Send Topic Print
Grado GS1000’s (Read 569 times)
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Grado GS1000’s
02/10/24 at 04:47:58

Just got a great deal on a used pair of Grado GS1000’s.  I grabbed them on eBay from a seller who was selling off his friend’s audiophile’s gear who had sadly passed away.  I have always been a fan of the Grado company, especially since they are an American company housed right here in Brooklyn, NY….only about 40 minutes from my house.  

The seller had made a mistake with the listing, but once the mistake was realized, it was too late and I accepted his counter offer.  Anyway..I should receive them mid next week.  I’ll report back with impressions once I get them in house and give them a listen.

If anyone has the Grado 1000 series line, I would be interested in your impressions.

For anyone interested in a set of Beyerdynamic headphones, the same eBay seller is offering these up for sale….seems like a good deal.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/176228809062?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&s...

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
GeriTheBiker
Verified Member

Re: Grado GS1000’s
Reply #1 - 02/15/24 at 04:16:16

Hi,

I am a Grado fan also, but not because they are in the US or in my neighborhood, but because they make high quality, beautifully sounding equipment.

I have a GS1000x, and it is a fantastic, piece of art device. I love the idea they used wood for the body, it makes it warmer, and better looking. The mahogany is a wonderful wood, the look is perfect. Mine came with XLR connector and an XLR to TRS converter.

They stating 8Hz - 35kHz, while I cannot say anything about the upper limit Wink, I can hear 10Hz, so I guess it is really able to work in the specified range. But more importantly the sound is just beautiful! It is very engaging, you just want to listen more. It is very naturally sounding, detailed, and it has huge sound-stage. You just see the players in front of you, and you can place them very precisely where they are. As it is fully open back, it does not filter out any surrounding noise. The result is that if the recording contains noises like breathing, closing door, sneezing, you will look around what is going on. That good.

About the open back. Yes, it can be annoying, you cannot use it in a busy airport, but it sounds very good! There is always a debate about the open back approach. I never had a chance to listen a high quality closed back overhead headphones, so I cannot really compare, but I used to have a Grado Gr10e, that can be considered closed back. While the Gr10e a very good in-ear pair, the sound stage just not as good. The Statement makes you listen more music. As they state in a review:

"... headphones that more-or-less insist on being used when alone. But if you’re OK with this, you’ll find the GS1000x Statement will keep you listening long after you should have gone to bed."

I can confirm this... On the other hand the good thing is that the sound is still superb when you listen in a low volume, and then it is not that annoying to others around.

audioadvisor and head-fi.org have good reviews, unfortunately I am new here, cannot post links, you need to look up...

It would be nice to hear what is your experience with yours.

Cheers

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #2 - 02/15/24 at 13:56:25

Geri…thanks for your input and impressions.   I am really looking forward to getting them in house.  The headphones are scheduled to arrive tomorrow as well as the new set of ear cups.  I was going to hold off a bit and buy the 1000x’s, but I was just in the right place at the right time, and couldn’t pass up buying the 1000’s.  

I’ll post my impressions over the weekend at some point, but the reviews I have read have all been very positive.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #3 - 02/21/24 at 02:03:13

So my headphones just arrived and they are beautiful.  After I cleaned the plug with alcohol and hit it with DeOxit, I replaced the ear cups with a new pair.  

After setting up the trim controls on my CSP2+, I fired them up streaming songs through Roon.  It took a bit to find the sweet spot with the gain controls on my ZBIT, ZRock2, and CSP2+, but once I got it dialed in, it really sounded sublime.  I found myself submersed in the music.   There was such a natural tone, and it’s easy to hear how the wood plays a part in the sound signature.  The soundstage was nice and wide, and the instruments were very clear.  

I never listened to open back ear phones before, and quite honestly, I was quite surprised.  Having some background noise from the surrounding environment did not bother me, unless it was really loud.  The headphones were very comfortable and the craftsmanship is top notch.  

I only got a chance to listen for a little while, but I can’t wait until tomorrow’s session.

Dom

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #4 - 04/12/24 at 00:51:35

So my non audiophile buddy came by a few days ago, and decided to try my headphones for the first time.  He was immediately impressed on how light they were for the physical size of the headphones.  After about 10 minutes of playtime, he said….now I know why you got them…they are nothing like I have ever heard. Don’t know ifs the tube influence from the CSP or the fact that he mainly listens to Bluetooth headsets.  

I try to do at least one listening session a week with the headphones… I just love the soundstage.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print