Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/28/24 at 00:47:41 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro cord (Read 1078 times)
Sean
Seasoned Member

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro cord
09/16/23 at 22:26:16

I'm not a huge headphone guy, I use these at my desk when I can't use speakers. The are comfy and serve that purpose well. Well, they did. Bit of a tangent, about 9 months ago wife's friend had a feral cat give birth. You see where this headed? Well, my wife has a heart of gold. I told her ONE. ONE kitten. She brought home THREE. She's not good with math. Fast forward to sometime in the 12 hours and one of the little gremlins chewed the wire clean off the headphones.

I'm sure someone here has rewired headphones. Any caveats to be aware of? Would you suggest DIY cable? A quick google showed a how to to add a female terminal on the cans, with devil monsters in the house perhaps that's a good idea?

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Re: Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro cord
Reply #1 - 09/16/23 at 23:19:43

I've done it a number of times.
I got old and could no longer see well enough for anything tiny and up close.

Then I bought a pair of 8X magnifying glasses. Actually, if you are still youngish and can still see up close, you could probably use a pair of drugstore things off a rack, 5X for a few bucks.

But, had I known how helpful a pair of magnifying glasses were from the start, I would have had an easier time, each and every time.

You need a small, low power, pin point soldering iron tip, small guage solder and the ability to work with cables about like eight hairs untangled from a brush.
So, tiny needlenose and sharp blades are possibly helpful as well.

Just use your best small needlenose or heavy duty pointed tweezers, should work fine.
You will need some patience.

Nothing difficult about recabling a headset, except being able to work with tiny wires and tiny terminals.
Have some small heat shrink on hand to finish the job well. Be sure to put the heat shrink on the cable before you solder.

Nothing to it, really. Just understand the small scale in which you are working.
BTW, those cables are not as small as what you find when redoing your turntable, upgrading to silver all the way through.

Good Luck!  It's totally doable!

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/16/23 at 23:26:24

Keep us up to date about the longevity of that particular kitten.

Grin

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/17/23 at 00:35:02

Sounds just like rewiring a tonearm on a turntable. Yes, patience! I’m ok with a soldering iron, but tiny wires and it hands are a big test. I’m 51 and never needed glasses until the past few yrs. I’ve got a magnifying light that I rely on for any small work. Sometime in the next few days I’ll get to it.

We had two cats, then down to one. Wife got suckered into a one eyed cat. She’s a handful, she def has some PTSD. Wife thought kittens would help her. Nope she hates them. Now all four of them follow me around. Two are jumpers and I’ve got claw marks all over my back from them ambushing me. Every day is an adventure.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 09/17/23 at 03:09:58

I have a long-standing belief that good people are reincarnated as dogs and bad people are reincarnated as cats.  [smiley=icqlite27.png] Grin

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #5 - 09/17/23 at 05:14:21

Ha! My wife and I have always had cats, and I’ve always had headphones with replaceable cables. Smiley

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print