04/29/24 at 07:15:10 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HDTvII (Read 2152 times)
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

HDTvII
01/20/24 at 04:51:31

Today was a special day. After listening to a pair of 6" Lii Audio speakers a while back I was really impressed. I feel very fortunate to have had a sneak peek session with these new fresh built amazing speakers. I took Sarah to meet with the pictured Decware HDTvII's and their 8” drivers and it was probably the best I have heard that room sound. That room belongs to my friend, and speaker builder Jon Anderson. I cannot wait to hear them in my main room next week. I love walnut btw.

Sarah+HDTv2=WOW!

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
EverSolo Streamer/DAC combo
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
TEAC and Otari tape machines
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Re: HDTvII
Reply #1 - 01/20/24 at 06:45:13

Looking forward to your impressions in your room with the HDTs.
I listened to those a couple of times at Steve's place. Very impressionable with good bass and highly detailed pinpoint accuracy. Excellent imaging! A bit odd looking and probably the one thing that holds me back from a build from plans purchased.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/20/24 at 14:49:52

I realized photos definitely did not do these justice once I saw the final build. They are also heavier than I expected. I like the very solid and stable bases Jon built for these, along with the solid walnut corner pieces, and top plate. I am fairly predictable with my love of walnut also. These are absolutely beautiful.

Thank you also Steve for the design, and the communication with Jon during the building process. I am looking forward to spending a lot of time with these.

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #3 - 01/20/24 at 15:38:26

Charles,

The speakers look fabulous. Your photography skills are outstanding, so it is hard to imagine how much better they would look in person.  

I noticed the smaller speakers on top of the prominent speakers in this and other pictures of your room. Are those Aperion MKII Super Tweeters? I looked at those at once and could not decide to buy. Unsure what they would add to the experience.

If they are the Aperion's or some other speaker, can you say something about them and what they add to your listening experience?

Thanks,
Tony

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/20/24 at 15:44:39

The basic iPhone photos are good, but they really are stunning in person. The tweeters are indeed the Aperion tweeters. I bought a pair long ago when they first came out (I feel a great purchase btw) and I use them on many speakers, Jon had them on top during my visit yesterday. I'll try them when they are home in my room, and see.

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 01/21/24 at 12:10:48

Charles, I surely did not mean to bash your build. Yours is a fine looking example. The design portrayed the oddity. Never the less, it is a great speaker and full of heavy MDF.

My ZP3 has a walnut base. I like it and going to change the other Decware component bases to walnut.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 01/21/24 at 20:38:01

Bashing never crossed my mind. Smiley Tomorrow they will be in my room. Can't wait.

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 01/22/24 at 18:52:10

Charles, curious - what range are the Super Tweeters running?

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 01/24/24 at 16:52:14

I have only had about 6 hours with these as of this morning. I am not using the supertweeters as of now. I am guessing he had the tweeters wide open to keep up though.

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 01/25/24 at 03:05:40

About 12 hours now. After finally getting them where they are to stay for now, toeing in them more than I originally had them, a few clicks here and there these things are ..... 

My goodness.......   Shocked

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 01/25/24 at 13:54:01

Give those silvers time to blossom! Heard the HDTs at Decfest 2022. Was not impressed with a SE84UFO25 that just got back from a deep freeze and the silvers were just installed. So all was fresh.
Nine months later listen to the same setup at Steve's head to head with the Headwreckers. The Headwreckers had better bass but the HTDs just blew me away with image and pin point accuracy with very good bass.

Hang in there.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 01/25/24 at 13:58:53

Charles your HDTs seem to be a bit stout as compared to the normal tall slender square footprint. Is this an optical illusion or was the MDF clad with walnut planks?

IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 01/25/24 at 17:28:04

These were built to exact specs with conversations between Jon and Steve when there were any questions. The only difference being the "wider than the cabinet" solid bottom plinth. That might be making them look a little chubby maybe? I have the opportunity ( I just found out) to use the underneath threads that Jon installed so I can play with any spikes or footers if desired.

Here's a quick snap of the bottom.

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 01/26/24 at 12:43:15

That enlarged plinth along with the shooting angle might contribute to the handsome appearance. I really like what your cabinet maker did! Needless to say, I am searching for some walnut and may just build the HDT2 shorty.
From conversations with Steve, the only difference from 1 to 2 is the driver. The Lii 8" Silver requires a different cutout which required a new set of drawings. The HDT2 uses the same updated tuning that the HDT1 uses. The HD1 can be easily transformed to a version 2.

Looking forward to your thoughts as time passes.

IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 01/26/24 at 19:48:29

I have put my eggs in this basket.... I want to give the Sarah and HDTv2's time together. The amp has less than 250 hours and the drivers and brand new with maybe 30 hours on them as of this post. I am looking forward to the results.

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 02/03/24 at 08:20:05

Well.... after a few configurations (mainly toe-in and out adjustments) I had them toed in to the point they were almost crossed in front of my face. It was amazing, but I felt I lost a bit of the ambiance so I brought them back out a bit, and I must say they have stayed in this position for the last several days. The cones are pointing just outside my ears if one can picture this. The sound is full and ambient, with imaging and staging being ridiculous.

Charlie

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 02/04/24 at 07:40:02

Congratulations on your new speakers Charlie—they look perfect in your room and beautifully built.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 02/05/24 at 16:19:45

My goodness things are getting good!

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 02/08/24 at 02:53:26

Today has been surreal.. I'm jittery still. It was just an incredible christening with Jon. We listened all day to these beautiful speakers
that he built. We discussed what we were hearing and it was just "another world experience for me. He felt the same. We do not bullshit anyone and certainly not each other. We have been at times brutally honest with each other and that's why it so fun we we listen.

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19 - 02/08/24 at 08:46:40

Very glad you are having an amazing journey!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 02/08/24 at 10:33:37

Quote:
"another world experience for me. 

It is just amazing on what a good audio system can do with our psychic. I've experienced above many times. Those experiences keeps us looking for more material that perpetuates it. Don't matter the genre - It is the uplifting of spirit that it creates when all the players conven within our senses.

Hope you are on the ZP3 path Charlie.

IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 03/29/24 at 04:14:18

As of late all I can do is sit down and listen, and listen. My goodness.... it's been wonderful Cool

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 03/29/24 at 17:57:42

Charles, how would you describe the sound signature?
Detailed? Warm? Smooth? Fast?

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs