Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/27/24 at 17:59:16 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Update On My Digital Journey (Read 1063 times)
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Update On My Digital Journey
09/12/23 at 01:59:06

A couple of days ago I came across a a deal on a Chord Hugo TT2 and... now I am waiting for my TT2 to go with the my M Scaler.  I had in mind to get the Dave and still likely will.  So why the TT2... because it's a sickness??

It all started with the Lumin2 Mini, Muon System, assorted cables and the Chord Qutest to see if digital and then the Chord "sound" would work for me, putting it as briefly as I can.  It did especially after I added the M Scaler, way beyond expectations.  In fact up until this experience I would not have thought that I would really get into digital.  As you can see that has all changed!

Recent discussions regarding preamps and passive volume controls got me thinking about getting and EMI.  The TT2 can drive high impedance headphones and has a preamp stage.  The Dave cannot drive high impedance  headphones.  So besides the DAC section, which is supposed to be a major jump over the Qutest, which is no slouch, I'm going to be checking out the preamp stage as well as the headphone amp in the TT2.

That should help considerably in deciding what to do next as the next steps are going to hurt... bad!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Update On My Digital Journey
Reply #1 - 09/12/23 at 04:09:06

Very interesting .

So, is the TT2 next to the Dave in the hierarchy? I bet it is going to sound great(er) with the M Scaler.

Can wait to hear what you think, and where you land w.r.t. Dave, preamps, autoformers &c.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/12/23 at 05:28:31

Quote:
So, is the TT2 next to the Dave in the hierarchy? I bet it is going to sound great(er) with the M Scaler.

Hey CA, Yes that is correct.  Based on my experience with the Qutest and the M Scaler, the M Scaler takes a Chord DAC to an altogether different level.  The better the DAC the greater the result, as I understand it.  

The Hugo M Scaler was physically sized to sit under the Hugo TT2.  Reportedly the combination of the two is equal to the Dave sans the M Scaler.  Add the M Scaler to the Dave and the effect it makes is greater yet according to reports.  Which goes counter to the established view, or at least my view, that the better the DAC the smaller the effect of an upscaler.

But the M Scaler is not your typical upscaling device and that I can attest to.  I never gave much credence to upscaling and became somewhat dismissive of it.  It's rather unnerving when ones long held conclusions soundly trashed.  In my case it has once again opened my thinking so that now I'm testing out that which I thought I knew and being well rewarded in the process. It's worth reading up on what the M Scaler does and Rob Watts design objectives.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #3 - 09/12/23 at 17:28:43

Yeah, this upsampling thing is way more art than science IMO. Upsampling was great with my previous digital front end but with the Denafrips it is funny. Upsampling in the DAC sounds a bit "digital" for lack of a better word. But upsampling 16/44 to 176 in Foobar or my CD transport sounds a little better than straight 16/44, which sounds very very good in its own right. Upsampling hirez doesn't sound any better (and maybe slightly worse), nor does upsampling to better than 176. But others have very different different experiences, no doubt because of different digital and/or different systems and/or different tastes.

The key is to listen for yourself and find what you like. Unfortunately it seems like we have developed rather expensive tastes .

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 09/13/23 at 01:04:27

Quote:
Unfortunately it seems like we have developed rather expensive tastes

No kidding!

The interesting thing about the M Scaler is what it does and what it does is not what I heard from upscaling devices before and so its effects as an upscaler were completely, well... shocking? It makes things much more real.  Timing, transients, staging, space and position of vocalists, musicians and instruments and space between them within the stage are presented in a way that I've yet to year from a digital front end and it doesn't seem to be contrived or artificial.  It improves clarity and at the same time eliminates grain and edginess or brittleness.  Don't confuse this with "warmth" or "smoothing".  If I were to put a word on it it would "liquid" and "clean" or "clear". There's much more that I won't get into at this time.

As a result my taste now has attached many more $$$$$$$$$$ signs, 😥.  You are SO correct in your summation.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 09/13/23 at 01:07:40

Forgot to mention, evidently this works best with Chord DACs.  There are two bnc/spdif cables between the M Scaler and Chord DAC for the process to be at its best.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print