Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/27/24 at 18:13:00 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chord Hugo TT2 & M Scaler (Read 347 times)
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Chord Hugo TT2 & M Scaler
10/14/23 at 03:51:30

So, I received my Hugo TT2 last week and no sound room yet, what to do???

I decided to set up a temporary headphone ensemble which included the following:
Puritan PSM156, OPP BDP103D, Chord M Scaler, Hugo TT2, Beyerdynamic T1.2.  It was good on Sunday and tonight it was nothing short of spectacular.

Before making the decision to chose Chord DACS I read reviews and watched you tube reviews.  Started with the Qutest/Plixer combo, added the dual Storm Wave BNC cables and that was really good.  Then came "do I go for the TT2 or DAVE??? DAVE or TT2???  In the end I decided to go with the TT2 because of its versatility and with the M Scaler it is said to be very much like a DAVE without the M Scaler (and there's more components to buy, and a limited budget).  So it should be pretty good, right?  Well, all the reviews, you tube videos and first steps did not at all prepare me for what I heard and experienced this evening.

I could get into the bass that the TT2 does, the tone and texture and while that was all there it wouldn't begin to get to what this thing does so remarkably well.  It does timing like nothing I've heard yet.  It takes layering and gives palpable dimension to it.  It gives leading edge, body and final decay to EACH instrument on the stage never blurring one over another even the bass.  This is not about it being analytical, it's about hearing the live event as best as can be rendered in a space/room, in this case the space was the headphones and my entire body.

I decided to pull out an old CD... Yanni Live At The Acropolis.  I've always felt that this cd was just OK.  Tonight it was... spectacular.  On "The Rain Must Fall" Ric Fierabracci lays down a bass line.  Before it was, well just... OK.  Tonight I could hardly believe how good the recording of Ric is.  The timing of each pluck and the resulting tone, texture, density and decay in rapid succession, I never heard before.  I didn't have to analyze, all I had to do was listen.  The accompanying drums were in their own space , their own dimension.  Both clearly audible, never blending or overlapping, both tonally and texturally distinct.  The timpani on another cut had impact AND tone, I could hear the head radiating.

The downside... you will not hear this if you do not spend the $$$ on cables and other accessories.  It will only be as good as the weakest link.  If that is not in the budget stick with the Qutest or another DAC of your choice.  

However, I do believe that the UFO25 is easily up to the task.  Next acquisition... two UFO25's.  Apparently it's going to take three very long years to get these.  Good thing that I'm in no hurry, haven't even got a sound room yet.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print