Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 14:21:34 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My adventures with remote controls (Read 1149 times)
Sean
Seasoned Member

My adventures with remote controls
02/02/24 at 00:35:18

When I sit down to listen, I want to sit and not get up 10 times to adjust the volume. I've posted pics of the volume stick I use for the UFO and it works great but wireless is the future, someday. I've added a CSP2+ to the mix and I find myself adjusting the volume frequently. It's hard to really dial in differences in recordings while not in the listening chair. Soul crushing 1st world issues! This afternoon I had some time to add a "remote" for the CSP. Hopefully this holds out until I get a wireless solution in place.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Re: My adventures with remote controls
Reply #1 - 02/02/24 at 01:14:57

This is a really interesting discussion to me. I stream primarily, and one of the primary requirements linking me to my streamer is being able to control the music from my phone. However, my volume rarely changes position. The volume control is essentially an unused feature for me.

Those are some pretty cool mods though, Sean. Definitely McGuivering it. Smiley

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/02/24 at 12:49:29

Sean, Love the remote. Get some brass hardware and lean into the steampunk decor.  ;D

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/03/24 at 02:28:09

Love it! And agreed with GS on leaning in to the steampunk vibe!

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/14/24 at 01:31:06

Well, no steam punk...yet. Been using this setup nightly and love it, I can fine tune to my OCD's content all the while being lazy and not moving from my listening spot. Only change I made was for a slightly heavier string, the white one was fraying from the knurled knob on the CSP.

Today the remote units arrived. While unpacking them it hit me, what if the remote codes or frequencies are the same?!?!? Yep, they're the same. I hooked up one unit and either of the remotes can control the volume. There's nothing on the board or inside the remote to switch the frequency like garage door openers. Oh well, I'll at least proceed with making one.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #5 - 02/14/24 at 13:18:16

I'm waiting for the picture of the machine you build to change records for you...

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/14/24 at 15:39:00

I may want one of those record changers too! That flipping records over one handed is a B! I drop a lot of stuff these days..and I swear a lot more too... Grin . hehe,,,,take care ~ Mike

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 02/14/24 at 21:32:20

Based on my own personal childhood I thought having two kids would solve that one, my sister and I were always gophers. Sadly neither of MY kids like respecting their elders or have any interest in fetching records or flipping them! Also, my Aunts' had a Magnavox console when I was a kid. I might not have been into whatever Lithuanian records were playing but when the side came to an end I had to run to the console to watch the record change. I can't even imagine subjecting any of my records to that horror. I'll admit defeat on the record changer, best to know your limits right?

IP Logged
plonkarchivist
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 02/23/24 at 03:42:06

I'm eagerly anticipating the photograph of the machine you constructed to revolutionize record-changing for you

WWW   IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 02/23/24 at 08:10:48

Quote:
 might not have been into whatever Lithuanian records were playing but when the side came to an end I had to run to the console to watch the record change.

Back in a day the jukeboxes had a view of the 45's being picked and placed on the platter. This use to fastinate me. Every bar or restaurant we would go to that had a jukebox, I would go and see how it worked the records.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 02/23/24 at 18:32:23

About 10 years ago I got a bug about jukeboxes. I found one for sale on craigslist and took three friends to help. Seller didn't tell us the only way to get it out of the house was THROUGH A WINDOW. Looking back, that was the easiest part. Once home it took weeks if not months to get it running. The original colored front glass was replaced before I got it with clear glass. I loved the fact I could see inside to watch records change. It's cool novelty but takes up a lot of space and it's like a vintage tractor, you wrench on it as much as you use it. It sounds horrendous and it has destroyed a few 45's over the years, not scratched records but literally exposed them when it gets out of whack.

My friend that passed a couple years ago went even more nuts than me. He bought 3-4 Wurlitzers older than mine and built one kick ass working machine.

I've made no progress with the remotes yet. My wife played a great joke on me though. She twisted the string on the CSP so it ran backwards. Good one!

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 02/23/24 at 19:50:26

Loved the backstory on the jukebox! And yes, LOL—that prank was a good one!

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 02/23/24 at 21:20:08

One more thing about the jukeboxes. The “community” that was out there was atrocious. The older guys who knew stuff kept it close and didn’t share. “Buy my manual if you want it done right”. It was a real steep curve learning about things, lots of failures and frustration. It really makes this forum a great place from top to bottom.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 02/24/24 at 13:15:45

Sean,
Very cool jukebox! Don't have the room for one. Would love to check yours out. We need to have an audio rendezvous!

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print