Decware Audio Forums
05/03/24 at 12:27:47 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
F/S SE84 clone (Read 1799 times)
bobc

F/S SE84 clone
01/15/24 at 16:34:44

Hi, I thought I'd share this ad here in case there was interest. Feel free to contact me for more pics and information. I built this amp for my father, who no longer needs it. Feel free to contact me for more details.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/650057595-declare-se84-clone/

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: F/S SE84 clone
Reply #1 - 01/15/24 at 16:51:36

Beautiful build! I'm sure it will sell soon.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/15/24 at 21:30:14

Yeas I have looked at that ad more than a couple of times. Nice!

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
EverSolo Streamer/DAC combo
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
TEAC and Otari tape machines
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 01/15/24 at 21:40:36

If I hadn't overextended myself in '23 . . . way overextended myself. . . . .

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/15/24 at 22:23:02

Quote:
If I hadn't overextended myself in '23 . . . way overextended myself. . . . .

Uh huh,  :(

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
EverSolo Streamer/DAC combo
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
TEAC and Otari tape machines
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
Carlsbad
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 01/21/24 at 22:53:42

I read the ad.  I am currently using using the mighty SE84UFO in my primary system.  The listing has an interesting twist in it:

"Includes a Triode/UL switch next to each output tube. In UL mode, the output power is doubled, most prefer the sound in Triode mode."

At first I thought he was talking about the speaker load selector switch beside each pair of binding posts but it has another switch beside each output tube.

Jerry

Decware SE84UFO w/20th mods
Grimm MU1 Streamer
Lampizator Golden Gate 3 DAC
Tekton Encore Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 01/22/24 at 00:09:10

Right. Plus he installed different caps and volume control etc. Should have an interesting sound.

I'm interested. I think I am going to sell my Taboo Mk IV soon and can afford this--should work in my audio-visual system with my CSP3 with the mods. I sent an email.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #7 - 01/22/24 at 01:09:45

Quote:
"Includes a Triode/UL switch next to each output tube. In UL mode, the output power is doubled, most prefer the sound in Triode mode."

So the standard Zen circuit uses a pentode tube as a triode. In ultralinear mode you use a fraction of the pentode to increase the output power, but also keep some of the triode characteristics to improve the sound quality. At least that's the theory.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 01/22/24 at 02:26:31

Well this one is coming off the market, I made a purchase. Will know soon what this sounds like.

IP Logged
Carlsbad
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 01/24/24 at 23:32:17

Congratulations.   Post your results.  If it sounds as good (in triode mode) as the SE85UFO you'll be very happy.

Jerry

Decware SE84UFO w/20th mods
Grimm MU1 Streamer
Lampizator Golden Gate 3 DAC
Tekton Encore Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 01/24/24 at 23:55:39

I received it today, but haven't had the opportunity to unbox it. Perhaps tomorrow.

I'm hoping it will have enough oomph to replace a DALAUDIO amp in my living-room system. I'm quite acquainted with the UFO sound and am interested to hear how these differing caps like the AudioCap and Sprague alter the sound. Also it's not really a "UFO" as it has different output transformers--bigger, beefier, and not Steve designed.

IP Logged
bobc

Reply #11 - 01/25/24 at 22:40:35

I hope it works out for you.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 01/25/24 at 23:12:20

I got to listen to it for about two hours today.

It sounds a lot like what the Model C that I had modded by Eddie Vaughan would sound like if it had Anniversary mods--the transformers have that less revealing sound that pre-UFO transformers did, perhaps a bit denser as these are black iron transformers about a third the size each of the large main Hammond transformer. Not a bad thing! There are not a lot of hours on this amp so it will slowly morph over time. . . I do think that there will be enough "oomph" for this large room, and though at the moment I prefer the DALAUDIO amp I think that will change when this amp seasons in and I have tailored it more for the system.

It sure is a beautiful build by someone who has built a number of amps and knows what to do.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 01/26/24 at 15:30:23

I managed to get five hours on this amp this morning, and I've played around with settings and rolled a few tubes and. . . this is quite a nice amp, especially for the money.

It sounds more like an SE84UFO now that a bit of fog has lifted from it and I have it tailored to the room and source. The tonal balance is quite nice with the higher resolution material and it has surpassed the DALAUDIO in terms of imaging and soundstage--not a lot but a bit more width and depth. This in the "Triode" mode. Ultra-linear sounds quite good as well, my wife prefers it as she likes a stronger sound (her hearing is a bit more challenged than mine). So when she wants to listen to the stereo and not just to the TV (her preferred source, go figure, I admit that I have the TV tuned pretty well) all I have to do is switch to Ultralinear and the higher bias on the input tube.

Quite happy. I would not hesitate to consider purchasing an amp built by this seller.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #14 - 01/26/24 at 22:16:13

Wow, another couple hours and a fuse change (from stock plain jane to SR Purple) and this amp is not only giving me plenty of power for the speakers and room, it is sounding very very good.

I'm glad I went for it!

IP Logged
bobc

Reply #15 - 01/27/24 at 00:21:23

So glad you enjoy it! It’s all about the circuit…. Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16 - 01/27/24 at 18:25:04

Indeed!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print