Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/27/24 at 10:38:54 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New member, seeks info on Sarah power and Altec A7 (Read 1154 times)
Rensselaer
Verified Member

New member, seeks info on Sarah power and Altec A7
10/01/23 at 13:46:52

I am considering the Sarah, to drive my Altec A7's. I read that the Sarah puts out anywhere from 4 watts to 7 watts depending upon which voltage regulator valve (OA2-OC2 respectively) one chooses. I am wondering if anyone here is running Altec A7 VOT speakers with their Sarah, and if they could recommend which valve voltage regulation (OA2 or OB2 or OC2) would suit the speakers best (I prefer more lushness in my sound, so lower power preferred if possible).

The horn-loading adds some sensitivity to the Altec 416-8B low Frequency Loudspeakers (itself rated at 98db/watt) to perhaps 101 or 102db/watt, but with my cabinet reinforcements and wool felt lining I am not sure if some lost, also same because of the passive crossovers.

The treble is handled by a Great Plains Audio remake of an earlier Alnico compression driver and is around 105db/watt so not as much a problem.

Anyone out there with the experience?

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: New member, seeks info on Sarah power and Altec A7
Reply #1 - 10/02/23 at 15:28:54

In general the higher the voltage drop the more "romantic" the sound and lower the power output. So OC2 might be a better choice. But the tubes are relatively cheap and IMO you ought to try all the types to determine what works best for you. There are also differences between different makers tubes of the same type. Note also that the input tubes and esp. the 300B tube itself is also going to have a huge influence on the sound.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 10/02/23 at 17:34:34

Although I have no experience with those speakers I agree with James' suggestions entirely. I am running three 75C1 (an 0C2 equivalent) in my SEWE300B currently, and I'm loving the sound. I recommend trying the 75C1 type--it has a touch of dark richness to it and a unique texture compared to the other 0C2 types I have tried.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rensselaer
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 10/06/23 at 11:55:19

Are all three voltage regulating tubes included with the valve set so that the buyer can test with each to see which provides the most enjoyment ? Same the three rectifier tubes (I like the idea of using a slow start rectifier tube if it doesn’t degrade the sound)?

I have already sourced a rare high-spec military grade 7316 to take care of the 12AU7 job and a pair of NOS 1960’s 7308 French Mazda gold pins to take care of the 6922 role (I know the wait is around two years so got them while I still was able).

I need to order my Sarah soon, but need to know if I need to order three sets of voltage regulator valves and rectifier tubes in addition to the valve set that can be ordered up front?

Thanks,

IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/06/23 at 12:20:21

You can purchase the Sarah with no tubes, or with Steve's favorite tube complement and budget 300B tubes, or with Steve's favorite tube complement and Western Electric 300Bs.

"Steve's favorite tube complement" includes three 75C1 Voltage Regulators (0C2 equivalents), and a 5U4G Rectifier. Any tubes you are curious to use other than these are an additional expense.

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #5 - 10/06/23 at 15:43:12

Quote:
Posted by: Rensselaer      Posted on: Today at 03:55:19

...I have already sourced a rare high-spec military grade 7316 to take care of the 12AU7 job and a pair of NOS 1960’s 7308 French Mazda gold pins to take care of the 6922 role (I know the wait is around two years so got them while I still was able)...I need to order my Sarah soon, but need to know if I need to order three sets of voltage regulator valves and rectifier tubes in addition to the valve set that can be ordered up front?

FYI I think if you were to order soon the wait is more like four years than two. Decware is currently building amps ordered about two years ago, but the wait list is longer now than it was when the amps being built today were order.

So, re: valves. You seem like you have good taste . Today the voltage regulator tubes are relatively cheap and relatively common but no one is making any more of them so if you are #Tubecurious I would encourage you buy a selection now. It is hard to predict what the valve market will look like four years out, but I think it is highly unlikely that quality VR valves will be less expensive or more available then they are now.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 10/13/23 at 00:05:21

I’m in agreement with the above, but I might add, that Decware amps tend to be pretty transparent and therefore revealing of each tube in pretty big ways. So getting nice tubes to begin with is a nice idea, but like Lon and James said, you really won’t know about the different VR‘s until you try them. And the same with the other tubes, most good tubes will sound really good, but revealing amps have a signature from the design and parts used as well, not to mention some great tubes sounding good in some rooms and not others. So finally for the deep beauty, the most optimal tubes will come down to system and room and tastes. Makes it is easy to end up with a lot of tubes as tools to finesse subtle or fairly substantial changes, and it is easier to make choices for where we want to go with the point of reference from the original tubes.

Here, I like to hang with favorite tube combinations arrived at from a lot of playing around over time, with minor tube tuning for refinement. Then I might change up the tubes in a more substantial way, a stronger variation on sound signatures that I love… like start with different power tubes that I also love but that have a different feel, and then tune to a more ultimate sound within that baseline. It always gives me a new window into the music, while learning a lot from the experimentation.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print