04/27/24 at 11:16:15 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Technics 1210G (Read 524 times)
Sean
Seasoned Member

Technics 1210G
01/26/24 at 22:43:12

It's time to upgrade my current daily driven turntable, a Mofi Studiodeck. The 1210G is what I've decided to go with. Previous to the Mofi I've had a handful of direct drive tables and I prefer them. The Mofi is an ok table and if it were easier to swap carts I could live with it a bit longer. It's such a PIA to swap carts and get aligned that I just don't swap carts at all. The other thing is, it just lacks soul - it's just a slab of MDF with a platter on top. Personally I don't care for the Music Hall, Rega, etc 'design', the 1200 always had a 'engineering sexiness' to me. 100% personal preference, not knocking those tables I just find them to be vanilla and I like chocolate!

Anyhow, not too concerned with the sound of the 1210, but I am curious if anyone has experience with one and their thoughts on the quality of the deck. Before 2022, the GR's were assembled in Malaysia and the G's in Japan. Now, ALL 1200 models come from Malaysia. It ain't cheap, but this could the endpoint for a turntable for me. Well at least for a good while! My Mofi now has a bum cue lever that lets the arm drop too fast. Not adjustable or refillable. When I first got the table, I was adjusting the VTA and the arm "crashed" which "broke a part" under the deck. It spent 6 months at Mofi (early covid was fun, remember?). All in all, the quality has been maybe a 2.5 or 3 out 5 for me, I'm hoping the 1210 is built better.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Re: Technics 1210G
Reply #1 - 01/27/24 at 16:50:20

Sean - I can completely understand your frustration with the MoFi deck. The last DD table we had was a Denon DP-47 way back. It was fine until something in all the servo controlled mechanics died and it took my tech about 6 months to determine what it was and get the parts from Japan. I really enjoyed it and it sounded good (as I remember). I ended up with a Kyoceria PL-901 and a SEAC 407 arm that was purchased from a rep company that was more interested in selling cd players. My win, the table and arm cost me less than 500.00. Massive machine and a great tonearm.
Used that for years and then a SOTA Star Sapphire vacuum table with FR-64S arm came my way. Alway loved SOTA tables since my friend had one.
I have been really interested in DD tables again after watching some video's of the OMA turntables and Jonathan's arguments about the benefits of DD over belt. I'll never have the cashish to get an OMA table, but its a fun watch.
When does the Technics land? What carts are you using and I guess you have some extra headshells? Keep us posted and happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/28/24 at 02:30:02

I have the table in my cart, but have one tiny hurdle to get over before I pull the trigger. Lawyers, guns and money...seriously. Have a deal in place for my dad's guns, wasn't updated by the lawyer until last minute and so there's no money to cover it, yet. Should get cleared up soon.

I plan to get started with my current cart, AT OC9III. I have a second OC9 that I'll likely send back to AT on the trade in program for a ART9XI. I enjoy the AT MC's much more than their MM's that get shrill IMO. I've also got a Shure 95 w/Jico stylus, a V15 w/ Jico stylus. A few others, but nothing note worthy. Again, being able to swap out a cart quickly based on mood is a going to be a nice luxury.

I have a Technics 1300MKII on the storage rack with extra headshells, something gone wonky with the pitch control. It'll be fine for a day, then it goes to happy hour, gets drunk and starts slurring the music.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/28/24 at 13:07:12

Wow, Sean 5 gs for a direct drive! I understand you made a decision and respect that but on the other hand there are many quailty vintage DDs out there to be had for far less.

Your going to love the ease of cartridge change. Headshells are cheap. Once set up with the turntable you will be able to switch out cartridges as fast as changing vinyl. And possibly, with initial finer adjustments, switch headshells with your cartridges between turntables.

We should get together again.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/28/24 at 20:03:38

Yeah, $5k is likely more than I sitting on my entire rack at the moment. I paid $650 for the Mofi a few years back and thought I was living high on the hog. I think back over the years where I have scrounged this and that together and had fun doing it. There was a $50 Hitachi DD that performed great, then a $100 Dual 721 that I rebuilt from the ground up, that was fun. The 1300MKII was awesome for 2-3 yrs before it got wonky. I enjoy the vintage tables, but at the end of the day when I sit down I want to listen and not putz with all the little endearing defects that come along with vintage stuff. I look at it like this, the winter beater cars are fun...until you need to drive across country. I'd rather have something new and trust worthy. We've had a few life altering events over the past couple months that I shouldn't share on the 'net. Let's definitely get together sometime soon, I'd love to check out the Chariot and chew the fat for a bit.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 01/29/24 at 12:51:08

I must have been lucky so far with the JVC DD. Served me for the last 24 years with very little down time. Just did a cap upgrade. Strobe is out and traced to the chip faltering. No need to fool with that chip because it still plays solid as a rock.

Text me with your favorite brew and day you like to come over.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/01/24 at 18:48:21

The 1210G landed Friday. $4140 to the door from Music Direct. Every now and then they send out 15% off coupons, unfortunately it’s on in stock items and the G went on backorder and the coupon expired. Gave them a call and they gave me 10% off which cut the taxes out and a couple more bucks off. By far the priciest piece of gear I’ve ever bought. Being Easter weekend and also having two birthday parties to attend I have had much time to listen. Did a quick setup Friday, then a more thorough job Saturday. So far, it’s been excellent. I’d been using my old 1400mkII which sounds better than the Mofi, I believe my cart is more compliant with the Technics arms. At first I thought the 1210 sounded thin and bright. By the 3rd side that was mostly gone and it keeps getting better. Fuller sound, insanely better detail and space between instruments. It just sounds more musical to me than the other tables I have.

One negative though. The strobe light cannot be turned off. No problem during the day, but in a dark room that light is intense. Easy, dirty solution is putting a cap over it, I found a Brakleen cap fits nicely. Crappy to resort to such a cheap solution for a high price piece, but it works.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print