People say it keeps getting better to 500 hours too!

The MAY is still a solid piece and recommend it 100% The TRP showcased the weak spots of the MAY. I would be happy with the MAY still

The above is from a text I sent. The first 100-150 hours on the TRP were really rough. 200 hours things started to sound good, now at 238 hours Last 10-15 hours getting times when it’s absolutely mind blowing. Then it returned to being really good. 300 hours is what I’ve heard to give the TRP before it really opens up 500 hours is realistic for burn in.

Think of the MAY DAC as a First Watt or Pass Labs amp. The Lampi TRP as a Decware amp. Both really good and you will like one more than the other.

I mentioned the sense of space is greater on the TRP—it is and the Holo MAY does an excellent job in this department.

I would be happy with the Holo MAY. After hearing what the TRP brings, and it’s getting better by the day, it wasn’t a hard decision. I really wanted to keep it and put it in my TV/Living room system. With the double boxes makes awkward and I decided against it. Not having to mess with tubes leaving the unit on 24/7 is a nice perk of the Holo.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/24/24 at 23:18:51

Folks,

This is a great deal on an amazing DAC. I heard it in both my system and GS's system, before he moved to hill country. This DAC simply sounds amazing in a Decware set up. You'll be sorry if you need a high-end DAC and pass this up. I'd be all over this if I wasn't getting a new SOTA Sapphire VII turntable.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/24/24 at 23:45:06

Thanks for the feedback.  I currently running the PSAudio DirectStream MK1 and I'm at a crossroads. There is someone upgrading the PS Audio with new transformers and output chips which according to them sounds as good as a new MKII (it's on the internet so it must be true).  They are selling an upgraded one with a year warranty for approx the same money as you want for the HOLO.  I can send them my current DAC in for and upgrade which is also an option or buy a DAC and then sell my current one.

This would be so much easier if my current sound sucked (which it doesn't)  but I know that it could be better.

Thanks again

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/25/24 at 01:27:17

Thanks Lon.  I've been following the Audiogon thread
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/modding-the-ps-audio-directstream-dac-mk1...

and they have really peaked my interest.  

I believe that it would be really hard to go wrong with any decision I make but  that darn budget keeps me from just jumping all in.  I've been following the HOLO since Steve got one many moons ago and the thought of getting the KTE for the price of a L1 sure is tempting.

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
MrDerrick
Seasoned Member

May The Source Be
With You!

Reply #6 - 02/25/24 at 01:43:35

Dana,
I had the DS before the May.
Why did I switch?
I prefer listening to PCM vs PCM converted to DSD.
Source material that started as DSD is good, 1% of my source material.
Source material that started as PCM is good, 99% of my source material.
I also wanted to utilize HQP to convert to high rate 1.4/1.5 MHz PCM.
If Lampizator ever gets into handling higher rate PCM, I will give them a try.

1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM Qobuz or SSD
HQPE - sonicTransporter i9
HQP Client - i3 Tablet
HQP NAA - Sonore Sig Series Rendu
USB > Holo KTE May > SA1X/47 > ZBIT > ZSTAGE25 > SE84UFO25
Avantgarde Duo Omega & Townshend Super Tweeters
IsoMax > Rives Parc > SUB225s
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 02/25/24 at 10:02:58

Dana wrote on 02/25/24 at 09:08:31:

I really apologize  for going off on a classified add for a truly top of the line component.  In a different life maybe I could have it all???

Yes, I too apologize for piling into a classified thread not really helpful info. I'm deleting my posts on this thread, sorry!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/27/24 at 13:51:23

SOLD.

I also had a PS Audio DSD MK1. I instantly liked the Holo MAY more. The sense of space and 3d I found be better than the MK1.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 02/28/24 at 06:47:53

Somebody got a great deal
Congrats

Tom Waits: