Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

ZROCK3 SOON
12/05/23 at 02:07:03

In correspondence with Steve about yet another ZROCK2 for my system(s) he confirmed that a new ZROCK is on the horizon (ZROCK3) (as he had mentioned listening to in another thread) and he had this to say about it:

There is a ZROCK3 in development.  It features an adjustable output level control on the back, deletes the bypass switch that was on the front and puts the EQ switch in its place and there is a redesigned power supply with a toroidal transformer.  I am waiting on the first batch of 100 custom made transformers to be finished and then it will go into production.   Also, there will be no upgrades or modifications available to made a ZROCK2 into a ZROCK3.

Steve allowed me to post the above. I think this has the potential to be another Decware hit. . .seems this might be perfect for use with a ZP3 for example.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
ChJKy (Chris)
Verified Member

Re: ZROCK3 SOON
Reply #1 - 12/07/23 at 11:25:55

The ZR2 in my system with the MK5 made a world of difference. I actually had to shut off my dual SVS2000s because they were no longer needed for me to hear what I wanted/expected to hear from my 2 channel set up.

I can see myself wanting to hear a ZR3 at some point since it's become very obvious that Steve designs little masterpieces for all of us.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 12/07/23 at 11:27:49

Well said! ;0

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/07/23 at 15:48:50

Thanks for sharing, Lon. I look forward to ordering one and experiencing it in a couple years.

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 12/07/23 at 18:20:23

Me too. (Though Sarah told me that the ZROCK3 would be on the "accelerated list" and not take nearly as long as the amplifiers and pre-amplifiers).

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/07/23 at 19:35:42

Thanks for sharing this, Lon.  

As a less experienced Decware user, I am trying to better understand the modification.  In part, this reflects that it seems like using a ZROCK partly relates to the concept of a “gain structure,” which I am still working on getting my head around – so sorry in advance if my questions (and comments) may be “dumb” (or at least poorly-informed!).

One of the characteristics of the ZROCK2 is that, once the knob is turned passed about 12:00 o’clock, the bass is boosted, and there is additional gain – so the knob on the ZROCK2 functions as both a tone control and a gain control.  Does the new adjustable output level control allow a user to get the bass boost, while at the same time having more control on the gain provided by the ZROCK3?  Put in a different way, does the new control help to establish a “gain structure” using only the amplifier and the ZROCK3?  That seems like a good addition to the ZROCK2.

The other observation I have is that it might be nice to have the new control on the front of the ZROCK3, rather than the back, as it would be easier to adjust if you can actually see the knob.  IF that makes any sense, then perhaps the EQ switch could stay on the back (I think it is easier to deal with a switch on the back, rather than a variable control).  But I am sure there are other issues and trade-offs that I am not thinking about.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 12/07/23 at 20:01:33

TD, I'll share what I think Steve is saying about the new ZROCK3 with the caveat that there's only what Steve has said so far to induce from.

I agree it would be great if both levels were on the front but I also think that would mean a totally different chassis, and I think Steve is trying to introduce the new model in the same chassis. Also I think that the gain will likely be less "tweaked" with than the EQ for most users, so likely set then not messed with for long spells, so I can see why that adjustment knob may be placed in the rear.

And yes, this will mean that one can adjust the EQ independent of the gain which will make this an even more flexible tailoring of the whole system sound. And yes, I feel this does mean that "gain riding" can be even more accurately/definitively defined.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 12/07/23 at 20:35:09

Thank you for the thoughtful answer, Lon.  I had not thought about the chassis issue, which makes sense.  And your insight into how often controls might be used.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 12/10/23 at 15:08:55

Here is what Steve has said in the past about the ZROCK3:

On 7/20/23 in the Folded Horn thread:

"I have been developing a ZROCK3 because I have been refining and improving the ZROCK for the past several months.  Now was a good time to test it.  The above results that I blamed on the cables I also blamed on the the new ZROCK3 that had no burn-in time on it.  

After a couple days of using it and going back and forth, I decided to take advantage of one of the bigger new features of the ZROCK3 which is a variable output level.  I wanted to match the gain exactly with the ZBIT so I could A/B things a little more seriously.  After adjusting it down to match other input everything completely changed for the better.  I was actually stunned.  The layering and depth, and focus and everything I love about a ZROCK was there but it sounds as transparent or more so.  It was such a game changer for the sound stage.  It is set to about 10:00 A.M. so the EQ hasn't kicked in yet.  I have never been able to listen to a ZROCK at this position before, or perhaps I could have, but never wanted to.

By being adjusted into nearly perfectly flat response and at unity gain relative to the other input from the ZBIT which itself was set to unity gain at 2 volts, the layers have been just coming into focus and getting deeper and deeper as we go.

Now, I am hearing the sound focus, timbre, layers, depth and transparency are all better than before when not using the ZROCK.  So this completely vaporized my observation/suspicions that the cables were a big reason why I initially didn't like the ZROCK in the path."

On 8/2/23 in the Folded Horn thread:

"Yes, there is going to be a ZROCK3.  It will be a ZROCK2 with a variable output control.  

The ZROCK2 was designed to go between the source and preamp.  In many cases with Decware, there is no preamp which is made possible by the input gain control on the amplifiers.

When you use a ZROCK and set it past 12:00 or so, you begin to create gain.  In most cases this is 3 to 6 dB of gain.  This is not a problem with Decware gear but can be a problem with non-Decware gear.  For example, a large solid state or tube amplifier without an input level control... expecting to see less than 1 volt of signal because it comes to full power with 1 volt, is not going to be noise free if you put 4 or 5 volts on the input.

Many people do just this, because they want to ZROCK all of their sources, not just one like the unit was designed for.  That means they put it between their preamp and power amp and that often makes noise or hum that can be audible.

If any of these amplifiers had an input gain control, placing the ZROCK between a preamp and amp would work without problems because you would simply turn the gain control down on the amp the same amount that the ZROCK turned the gain up.

By putting a variable output level feature into the ZROCK3 it is the same thing as putting an input level control on amplifiers that don't have one.  The product will be available this fall.  Don't know the price yet, it's going to be a lot harder to build so labor will shoot the price up.  We may be able to upgrade the ZROCK2 but again, too soon to price it until we find out if it's even possible without rebuilding the whole thing to get the parts in the right places."

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 12/10/23 at 21:07:05

Thanks for the quotes, Lon!  I did not follow the folded horn thread, and never saw these.  Lots of good info there to mull over.

Thanks again.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 01/22/24 at 18:32:06

I'd really like to see a ZRock with 2 inputs.  Is that available as a mod?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 01/22/24 at 20:46:09

I would have loved to see that in the past and queried Steve. . . he told me not possible.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 01/23/24 at 04:54:35

Perhaps one day there can be a ZRock Master Edition in a CSP3 like case.  

- 2 inputs, 2 outputs
- 4 preset EQ filters
- Option for 5 band graphic EQ for manual operation
- VU Meters, just cuz

And a button that when pushed will announce your up to the moment waitlist position for current orders:

"You are currently #4224" Wink

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #13 - 01/23/24 at 06:56:50

And a button that when pushed will announce your up to the moment waitlist position for current orders:

"You are currently #4224"

I liked that, good idea and good sense of humor  

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
RonP
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 01/24/24 at 15:50:27

I would like a fully balanced version. Or at least with an integrated ZBIT on the incoming end.

Nottingham Ace Spacedeck TT w/Heavy Kit + AudioMods S6 + SoundSmith Paua mk II • Modwright PH9.0XT • Cambridge CXNv2 (ModWright) & CXC • Modwright LS99 • Decware TORII MK5 • PI Audio UberBUSS • TriodeWireLabs Power Cables • Clayton Shaw Caladans (Ordered)
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 01/24/24 at 15:52:36

That would be cool. "Not bloody likely" though.

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 02/04/24 at 16:21:11

Ordered a ZR3 today off the updated product page. Excited to say the least!

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17 - 02/04/24 at 16:32:59

Thanks for the headsup. Me too.

IP Logged
1stwattlife

Reply #18 - 02/21/24 at 17:09:18

The Zrock3 is a fantastic device that builds on the loved features of the Zrock2 and refines the things that detract from the Zrock2 to some people. You guys are gonna love it!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19 - 02/21/24 at 17:12:13

Thanks for that validation. I'll try to be patient. Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print