Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/30/24 at 19:10:56 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Cryotone 5AR4 V2 Rectifier (Read 1590 times)
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

New Cryotone 5AR4 V2 Rectifier
08/31/23 at 18:48:25

https://wathenspeakers.com/store/p137/5AR4-WC_-_V2.html
"The CryoTone 5AR4-WC V2 Rectifier has been developed for larger amplifiers than the
original 5AR4-WC works with.

While the original 5AR4-WC worked with exceptional results in smaller amplifiers like the
Decware SE84 UFO, CS3P and countless Guitar amps, the 5AR4-WC V2 is much more arc resistant.
Small in size compared to 5U4 and 274b types but Huge on sound impact.

This high quality tube is an indirectly heated twin diode, full-wave rectifier that handles high current well.

The results allow the very desirable pristine sound and impact that is sought from many critical listeners.

This Rectifier tube provides just enough sag to make music sound lush without getting mushy and blurred.

This Version has the same controlled slow startup but can be used in higher draw amplifiers than the original 5AR4-WC. "

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Re: New Cryotone 5AR4 V2 Rectifier
Reply #1 - 08/31/23 at 20:54:26

Saw that too.  waiting for a response from Don on these vs the version one, which I have been running for a while now.  If he says it's a worthwhile upgrade, I'm in for a pair.

IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/01/23 at 09:07:46

I too am using their 5AR4-WC in my Sarah 300B, I love the sound and really like the soft-start and haven't had any arcing like I got from using a 5U4. I will probably pull the trigger to check this new version out, eventually.

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/03/23 at 04:41:42

I had a conversation with Don about the 5AR4-WC V2.  The skinny on the V2 is that indeed it was, as stated, developed for large amplifiers and/or amplifiers with large power supplies like the power supplies in the Sarah and it indeed came with an unexpected bonus.  "Pristine sound and impact".  This is not to be taken to mean that the the sound is thin or etched.

Problem is that my new sound room won't be ready till November.  I'll just have to stare at them till then...🥴.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #4 - 09/03/23 at 14:41:47

Joman said:

...my new sound room won't be ready till November

Did I miss some discussion of room treatment for this room?  With the amount of attention, you give to sound, there might be a story. Smiley

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 09/03/23 at 20:32:38

Hey Tony,  No discussion yet.  Been distracted by more pressing renovations, some by choice some by the.. unwelcome surprises.. in this processes.  I probably won't even start looking at what will become my sound room till October.

IP Logged
whynotnothing
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 01/08/24 at 11:49:41

Did anyone try this out? Would it make sense to order this one for the UFO2.1?

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 01/08/24 at 15:40:31

I have a pair of the V2 but have not had the opportunity to try them yet and compare the V2 to the earlier version 5AR4-V1.

I ran the V-1 in my UFO25 and had no issues at all.  In speaking with Don Thomas he concurred that the V-2 was more robust with the unexpected refinement in comparison to V-1.  He also confirmed that the V-1 could arc in the SARAH 300B.  Charles just posted that the Cryotone 5AR4 arced in his SARAH 300B but his post didn't state whether it was the V-1 or V-2.

Based on my experience with Cryotone tubes and the 5AR4-V1 and Don's comments I would've no concerns with the V-2 in the UFO 2.1 or the UFO25.  In fact I plan to run the Cryotone V-2 in the two UFO25's that I have on order when, eventually, I get them.

As far as the sound is concerned, my goal is ultimate transparency.  I find the Cryotone 5AR4 and the Miniwatt/Amprex 5AR4 Metal Base to be my choice.  I don't care for any of the other 5AR4's and some prefer 5U4's and 274B's.  That's very subjective and there's only one way to know.  Try them but the Metal base is now EXTREMELY hard to find and if you find a good one, they're eye watering expensive.  For that reason I would not recommend the Metal Base.

IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/09/24 at 03:52:59

Yo guys. I stumbled across this. Give me a heads up  :) I have the tubes and all box data. Both 5ar4's were v2. The 5u4 doesn't say v1 or v2 so I don't know but I have manufacture test dates.

Charlie

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
EverSolo Streamer/DAC combo
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
TEAC and Otari tape machines
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 02/09/24 at 12:22:07

Quote:

Hopefully this will be of help.  

Have a look at the Wathen web site.  The WC5AR4-V2 is smaller than the V1 and the base is "red" instead of black.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 02/09/24 at 12:25:45

Sorry, forgot to add... I don't think that there was a V2 of the 5U4, you might want to check with Don.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #11 - 02/09/24 at 14:58:06

And 5U4 rated for more voltage and current than the 5AR4 in any case. Based on Steve's comments the 5AR4 is "on the edge" when used in Sarah, the 5U4 has a margin of safety. FWIW.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print