Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 10:59:50 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hearing loss after a concert (Read 2390 times)
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Hearing loss after a concert
09/10/23 at 18:41:48

So, last night I went to a concert.  I had great seats: 3rd row. The show started, the drums, bass, keys, horns were perfect then the guitar kicked in and dang!!  That guitar was so, so, so, so damn loud and beyond belief with the treble. For a sec I wanted to get the heck out of there but my date wanted to stay.  I had to endure most of the show with fingers in my ears.  Oh, it was super painful. This morning I woke with a headache but I feel the buzz I had last night after the show is beginning to dissipate. Unless I am mistaken that guitar player had to have seen me a few times with my ears plugged. I don't think the band wore plugs but I think the sound levels on stage were not the same as they were for the audience.

I think I am going to carry ear plugs going forward whenever I go to a live show. I'll put a few in my pocket and whip them out if necessary.

This is the kind of thing that is not good for someone who loves audio and audio playback.

Has anyone ever had this problem?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Hearing loss after a concert
Reply #1 - 09/10/23 at 19:26:36

I played in two bands three years at the end of the 'eighties.

Same guitarist in both bands. He always played too loud. He seemed unable to understand that and adjust it. I took to wearing ear protection at rehearsals and performances (there were a lot more rehearsals than performances!) I'm thankful because my ears still test well in the high frequencies. I didn't attend too many loud concerts. . . I would guess the loudest would have been Led Zeppelin. . .I was not and remain a very infrequent attender of concerts.

I rode a motorcycle as my only transportation a dozen years in Austin and my helmet (full face, no visor) actually kept noise down; when I rode without a helmet I had ear protection. Even with a quiet motorcycle the road noise and wind roaring past your ears will get you.

I am very glad I did pay attention to sound hitting my ears. I value my hearing. I'd recommend taking ear plugs to concerts and shows.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/10/23 at 20:08:50

My dad started taking me to concerts when I was 12-13. He would bring cotton balls and fill my ears with as much as we could jam in there. I'm so grateful for going to so many concerts and my dad understanding that protecting hearing is important.

Today I have multiple pairs of Eargasm ear plugs. I have them on both sets of my car keys. I have them in my travel bags and doc kit. I also have 1-2 extra unopened pairs that I have in the house.

Are they the best? I don't know, I did find that the hifi for small ears are the most comfortable for me.

They are clear so when you are wearing them they are not very noticeable.

I wear them all the time. As a society we have become blind to how much noise pollution  is around us all the time.

The Eargasm ear plugs are not the most db reducing plugs you can get. The positive of this is that they can be worn in a lot of situations and make the experience better. Example, having trouble hearing people talk in a noisy restaurant? pop them in. knocks out the background noise and you can hear the people at your table much better. Another place to use them is movie theaters, I don't goto the theater often, almost always it's due to an invite. The last movie I saw was loud distortion it sounded terrible. So glad I had the ear plugs to pop in, made an experience which would have been miserable into an enjoyable one.

Eargasm is a constant sale company. So sign up for the email list or what ever they want get the discount and leave the list.

edit: they come with a small metal holder with a key ring so attaching them to your keys is very easy.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/10/23 at 20:36:52

The older I get the more it happens, but I go to fewer concerts now. Friday nights I take my son to a local car cruise. They have a biker bar there. He likes to watch the cars leaving so we hang out by the entrance. Well, two Harleys lit it up leaving and my right ear went berserk. Cracking and itchy. Woke up yesterday with neck and ear discomfort. On top of that my wife came home from a business trip with Covid. Ack.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 09/10/23 at 20:51:09

I never attend any live event without those little squishy soft rubber things that you can stuff into your ears. I buy them by the hundreds. I give them to anyone who does not have any.
I put them in in the parking lot.

I also carry -45dB cans around my neck (The kind your insane friends use for protecting their ears on gun ranges. They are really good.) in case the little bubbles are not enough.

Despite the typical warnings, you should do this on your own.

But I have to establish the Legal Precedent in reciprocal for my admonishments.

I am a professional. You should always do this.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 09/11/23 at 02:45:04

Sorry to heat that Matchstikman.  Hoping you have a speedy recovery from the ear trauma.

Prior to becoming a full blooded audiophile training the ears to pick up on subtle sonic differences, I didn’t really give ear protection much thought.  Now, I am decidedly more concerned about protecting my ears and have a pack of earbuds at home in case there is a need to go to a live event.  Recently,  I attended a wedding where the DJ was playing super loud and I didn’t think of carrying the earbuds.  I was cupping my ears for protection and eventually (towards the tail when the party really got started), I left the ballroom.  I was the odd one out—nobody seemed to have the same degree of sensitivity of protecting their ears.  I just couldn’t take that chance given this hobby of ours.

GroovySauce—I’m going to look in to Eargasm (they look better than the ones I got).

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #6 - 09/11/23 at 08:59:26

Back in the early 90’s, I worked as an usher for the Meadowlands Arena out here in NJ.  I was luckily enough to mainly work on the floor upfront center stage.  I did it for close to 15 years and have probably seen close to several hundred shows to date.  Ear protection was a must so  I learned early on how important it is to protect your ears.  AC/DC along with Iron Maiden wereso loud, I still came home with light ringing even with plugs in my ears.   SCARY!!  

I won’t go to a concert today without ear protection.  The ringing should only last like a day or two…so hang in there.   I played the guitar growing up and through college.   Having played in a wedding band for 2 years we were always conscious of our volume in relation to each other’s instruments.  It was always a battle….especially when you don’t have a sound man for adjustments.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
DanC
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 09/11/23 at 12:27:07

Guitar Players!
I used to play drums at a friends house every Friday night. He built a small music room when he put an addition on for more living space.
It was the type of thing where musicians from bands all around would come over if they didn’t have a gig that night.
I stopped going over because of guitar volume. The 2 main guy’s are half deaf anyway, we are all in the 40-60 year range.
They refused to turn down, saying I didn’t understand that they had to get the “their tone” and to do that it had to be loud.
All the guys that showed up on any given night were good to great players.
I’m talking about 90db on my phone as the quietest and guitar solos over 100db.
Anyway, I now am wearing hearing aids. I played at church for 10 years and got to experience some fantastic guitar players who could make a $200
guitar sound like a $2000 guitar sound unbelievable at low volume.
I was the drummer in the area different church’s would call if their own drummer couldn’t make it for whatever reason.
A lot of the guitar players play to hear themselves and “their tone”, not playing the song to make music. It becomes a volume contest as they keep turning up so they can hear themselves play.
Well, that’s my experience with loud guitar playing. I know, it sounds a little harsh maybe,  but it is what it is, and it’s just the thoughts of a crotchety 66 year old retired drummer!
Cheers, Dan

IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 09/11/23 at 14:51:46

Sorry to hear about that Matchstickman.  I am very sensitive about my hearing and it's not a subject to be taken lightly for audio fanatics.
I never attend concerts without earplugs anymore, and to be honest I don't really even enjoy live music when it comes to large concert events because the sound is rarely as good as my listening room.
I recently attended an Irish festival and mostly avoided the stages.  Bagpipes, amplified, are not enjoyable, especially when there are three at once!  Though I do find bagpipes at a distance quite nice when not amplified.
I played in a metal band for about a decade and we practiced in a low ceiling basement.  The guitar player used two full stacks and insisted on running them both at "10" to get that sound.  I used foam plugs under my muffs.  Bad times.
It's always the unexpected events that take me by surprise.  Air travel can be a little too loud, and when traveling over seas or for extended periods that high SPLs can add up.  Similar situation with driving.  I even had lunch outside recently at a brewpub and found thier "background" music excessive...  checked my decible meter ap on my phone and it was peaking over 100 db.  They lost my business.  Even more concerning was that the next table over from me was a couple with an infant.

IP Logged
DanC
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 09/11/23 at 18:55:11

Rehearsal in a small room, two amp stack and turned up to 10.
They have to get the “TONE” they like, exactly what I’m talking about.
One thing I learned from a Juilliard trained keyboardist who was older than I, an amazing player that told me “learn to play music, not the drums” when I was much younger. I took it to heart, and with her help became a real player, not just another drummer.
I wish that most of the guitar guy’s I have met would concentrate on playing THE SONG OR THE MUSIC, instead of their “Tone”.
Rant is over. This is all my opinion, no offense intended to any guitar players here. As always Cheers!

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 09/27/23 at 15:48:41

Okay, this is strange.

It took a few days to get the ringing to go away.

However, lately, I've had trouble going to sleep.  I can hear the overhead fan humming, and I never heard it before.  It is driving me nuts.  I thought maybe the fan was old and needed to be replaced so I went to sleep in another room that also had a fan.  I could hear that fan humming, too.  Strange, right?  I have a fan in the kitchen.  I can hear that one humming also.

So, I thought.  Electrical problem at my house.

Then, I went to a friend's house and I could hear his fan humming, too.  In fact, I could hear his TV make noise.

It has to be some kind of psychological thing.  Or, maybe, I've turned into a superhero.

The hum isn't loud.  In fact, no one hears it until I point it out, but I hear it all the time.

This is nuts.

So, I am now using a white noise machine to drown out everything.  That seems to work. Aarrrggghhh!!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 09/27/23 at 15:56:32

Gosh, i'm very sorry you are going through this.

To be honest. . . I think it's time to see an audiologist.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 09/27/23 at 18:31:20

An audiologist?

That sounds like some guy that will tell me that Bose is the way to go.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 09/27/23 at 18:35:43

No, it's someone trained to analyze your hearing and any defects and direct any improvements. (You know that).

https://www.audiology.org/consumers-and-patients/what-is-an-audiologist/#Do%20Au...

Seriously, in your shoes that would be my next step.

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 09/28/23 at 00:58:52

'White noise'. I have had to use a fan next to me when trying to sleep for years. If it is quiet, I do not sleep and will hear everything within a few miles it seems.lol. Even an owl way off in the distance with windows closed. My wife and kids always seem amazed at what I can hear..then as the source gets closer, or we get closer, they finally hear it too. When I was young, I worked among fighter aircraft all day, every day, I was a fortunate one with no problems due to immense noise.  Lucky. Sounds like you are hearing just fine now! But if it is that 'different', I agree with Lon there...get checked out Matchstikman

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 09/28/23 at 01:06:38

I am going to get checked.

This is the white noise machine I use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HD0ELFK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?i...

It is actually a fan and it works great.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 03/24/24 at 18:59:44

Well, I did it to myself again.

I went to see a show at a small venue, not a concert hall or auditorium, small.  I'd say smaller than a typical restaurant, in fact.   I think the capacity was 200.  The show was great; however, the band had enough fire power for a hall double, triple or four times the size.  And, even though I now carry disposable ear plugs in my car I went with someone else and there were no ear plugs to be found.

The thing about 100 watt Marshall amps is that they don't shine until they are cranked.  I'm talking about a preamp-less Marshall with just a straight out volume control set to 10.

It makes me wonder how the musicians themselves aren't deaf.  I could not see any of them wearing ear plugs.  However, it is possible that the sound levels on the stage were not anywhere what they were on the audience side.

This morning, my ears are still ringing.

Wouldn't it be interesting if concert halls had a sound level display somewhere visible so people could see just how loud it was? Or, a sign that said, "establishment is not responsible for hearing loss due to extreme sound levels."  The thing is I entered at my own peril.  I should know better.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #17 - 03/24/24 at 20:46:51

Oh boy….sorry to hear about your experience.  In a pinch,  try anything to use a barrier..a wet paper towel/napkin could help.  

I’ve played on Marshall amps.  They do like to be pushed to get that classic Marshall sound. I love their mini stacks….what a sound.  

Hopefully the ringing goes away soon…that ringing is no fun.

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Jeff1

Reply #18 - 03/24/24 at 21:49:39

Carry Earplugs with you. I have been using protection for over 25 years for movie theaters, Motorcycling and any other situation you may encounter extreme sound. Everyone experiences sensitivity to different frequiency ranges differently. I have used for many years 3M E-A-Rsoft FX. the NRR is 33(db) You can get them on Amazon and are inexpensive. By the way I have walked out on a concert that was way to loud for me when I didn't have plugs with me. Sometimes I wonder how others can toloerate the excessive loudness but I may be more sensitive to it.

PI Audio Uberbuss, Esoteric K05X, ELF gold Interconnect, TabooMK4,ZMF Silver Michanikos, ZMF Atrium Closed Back.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print