Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 15:09:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Non-Decware Preamp Shortlist (Read 5305 times)
HiFi Bri

Non-Decware Preamp Shortlist
08/26/23 at 15:40:50

I've been researching various preamps to pair with a UFO amp, and assembling a shortlist that includes options all over the map, from passive volume control, to tube and solid state gain stages.

Being that this forum already contais a ton of information about Decware gear, I'm hoping to keep the focus on non-Decware preamps that are readily available. I'd like to keep the price below $5000 USD (used or new).

Here's my list so far:

LTA microZOTL
McIntosh c22
WooAudio WA22
Lab12 Pre 1
HoloAudio Serene
Pass Labs XP-12

Passive Attenuators:
Emia Autoformer (Slagle)
icOn4 Zen (Slagle)
Tortuga

I'd love to hear thoughts on this list from forum members, and if anyone feels there are other preamps I should be considering.

I realize the above list reveals I have no idea what I want in a preamp! I'm interested in hearing suggestions and feedback from those of you who've come to appreciate specific characteristics of a preamp, especially when paired with Decware gear.

SE84UFO | ZRock2 w 25th Ann | Rega P3 + Groovetracer Mods | Hana EH | Darlington Labs MP7 | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZSTYX Speaker Cbls | Omega Alnico Towers | Butcherblock Acoustics RigidRack
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Non-Decware Preamp Shortlist
Reply #1 - 08/26/23 at 16:51:49

Quote:
Posted by: filthnoise      Posted on: Today at 07:40:50

I've been researching various preamps to pair with a UFO amp...
...WooAudio WA22

...Pass Labs XP-12

I've had a WA22 for over 3 years now and think it is fantastic, as both a headphone amp and a preamp. I used it briefly with Pass Labs Alephs, UFOs that I've since sold, my current 300B amp and plan on using it with UFO25s that I hope to receive in the next couple of months. And if you're into tube rolling it is quite a playground. In fact I would say tube rolling is essential because the stock tubes, while perfectly usable, don't do it justice. And you can adjust the sound pretty much any way you want, from almost solid state clarity to old fashion tube warmth to anywhere in between.

And while I haven't heard the XP-12 specifically I'm a big fan of Pass Labs in general. It is not a budget option by any means, but would be an excellent option for SS that would go very nicely with a Decware amp IMO.

The thing about both of those is they are balanced, which I (strongly) prefer but you will need a plan to deal with if you are using them with a UFO. One option would be a ZBit, or my choice is to get two amps and configure them as balanced mono blocs. You also wouldn't be getting your moneys worth if you weren't using them with a balanced source IMO.

I'm also a big of Denafrips DACs. I don't know very much about their pre-amps but if you are considering Holo, you ought to give them a look as well.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
RonP
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 08/26/23 at 17:09:45

Although I've not directly compared it with anything else, I've been pretty happy with my older generation BAT VK33 pre-amp. Not the 33SE.

I have my eye on a ModWright Pre-amp (eventually). Dan's great to deal with and I have a few pieces of his gear already.

It's probably worth a few minutes of your time to check the product lineups for both companies (BAT & Modwright). Worst case, you find something you don't like and you re-affirm your current shortlist.

GL!

Obviously there are a lot more brands and you can easily spiral down the rabbit hole of comparing options.

Nottingham Ace Spacedeck TT w/Heavy Kit + AudioMods S6 + SoundSmith Paua mk II • Modwright PH9.0XT • Cambridge CXNv2 (ModWright) & CXC • Modwright LS99 • Decware TORII MK5 • PI Audio UberBUSS • TriodeWireLabs Power Cables • Clayton Shaw Caladans (Ordered)
  IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/26/23 at 17:15:31

Might want to consider:

*Backert Labs
*ModWright

preamps as well.

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
HiFi Bri

Reply #4 - 08/26/23 at 19:35:11

Great feedback, thank you!

Very interested in the Backert Labs Rhumba.

SE84UFO | ZRock2 w 25th Ann | Rega P3 + Groovetracer Mods | Hana EH | Darlington Labs MP7 | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZSTYX Speaker Cbls | Omega Alnico Towers | Butcherblock Acoustics RigidRack
  IP Logged
RonP
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 08/26/23 at 23:11:57

Seems these are on clearance sale currently direct from mfg to make way for the new version.

"Rhumba 1.3 linestage tube preamplifier: now on clearance for $3,600 "

https://backertlabs.com/rhumba-1-3-tube-preamplifier/

Nottingham Ace Spacedeck TT w/Heavy Kit + AudioMods S6 + SoundSmith Paua mk II • Modwright PH9.0XT • Cambridge CXNv2 (ModWright) & CXC • Modwright LS99 • Decware TORII MK5 • PI Audio UberBUSS • TriodeWireLabs Power Cables • Clayton Shaw Caladans (Ordered)
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 08/27/23 at 00:22:31

I love my Autoformer based passive pre and would highly recommend trying that route.  :)

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 08/27/23 at 00:24:44

Do yourself a favor and give the EMIA or ICON a go. Autoformer volume controls are mind blowing good!

Once I heard the EMIA copper remote autoformer in my system it was a no brainer. Everything across the board was better and it added a bit of X factor magic.

If Steve offered Dave Slagle's autoformers as an option for built in volume control peoples heads would melt. Friends and families will call for wellness checks because it's so good you don't want to leave the room.

I had my Torii made with no volume control with the EMIA autoformer, it's the best synergy I've ever experienced in 20+ years of putting together hifi systems.

Yes this reeks of hyperbole however, there are 4 things I will not mess with. Room treatment, Torii MKV, Snake River Audio Cables and of course the EMIA autoformer.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 08/27/23 at 00:32:40

I owe GroovySauce a debt of gratitude for bringing the Autoformer volume control on my radar.  It has had a profound impact to the sonic character of my rig. So much so, that it has led me to question the value of the ZR2 in my chain—but that’s a post for another day.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 08/27/23 at 10:26:26

GroovySauce and Kamran, have either of you compared the EMIA and icOn?

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 08/27/23 at 12:54:17

I second your thoughts Kamran. Groovy did put Slage's Autoformers on my list of upgrades. Never did like carbon/plastic pots but seemed to be the only reasonable option. Resistors rob power. Zrock adds noise. Have to put the autoformers on the short list. I invision replacing the CSP2 with the autofomers and ZSB.
John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 08/27/23 at 13:27:24

I have not compared the Icon and EMIA. They both use Dave Slagles nickle autoformers. My guess is the difference in internal parts, wire, relays and layout are the sonic differences.

If you are handy with a soldering iron and the idea of DIY is an option. Dave sells just the autoformers. He even has options that have a switch soldered in already. If you're comfortable with the DIY You could have a world class preamp, that will go up against 6 figure preamps all day long.

If you do go the DIY route I would suggest spending the extra money and getting a pre wired one.
https://intactaudio.com/atten.html

Dave is a great guy!

I use the Speaker Level Autoformer Modules for the attenuation on my speakers. I replaced the L-pad with them and it was a massive improvement.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 08/27/23 at 14:21:13

Thanks GroovySauce.  Looks like the EMIA Remote Copper will be added to the short list of what's next.  Once my listening room is completed I'm getting the Chord Dave and the new Wathen DiPoles so I guess it's in for a penny in for a pound... 🤦‍♂️

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 08/27/23 at 19:21:42

For what it's worth, this is a killer deal. https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1693103206

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 08/27/23 at 19:55:59

Thx Joman.  I have compared some notes with GroovySauce and our collective sonic experiences are in alignment.  I got a good deal for the entry level ic0n4 which might be discontinued temporarily but I didn’t need more than two input anyways (the pricier units use the same autoformers, but have more input options including balanced and single ended).

You can look up the reviews—-they are overwhelmingly positive.  Initially, the founder wasn’t using Slagleformers but switched a couple of years back and hasn’t looked back.  I believe he’s using a bespoke version of David’s autoformers so it may not be exactly the same as what is inside the EMIA.  One cool feature that both units share is the ability to remotely change the volume by 1 db increments—I didn’t realize how useful this was going to be until I started using it and fine tuning the volume with the ZBIT and ZR2 in the chain.  Pal is a great guy to deal with. Shipping from Manchester was actually faster then I expected too. Hope this is helpful.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 08/29/23 at 12:18:55

Thanks info Kamran.  I'm definitely going to look into the icOn.  Been on the site already.

Thanks for the link pursuit now.  

IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 08/29/23 at 19:48:16

Those various ic0n units have piqued my interest as well.
Extensive, detailed writings on these components over at 6moons.

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 08/29/23 at 19:57:02

Why not try a Schiit Freya+..... It will let you audition passive, active/SS, and full tube modes? Its dirt cheap, and scratched my itch as of late. I had several much more expensive preamps the most costly approaching $7,500 I sold them all out of necessity and purchased the Schiit as a temporary pre. I have found in the last 6 months or more that I am in no hurry to replace it. There's a ztpre here FS now and if I had the money I would get it as I owned one years ago.

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
EverSolo Streamer/DAC combo
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
TEAC and Otari tape machines
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 08/30/23 at 02:42:57

Hey Charles,
I have a CSP3A that has a full complement of Cryotone tubes and has been processed.  I'm happy with it.  This discussion of EMIA and icOn has peaked my interest as I'm on a front end upgrade path.  As I've added components and changed cables I ended selling my ZR2 as it was no longer needed.  That came as a bit of a surprise.

I'd better add this now... Don't get me wrong, I still feel that the ZR2 is a great component, a definite asset and needed in certain circumstances.  My circumstances changed in a way that it was no longer necessary.

So I want to make sure that I don't make a lateral move but one that continues to make meaningful significant improvements.

IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 08/30/23 at 05:39:57

Only your ears can and should determine what possibly is a lateral, backward, or forward progressive move. I do understand.

Good luck with the hunt.

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
EverSolo Streamer/DAC combo
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
TEAC and Otari tape machines
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #20 - 09/19/23 at 16:15:26

GS said on 8/27:

If you are handy with a soldering iron and the idea of DIY is an option. Dave sells just the autoformers. He even has options that have a switch soldered in already. If you're comfortable with the DIY You could have a world class preamp, that will go up against 6 figure preamps all day long.

OK, that leaves me out Smiley However, I contacted Pine Tree Audio, and they build a passive amp and can customize it to use Slagle autoformers (Elma 47 Position Autoformers), no remote. I have confidence in their work; they once built me a ZBit-like component that compares well to my Decware ZBit.

I have two questions for anyone who might know from working with a passive preamp: This device has two limitations: 1) 47 positions instead of 68 like the Icon Pro. 2) No remote.  

Would either be a serious limitation?

Thanks

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #21 - 09/19/23 at 17:15:01

Quote:
Posted by: Tony      Posted on: Today at 08:15:26

I have two questions for anyone who might know from working with a passive preamp: This device has two limitations: 1) 47 positions instead of 68 like the Icon Pro. 2) No remote.  

Would either be a serious limitation?

The answers are "it depends."

47 positions is probably fine IMO, but it really depends on how they are distributed across the gain range, and how picky you are about volume. My Decware amps had 20 step attenuators, and that would have been almost enough for me if I didn't have a preamp. For many years I had an AR preamp with 100 steps (and remote control, more on that below) and that was overkill. But YMMV.

As for remote control, I gave it up a few years ago when I ditched the AR for a Woo Audio WA22. I'm old enough to remember life without remote controls (not counting my little brother), and while it took a little while to adjust I'm fine without it now. But again that is me, and my preamp is 1 1/2 steps from my listening seat and I often get up to change CDs anyway.  

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 09/20/23 at 02:14:28

For reference, the following image will show the steps that are missing using 68 steps over a 75 db volume range for the icon:

I’m somewhat picky given my fine tuning with the ZBIT and ZR2 in the chain and it bothers me slightly that I can’t access -24.  In other words, I would be very concerned about their distribution with 47 steps.

No remote is a complete showstopper for me.  That was part of the allure of the icon.  I exclusively stream using my phone or tablet and need the remote to change volume and or mute in a given session from the listening position.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 09/20/23 at 13:53:12

I have the EMIA Remote Autoformer 61 position is -54 dB to +7 dB in 1db steps. I've never wanted smaller steps. The 47 position is -51.25 to +5 dB in 1.25 dB steps. I don't see the 1.25db steps being an issue.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #24 - 09/20/23 at 17:10:59

After researching passive preamps for a few hours and reading all the posts on the forum (quite a few dating back to 2010), I have paused this investigation for now.

For anyone interested, I found a couple of current sales of the Icon 4 through US Audio Mart for around $2220 - 2400— excellent interactions with the owners. Also, Pine Tree Audio can build a passive amp, customizing it to use Slagle autoformers (Elma 47 Position Autoformers), no remote, for around $1800. They also make lower-priced units or could use one of the less expensive Slagle autoformers - I found a reference to one for about $200.00. I'll keep these notes for a future time.

For now, I must console myself with tomorrow's return of my UFO25 amp from the deep freeze at Wathen. Smiley

Stay tuned.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 09/21/23 at 02:11:59

Here is the shortlist when I was researching Autoformer based passives:

EMIA
Ic0n
Townshend Allegri (they don’t use slagleformers but are very highly rated nonetheless)
Adding Pine Tree Audio to the list

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 09/28/23 at 04:03:31

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print