Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/28/24 at 20:45:22 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Torii MK V Voltage Regulator Tubes (Read 794 times)
Sai

Torii MK V Voltage Regulator Tubes
02/18/24 at 22:44:54

Wanted to ask if folks have tried a 75C1 on their Torii MK V? What is to be expected? Currently use a pair of Brimar OA3 tubes, also used the Sylvania OA3 pair Steve sent the amp out with…

Also, what have folks experienced using the OB3, OC3, and OD3??

Zu Soul Supreme V, Torii MKV 25th Anniversary Mods, Rogue Audio RP7, Aurender N100H, Denafrips Ares II, Nottingham Space 294 w. Shelter Harmony MC, AllNic H-1202 Phono
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Re: Torii MK V Voltage Regulator Tubes
Reply #1 - 02/19/24 at 01:25:15

Hey Sai,

I had just received NOS Philips 75C1 regulator tubes from Serbia like two weeks ago.  I’ve been planning to try them out, but I’ve been busy playing playing with the capacitors in my Err’s and Pinnacle speakers. I will try them in my Torii MKIV 25th in the next week or so.  

I promise that once I roll them in, I will report back.  Right now I am running the stock Decware OC3 tubes.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Sai

Reply #2 - 02/19/24 at 03:08:46

Much appreciated Dom! Looking forward to it…

Zu Soul Supreme V, Torii MKV 25th Anniversary Mods, Rogue Audio RP7, Aurender N100H, Denafrips Ares II, Nottingham Space 294 w. Shelter Harmony MC, AllNic H-1202 Phono
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #3 - 02/20/24 at 04:05:11

No problem.  If for some reason I don’t reply back…shoot me a PM to check in.

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Sai

Reply #4 - 02/20/24 at 04:57:09

Will do! Thanks again.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #5 - 03/06/24 at 22:17:04

Hey Sai,

Just threw in my Philips 75C1 VR tubes in my MKIV for the first time.  I didn’t know what to expect, but I have to say I they are pretty good. They sound a bit thick and are bolder than the stock OA3’s. I would say they are a tad slower, but not necessarily bad.  So far I am liking the sound even though it’s a bit different.  

My Torii is hooked up to my Pinnacle bookshelves right now, and not my Err’s.  The Pinnacle’s don’t have the range or the depth that Err’s do, so at some point I’ll have to swap them out to get a better grip on the tubes.  But last night I had the Torii playing for like 3 hours, so I would say I have good feel on the difference between the OA3’s and the 75C1’s.  

The 75C1’s need more time before I can give you a fair comparison, but this is just what I’m hearing now.  I hope this helps.  

Dom

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/06/24 at 23:30:29

Isn't the 75C1 a 7 pin and the MK V takes octal?

MK IV takes both 7 pin and octal VR tubes.
MK V takes a pair of octal VR tubes.

Sai, I've been getting a lot of tubes ready to be sold. If you want to try a few different 0_3 tubes. Mostly "A"s a few B and Cs. Maybe a pair of Ds.

I have a slew of Westinghouse 0A3.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #7 - 03/07/24 at 01:39:57

Nigel,

Yes the 75C1 is a seven pin.  I didn’t know that the MKV takes an octal…good to know.  

Speaking of the Westinghouse…. I had bought from Steve years ago a pair of Westinghouse VR75 that were in limited supply.  Only one set was allowed to each customer, and they were gone within like two days.  I’ve been meaning to throw them in.   How do you like them?

Dom

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 03/07/24 at 16:28:09

The Westinghouse 0A3 were my favorites in the MKIV and MKV. The VR tubes same spec different manufacture are a more subtle change vs. other tubes in my experience.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Sai

Reply #9 - 03/08/24 at 05:08:04

Thanks for the initial impressions Dom!

GroovySauce, I would be interested in a pair of Westinghouse OA3 tubes if you’re parting with any…

on a separate note my Torii is headed back to Steve for TLC. Bad 807 to 6L6 adapter fried something in the amp on the right channel’s front output tube’s circuitry  :(

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 03/08/24 at 14:39:21

Sai, OUCH! Hope they can turn it around quickly for you.  I just read a thread about the same thing that happened to someones Lampizator DAC.

Sai, I'll shoot you a PM

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #11 - 03/10/24 at 01:04:42

Sai….your welcome!  I’ve had the Torii fired up a few more times since my last post, and the sound is for sure a thicker presentation.  Jury is still out, but I think I like it.  Sorry to hear about the issue with the bad tube adapter frying the output circuitry.  I’m sure Steve will go over the whole amp to make sure that nothing else was affected.

Groovy….So the Westinghouse are your favorite OA3’s.  Cool.   I guess it’s about time to throw them in and hear what I have been missing.  I’ll have to report back one day this upcoming week.  Steve had raved about them back when I bought them a few years ago…so that’s not surprising.  

Dom

IP Logged
Sai

Reply #12 - 03/10/24 at 06:13:50

Thanks Dom. Yep, she’s back at Decware as of today. Hoping it’s something small/quick. I have no doubts that Steve will get her singing again…

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 03/10/24 at 14:43:56

Dom, Yep loved the Westinghouse in the the MKV.

In the UFO25th it was a toss up between the Cryotone and Westinghouse.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #14 - 03/10/24 at 22:02:21

I’ll report back after I give the Westinghouse a good listen.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print