05/03/24 at 09:39:32 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZBIT Options (Read 1078 times)
Kamran
Seasoned Member

ZBIT Options
09/26/23 at 02:18:49

So I can’t stay away from Decware lists.  As my Sarah nears completion, I pulled the trigger on a ZBIT.  While I’ve ordered the option with a single stepped attenuator, had the following questions:

1) Any members who swear by dual stepped attenuators?  I’ve been playing with a single stepped attenuator for a couple of months and love the simplicity of a master volume setting that impacts both channels.  Is the added complexity of a dual stepped attenuators worth it?

2) I saw an option for two sets of RCA outs—how would that work in practice considering you’re still using a single source (balanced DAC) into a single set of XLR inputs? In other words, to what end?

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Re: ZBIT Options
Reply #1 - 12/06/23 at 05:41:52

Hey Kamran,

Sorry, I just saw this. I believe the second set of RCA outs could send the signal to a subwoofer, or another amplifier if biamping. Maybe someone else with experience can chime in here?

Randy

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 12/06/23 at 12:09:56

I like stepped attenuators on Decware components. I have two ZBITs with stepped attenuators and use them often to compensate channel levels in my untreated room and with some recordings.

And I also have one with the attenuators AND two RCA outputs. I'm not using the second output at the moment, but did in the past to feed to my amplifier and to a phono preamp and in another configuration to a headhone amp.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 12/07/23 at 00:13:07

Lon,

I get that the two outputs can be used for  a sub amp or a headphone amp, as I have done the same, But not a phono preamp, right?

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 12/07/23 at 05:58:37

I think that is correct. I didn't word that correctly. When I was using it I was feeding a preamp that I also had a phono preamp connected to.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/08/23 at 04:12:14

Keen clarification 4Krow.  It’s been a while. Hope all is well!

I think I’m going to stick to one stepped attenuator as my room is treated and I can also channel balance if needed via my Autoformer pre.  I also don’t need the additional output.  Been using a loaner model with one output just fine for the past couple of months.

All this feedback is helpful.  Thx All.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #6 - 12/08/23 at 18:24:09

Kamran,

Autoformer you say? I have had a long distance fascination with these. That means that they look promising to me, but I have never used one. Having said that, I am in the middle of a build using interstage audio transformers. The sound is some of the best that I have ever heard.
I like that you are aware of needing balance for a system given most rooms don't sound balanced anyway L/R that is. I have chosen a stacked mechanical device that operates two mono pots independently. Let post this photo for you to better understand what my words fail to do.

PASSIVE_PRE_3.JPG

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #7 - 12/08/23 at 18:29:37

Come to think of it, it is still not completely clear as to what this is. It amounts to a stacked set of knobs that can move independent to one another, or together as a whole. Not a new idea, just an older forgotten one, much improved by this invention.
FWIW, this is not a photo of my present project but rather the one before that.

PB010009.JPG

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 12/10/23 at 22:58:00

Thanks for sharing 4krow—fascinating stuff.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print