05/03/24 at 15:53:43 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is ZBIT reversible? (Read 619 times)
oztayls
Verified Member

Is ZBIT reversible?
09/23/23 at 01:46:46

My sources don't have balanced XLR outputs. Is the ZBIT reversible to convert to XLR and would there be any benefit to do this? I have a SE84UFO on order and wondering whether to add the XLR balanced option even though my sources don't have balanced XLR?

Thorens TD124, Thorens TD125, Lii Audio Fast8 wine barrel oak OBs, Yaqin MS33B, Home made Shure SUT, Bluesound Node, EAR 834 clone, Spud Kit (SEP), Leak Sandwich+Leak Mini Sandwich 15ohm ex ABC monitors, Bottlehead Stereomour II
  IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Re: Is ZBIT reversible?
Reply #1 - 09/24/23 at 15:03:55

The ZBIT can be ordered reverse wired, to convert single-ended to balanced. But there is no reason to do that unless you are going from a single-ended device to another device with truly balanced differential operation. For example, a balanced differential preamplifier will only operate that way if it has balanced connection on both inputs and outputs. Though some (most?) balanced preamps have an inboard conversion to single-ended output option. The SE84UFO is a single-ended device.

The transformers used for conversion at input of a Decware amp (as an option) are the same transformers in the ZBIT. They both / either convert balanced to SE , to "gain admittance" into the single-ended amplifier, while maintaining full voltage of the preceding balanced device. What you are contemplating would have one pair of transformers (at amplifier input) undoing what another pair of same transformers did (reverse ZBIT). Thus, converting SE to balanced and then immediately converting it back to SE.

PS

By the way, many here consider the ZBIT to be a better option than the inboard transformers via XLR input on the amplifier (both / either doing the same thing), because the ZBIT has attenuation control whereas transformer output is fixed for the amplifier input option.

IP Logged
oztayls
Verified Member

Re: Is ZBIT reversible?
Reply #2 - 09/25/23 at 05:47:01

Many thanks for your explanation which was a great help for me to understand how it works.

Thorens TD124, Thorens TD125, Lii Audio Fast8 wine barrel oak OBs, Yaqin MS33B, Home made Shure SUT, Bluesound Node, EAR 834 clone, Spud Kit (SEP), Leak Sandwich+Leak Mini Sandwich 15ohm ex ABC monitors, Bottlehead Stereomour II
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print