04/29/24 at 14:48:07 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mullard GZ32? (Read 7814 times)
Sean
Seasoned Member

Mullard GZ32?
08/23/23 at 23:28:15

There are plenty of posts about the Mullard GZ32 / CV593 all over the internet. Most, if not all, sing the praises of this tube. 12 years ago they were $35, then 65 and now it seems the word has been out and supplies have likely dwindled now they get listed for about 100+. Any of the ones currently listed that I've seen that I'd be comfortable with are about $125-130+. It's a fraction of what some tubes go for, but for me that's a hard argument with the wife about "those light bulb things you have".

I recently got a RCA 5V4 for my 84UFO, it was about $25. I was running a RCA 5U4 and it was the best sounding rectifier out of my small bunch of 5U4, 5U4GB, 5Y3GT, and a 5z3. The 5V4 brought the low end up multiple notches. It also seems "louder" than the 5U4. So far, I really like this tube and we'll see how it breaks in.

I didn't see many posts about this lately, a few from many years ago. Now that time has passed, is the Mullard GZ32 still the bees knees or has the hype worn off? I found posts that said, "just get it and be done with it" and similar. Anyone still agree with that? Other posts stated the 5V4 was the poor man's GZ32. I'm in no rush for another "light bulb thing", but now that I've heard the 5V4 I'm curious what others have experienced.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Mullard GZ32?
Reply #1 - 08/24/23 at 02:00:06

In my Toriis, once I tried them, instead of 5U4G-STs mostly, I generally preferred Philips made ST coke bottle shaped GZ32 and used variations for years. My fav here was a Mazda with double bottom rectangle getters, the cleanest of the ST shapes I tried but also fast, smooth and resolving. The same shaped Mullards I have are warmer, and Philips Holland closer to the Mullards, but in between. In my already warmish setup, I liked the Mazdas better, less noticeable as to the tube having a sound here anyway. But in another leaner setup, the Mullards would likely be better.

I got tighter/faster bass with 5V4 or GZ32 over 5U4s also, making it sound like it brought bass up, but I am pretty sure they actually bring the bass down enough to speed it up and let it "breath" more space. My theory is that the 5U4s tended toward a little too much bass in my setting, making them tend thicker/fuller and shifting the balance to darker/slower overall. And I think the GZ32s or 5V4s are faster and tighter by nature, with more sense of space, but being a little less powered up, less bass also. So if the system is a little thick/dark, the resolution seems better with the milder faster tubes, in part because they do not push the other tubes as hard. This "push" is throughout the way I hear it, but if the bass is close to muddle in a system/room, and the rectifier goes a little too far, the extra bass push seems most noticeable because it gets so full it falls into being less resolved... too thick.

I feel pretty confident I have corroborated this theory in this system/room with experimenting with other tubes, the bassier, more powerful choices often exciting room modes more, or just plain being a little full dark in my amp, and for my tastes. If I use a little cleaner/less powerful tube (like nice PCC88s or nice ECC88 variants in the place of E88CC) the milder push conveys across the spectrum... less powerful/forceful, less concentrated,  but again, even with inputs, the bass, if it is off, can tend to show easier if it is closer to those subtle edges of good speed and resolution, and getting a little overwhelming...

Liking bass that is naturally full, but also tightish and textured (no masking really).... when something is little too much, fullness can start to slide into variations of muddle and/or boom, while the darker tone balance leaks darkness and fullness into the mids.

Cables also... I have found variations, but generally, if a power cable of a given design and materials is too big, it seems to bring with it a sort of compression that slows, darkens, and thickens the whole. And if I back it off a little gauge wise, it opens a little and I find the beauty balance. Same with ICs and speaker cables for me.

Personally the RCA 5V4s (coke bottle ST shape) I tried, I think '52, were a little dark/slow/warm for me. But I found GE and Sylvania fat bottles on the too clean side. Again, my system, but the latter worked a little better. The rectifier being so influential on all else, the RCA was not ideal for my setup and needs. Whereas the Sylvania fat bottles being quite clean but smoother and a little less super clean than the GE fat bottles, I could warm them up with other tubes and have the clarity and speed I wanted, with other tubes warming the whole up enough that the fat bottles were not too much. In another leaner system, I suppose I could prefer the RCAs ???

Whereas, the clean Mazda GZ32s were fast and resolving, and not overly dark or overly clear here, so I used them for a long time...

Later I got into some specific 4 volt Euro tubes like AZ11s, or RGN-1064s, these types having the same electrical values but different pinouts and adaptors... but out on a limb, having high cap ratings, but being 4 volt and the amp set up for 5. I used them without many issues for more years than the GZ32s... a lower sense of power, but very musically resolving tubes, so not in the face, and not missing anything here especially since I almost always prefer a little less bass balanced rectifiers here. That said, to me they have a pretty close resemblance overall to the Mazda GZ32, but better resolution to me... more fine detail in open space. The nice ones are really well made older tubes... a lot from the 30s and Telefunken or variants, straight bottle and globes, or Philips Holland globes... some of them with solid plates, and some mesh. I have no idea about recommending these though... I have never heard from anyone who really knows if there are any issues except the possibility of the mesh plates frying with more voltage than rated... but I don't think that happened in my amp but one or two times, and am not sure with these old tubes, perhaps some more vulnerable for other reasons and the voltage pushing them a little too hard as well??? And I did pick up a bunch of them over time as good deals came up, so was rolling them. But I think some of them stayed in for a few years... So I can only say I really like the sound here, and it may be in part because the Torii IV and HR-1s seemed innately a little bass heavy in the balance, for me anyway, and before I opened them up some. But even then I still tend to prefer this tube type, and have for a really long time.

A caution if you go for GZ32s, I am not positive, but think it was some of the earlier ST shaped Philips-made tubes that had a different cathodes setup, with narrow tubes and vulnerable cathodes. I got some Telefunkens and Darios with narrow cathodes tubes before I knew better, and both sounded great for a bit, but fried pretty quickly. I have not seen Mullards this way, but don't know if there were any, and most GZ32 I have seen in the past did not have the really narrow cathode design. But the thing to do is avoid those ones with the really small diameter cathode tubes. I am putting up a picture. It is a little hard to see the tops of the cathode tubes coming through the top mica, especially the little ones on the right hand Dario, versus the bigger ones on the left hand Mullard. I would avoid the ones like the right one.

Not sure as I have not tried a lot, but the few fat bottle Philips GZ32s I have are on the cleaner sounding side of STs, even cleaner than the Mazda STs some. And the Brimar STs, to me were obviously really nice tubes, but more intense... more consolidated, which did not appeal as much back when I tried them. It might now, and it might in your amp though. Anyway, hope this helps.

" alt="" title="" border="0" />

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #2 - 08/24/23 at 02:49:58

Quote:
Posted by: will      Posted on: Today at 18:00:06

...Personally the RCA 5V4s (coke bottle ST shape) I tried, I think '52, were a little dark/slow/warm for me...

I had a similar experience 5V4Gs in my UFOs. Depending on the other tubes the extra warmth was nice at first but I moved on. Actually I moved on to the Mullard GZ33, which for me, is by far the best rectifier I heard in my UFOs. Easily better than the Mullard smooth-plate fat-base GZ34 that a lot of people really like. And I really liked it too, but the GZ33 is more transparent, dynamic, had a much bigger sound stage and just the right amount of liquid tube yumminess for me.

It seems like prices on pretty much anything "Mullard" are nuts these days, even compared to how nuts they were early in the pandemic. So you have to be pretty motivated to buy pretty much any of those tubes today IMO. If you want my pick for a "reasonably" priced UK NOS rectifier that I think sounds very good I like this:

https://www.langrex.co.uk/products/5z4gycv1863-kbfe-stc-brimar-nos-boxed/

A few years ago they were like 20 bucks, but even at 50something dollars I think they are a killer deal compared to Mullard GZ32s or most anything else.

Also, FWIW, I got some of the 4 volt rectifiers Will mentioned to try when I get my UFO25s. I tried them briefly in my headphone/pre-amp and they sounded very good, so looking forward to trying them out.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/24/23 at 14:48:42

The 50s versions of 5C4S ST shapes I have are nice clean and dynamic tubes.... not off the top in any way, but nicely open and fast, and out of the way... sort of a nice foundation for the other tubes. I have not tried the straight bottle versions. I got a lot of 8 I think with 4 slightly shorter ST bottles, and 4 taller ones from a highly rated seller in the Ukraine I think. I preferred the taller, but can't recall why, and the Torii, which I have used them most in, is not in the system now so I can't compare. In the overall neighborhood of GZ32s, and really inexpensive, so could be worth a try.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/24/23 at 18:27:49

Wow, that’s an incredible amount of info. Thanks! Going to take awhile for me to absorb all that.

While listening last night I tried to throw a bunch of different music at the system. The 5v4 is exciting, however, on bass intense albums it can be overwhelming, if I was running subs I would have turned them down. Also, the outer edges of the soundstage seem to be rolled off somewhat. As with any NOS tube I ah e no way of knowing if it was actually used, judging by the appearance of the tube, it looks unused so I’ll keep at it and see if it settles in at all.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #5 - 08/24/23 at 18:54:13

Will,

Have you compared a 5C3S to a 5C4S?

I've been using the C3S exclusively for a few years now, and have been happy with em. And for, on average, $35 a pop, a great deal.

Maybe I should try the 5C4S? I assume an adapter is needed to match Decware socket?

James,  I tried the 5Z3 a year or so ago, and I didnt think it bettered the 5C3S. But maybe your source would be worth a try.

Best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #6 - 08/24/23 at 19:09:07

Quote:
Posted by: Geno      Posted on: Today at 10:54:13

...James,  I tried the 5Z3 a year or so ago, and I didnt think it bettered the 5C3S. But maybe your source would be worth a try.

5Z3 is a very different tube. It is a 5U4G with an (old style) 4 pin base. The one I linked above is a 5Z4 aka GZ30. I've never tried a Russian rectifier, but for me the Birmar is one of the 3 or 4 best rectifiers I used in my UFOs. And I've tried a lot  . JMO/FWIW/YMMV and all that.

Quote:
Have you compared a 5C3S to a 5C4S? I assume an adapter is needed to match Decware socket?

So, I haven't heard either but technically the 5C3S is a 5U4G equivalent. The 5C4S is closer to a 5Z4/GZ30. No adapter needed.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #7 - 08/24/23 at 20:47:33

Thanks James. You da man!

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 08/24/23 at 21:41:12

Geno, I bought some I think '57 5C3Ps, Winged Cs way back, and found them then to be nice tubes, textured and warm, and open enough to be without a lot of detail masking but some. But back then, they were too slow and colored for me, and a little too bass balanced ultimately. Three minor strikes here not good even though it is clearly a nice tube. So I thought to try them today to test my memory and see if my views have changed with the 300B in now and the many other system changes changes since last I tried these rectifiers a long time ago.

They sound better than my memory, doing all they do better. Which makes sense as my system has come a long way since I tried them. But basically the same qualities... still a little bass balanced, a little soft/thick, a little too slow throughout, a little masked, and a little too colored for me here. But I think it is important to factor in that my pair might be pretty different than yours vintage/material-wise and sound different, and as much, yours seems to be a very clean and (to me) pretty bright system, and mine, comparatively warmer and less bright, though probably more resolving, just because I have worked so much on fine resolution in so many ways. But just the spectral balance being different could change the same tube perceptions in pretty big ways. A system weighing toward bass might go over with a certain tube, and one weighing leaner might to do really well with the same tube. And I can see why this tube has been a popular one for so long, especially the mid 50s ones pretty famous I think.

It is so interesting how specific this stuff gets, everything effecting everything. Even with similar tastes and conclusions about what sounds like music, what makes up our sound, it is all so interdependent that two of us could be very carefully crafting a very similar sound experience, but necessarily, due to working for synergy with so many different parts to each music room, we could easily find similar sound balances with different rectifiers helping us to get there.

James, relative to the Brimar  you linked, I can't find mine, with a vague memory of breaking it. But I think it was earlier, and I bought it as a GZ32 guessing well over ten years ago... so it may not be the same tube, though I may have bought it from Langrex. I see on Ebay they have a Brimar labelled GZ32 listed now, 70s like yours, and also inexpensive, but a different construction, without those cool holes in the plates. I am pretty sure mine was labelled STC like yours. Anyway, I think mine was officially called a GZ32, and like I mentioned, it had great tube qualities, revealing, dense and focussed. But it was too concentrated with this system and room, in this setting the Mazda GZ32s opening space and fine detail better for textures and decays to breath with more ease and grace.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #9 - 08/25/23 at 02:23:57

Quote:
Posted by: will      Posted on: Today at 13:41:12

...James, relative to the Brimar  you linked, I can't find mine, with a vague memory of breaking it. But I think it was earlier, and I bought it as a GZ32...

Yeah, GZ32 is a different tube from a 5Z4. And like US tube manufacturers, UK companies bought and relabeled each others tubes all the time. Unless you can tell by the construction one needs to dig into the factory codes to know for sure who made what.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 08/26/23 at 12:54:20

Have any of you compared these NOS tubes to the Aqua 274B?

I bought one for use in my Rachael at Lon's suggestion and then just transferred it to my 25th when that arrived.

It was such a step up from the RCA 5u4Gs I was using that I haven't considered any other rectifiers in the last 4-5 years.  Maybe its time.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 08/26/23 at 17:05:51

Pal,

I've done lots of comparisons to the Sophia Aqua 274B, often checking back in with it to see if I can get it to work better for me than others I tend to use. As you bring it up, I realize I like it better than some RCA 5U4G-STs I have, and maybe comparable to some more open and nuanced ones. But the Sophia does have it own character with compelling balances to me when it fits.

Here, in this warmish, fullish setting, the 5U4G type tends to be a little too full and darkish for me, a little... But in a more open tube setting, exposing the 274B Aqua's dynamics and nuanced inner space and fine detail more, I get it. I guess for me though, something that usually catches my attention here is there tends to be a slight disparity between its nice detail, space, and speed, and the mid/bass down tending a little less fast and defined..softer... That said, I stopped working to make the general type work here a long time ago, probably 10 or more years ago, so have not been working with that baseline... I got away from them when I discovered how well GZ32s worked here by comparison, preferring their less full, more open and speedy feel.

And after that, the 4 volt RGN1064 and variants, in this system/room, still preferring less powered up tubes that are nicely textured with lots of fine detail and space. To me the nice ones are more refined in these critical (to me) areas than the Sophias, and that being a compelling trait from the Sophias when they are opened up enough to show it.

If my setup were a shade or two less bassy and warm, that could be a different story. Like I suspect it might be if I had your SE84UFO-25 and those super clear Lii 10" drivers rather than my Torii and HR-1s. Even though I have opened and sped both up a lot, so far I still appreciate their warmish qualities and have held onto that as a foundation for more open speed and resolution throughout. But then, if I had a little more open system/room, to get more rectifier power, there are a number of more powered up 4 volt Euro tubes that are really nice, and having gotten away with using them a long time in Torii and CSP3 (so far), I might tend that way if I needed more push. But as I said earlier, I can't recommend these, being off-spec, and I have never tried to figure out if there are electronic repercussions, but liking the sound here with my Decware amps.

Interestingly, for some reason the Aqua fits the 300B amp I found better than my Torii or CSP3 for me. Maybe this 300B, and maybe others, like more power push behind their signal better??? showing the big 300B qualities more fully while retaining open complexity... And as I slowly open and speed up the amp internally, the Sophias sound better and better to me. Going gradually with modifications, the amp is almost "there," open and resolving, but still tending a little bass weighted, and slightly slow and full. So depending on the 300B tube, I have used a Fivre 5R4GY, a very open and pretty fast tube that gets little use here unless I need something that open to balance the sound, or some Mullard GZ32s.

As I burn in some Shuguang 300B-Z premiums, the Mullards seem really good. In their new state, these 300Bs are not opened up and refined as I expect they might become, tending a little brash up top, a little restrained...slightly slow/veiled... and the bass a little touch and go, sometimes nicely defined but not fully developed and refined yet. In this case, the solid dynamic speed of the GZ32 going pretty well across the spectrum, with pretty rich and open resolution that is also smooth...contributing to some complex warmth... the sound is pretty beautiful. But once the amp modifications are done though, who knows.... maybe the Sophia will be my choice??? But right now the GZ32s make some green 300Bs that will no doubt develop and refine, sound pretty sweet.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #12 - 08/26/23 at 17:07:23

Quote:
Posted by: Palomino

...It was such a step up from the RCA 5u4Gs I was using that I haven't considered any other rectifiers in the last 4-5 years.  Maybe its time.

I've never heard the Aqua, but my experience is you can certainly do better than RCA 5U4Gs. For 200ish bucks that the Aqua costs there there are a lot of options. The 5Z4 from Langrex that I linked above and the Russian tubes that Will likes are definitely "budget" options to consider. For more $$$ my favorite rectifiers are the GZ33, GZ37 and GZ34 fat-base smooth plate. All of these are likely to be highly reliable, although the only tube that failed in my UFOs was a high dollar GZ34 that should have outlived me. So there are no guarantees.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 08/26/23 at 18:05:21

Thanks for the responses.  The aquas are that expensive now?  I guess everything is going up.  

I May give 1-2 a try.  I may have an old RCA around here and a couple others.

I bought the P10s which are likely still breaking in. If anything I may still need to try some tubes to soften things up a bit.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #14 - 08/26/23 at 18:17:19

Good morning, CAJames, I thought about this tube when you mentioned it before, so with your reminder this AM, I put in an order.  I'll let you know how it goes once it arrives and has some time to settle in.  Even with the shipping to the USA cost, overall, it was affordable.  

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 08/26/23 at 19:43:14

Small update. The bass on the 5V4 getting to me, after paying close attention to it, the overall sound was a bit muddy in the middle. I thought back a week when I tried a Mullard IEC 6DJ8/ECC88 with a RCA 5U4, that pair had little bass and sounded thin. Why not dip chocolate in peanut butter? So last night I the Mullard with the 5V4 and was rewarded with peanut butter cups. Bass was at a better level with no slop. Tight and fast. The highs were very open and less in my face. I did hear some brittle or jagged edges, but it may have been the LP. I may try some of the Russian input tubes tonight.

It really amazes me that you guys can keep all the tube #’s, characteristics, combinations and related thoughts organized. It’s impressive and a wee bit daunting at times. Having dipped toes in other hobbies and ran into “well buy my book and find out” or secret nonsense it’s just refreshing everyone here is respectful and willing to share.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #16 - 08/26/23 at 20:12:10

Sean said:

It really amazes me that you guys can keep all the tube #’s, characteristics, combinations and related thoughts organized. It’s impressive and a wee bit daunting at times. Having dipped toes in other hobbies and ran into “well buy my book and find out” or secret nonsense it’s just refreshing everyone here is respectful and willing to share.

I had the exact same thought.  If tube recall were on an IQ test, I would be lost.  I've built a tube database grid document and could not do without it.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 08/26/23 at 20:16:33

I guess some of us have just been exploring tubes a long time, and with luck get a baseline knowledge of types and individuals as a sort of second nature. Especially since tubes are so much of our sound with these amps, I love learning them, and learning to use them to get the sound more real, across more recordings.

And I am always amazed how they are so alive, and how a bunch of them together, each with given baseline "family" qualities, can show pretty differently individually, and depending on the company they are in... which collectively can make just a few tube types powerful for tuning.

Sean, relative to your recent change, ECC88s in particular show characteristic values, but also seem pretty variable in my setups. Compared to E88CCs, less push giving milder bass and generally more space, decays and textures, some can do this with really good balances, but some can get pretty soft down low, especially without help from other choices.

As I look at it, how much a tube "pushes" the next, is becoming more and more a simplified indicator. If an amp has a rectifier, VRs, an input, then power tubes, even just four types set up a powerful progression of how each influences the rest. In this case, the rectifier "push" and the way it makes the DC influences cleaner or faster, or warmer and slower, more resolved or less, denser or more open signal feel... or whatever... the rectifier starts the progression, it effecting all the rest. So if it is powerfully too pushy, focussed, bassy.... or too lean, bright, hard edged... or whatever, that sets up the rest. Then the VR is next, more or less push, more or less resolution, more or less warmth, its influences are added on top of the rectifier sound, while also influencing the input's sound. And the input sets up the power tubes...

So we can work the sound adjusting any of these one way or another, but the progression, and how much each influences the next... and the next.... seems to be a way to look at it that can be a useful foundational tool...pointing to what I call "the push" as one of the primary "reads" for me.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #18 - 08/26/23 at 20:38:15

Yeah, I've been hoarding collecting tubes for a long time. And I'm fairly invested in researching, finding and testing the tubes so I guess they tend to stick in my head. FWIW I'm horrible with remembering (people's) names, but numbers and tube types stick pretty well.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 08/27/23 at 00:26:56

I have tried the GE 5U4, the Mazda 5Y3, and the famed Mullard 5AR4/GZ34 from the Blackburn factory, but my favorite is my Sophia Electric Aqua 274b.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #20 - 08/27/23 at 20:08:36

Great thread and for me, very timely. After some break in time with my UFO25, I’m now exploring different tube combos. For the past couple of weeks I’ve been looking into the Mullard GZ32 to see if it may be what I’m looking for at this point. I was a little discouraged by the pricing or how good NOS tubes seem to be hunted to near extinction. I’ve been looking for an indirectly heated/slow start tube for the amp and I’ve not been so happy with GZ34/5AR4 types. They seem a bit too thick for me. I was afraid other GZ types may be similar. Thus far, I seem to prefer rectifiers that have a higher V drop. But I wanted to see if there was a good alternative.

Will, your info and caution on the Dario MiniWatt GZ32 was very useful, as I’d considered picking some up to try, but since reconsidered. Your description of the Mazda GZ32 with DD getters had me intrigued and I was lucky to find one. I just got it yesterday and wow! This is like the Goldilocks tube for me. Brought everything together with my tube combo and in my setup, to give such an amazingly pleasing sound. Bass is incredible… deep, but very detailed and textured with nice decay and no bloat. A very dynamic, clean and clear sounding tube with great detailed highs and expansive soundstage. Really loving how this tube is playing with the others in my preamp/amp! I have an RCA 5Z3 in my CSP3a to give some warmth and this GZ32 compliments it really well. Thanks for the suggestion! At some point I may need to check out some of those 4v tubes you mentioned.

Based on your high praises, CAJames, I also ordered those Brimar 5Z4G tubes yesterday, from Langrex, to compare. They seem to get very good feedback on other forums as well, so I want to give them a try, as an alternative. They still seem to be a little easier to find and priced nicely. Tony, we’ll have to compare notes when they come in.

Have had this Zen amp for about 2 months now and am having so much fun and just blown away by how good it sounds!

Mofi Ultradeck w/ Hana ML>Sutherland Insight>Eversolo DMP-A6>CSP3-A>SE84UFO25>Energy Veritas>REL T7i
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 08/28/23 at 01:40:18

Good news on the Mazda Liquid Blue.

I didn't mean to necessarily rule out Dario Miniwatts, they can be really nice clear GZ32s as well... it is the small cathode tube models to avoid, not the brand. If you want a variation on the theme, but as I recall, a little clearer than the Mazda, you might keep an eye out for a Dario fat bottle GZ32.

I was liking the Mullard GZ32s the other day in my 300B, and it was pretty amazing with a lot of music. But finally, especially with these warmish/fullish Shuguang 300B-Zs (at least at this stage of burnin) the Mullards were too warm/full for me, hearing the tube too much. Good textured/detailed warmth, just not my thing with this particular setup. Right now I am back to Fivre 5R4GYs (also from Langrex) ... which can be too clear, but sound great with this amp and tubes.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #22 - 08/28/23 at 04:02:43

LiquidBlue said above

I also ordered those Brimar 5Z4G tubes yesterday, from Langrex, to compare.... Tony, we’ll have to compare notes when they come in.

Sounds good 👍

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #23 - 08/29/23 at 16:51:03

I thought I had answered this question myself, but I cannot find a note of that answer, so I thought I would ask it here:  I am waiting for delivery on a 5Z4G rectifier and need an adapter to use it in a 5U4 location.  Can I assume that my 5Z3 to 5U4 adapter will work, or do I need to order a specific 5Z4 to 5U4 adapter?

Thanks

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 08/29/23 at 17:16:32

Tony, Lots of "octal" tubes have less than 8 pins. The 5U4G uses only 4 pins in the socket. As I recall, your 5Z4/GZ30 should be plug and play with a 5U4G socket.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #25 - 08/29/23 at 18:02:37

Hi Will, so in the case of the 5Z4 no adapter is required, just insert it in the socket as I would with the 5U4 rectifier.  Thanks.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #26 - 08/29/23 at 18:03:44

Quote:
Posted by: will      Posted on: Today at 09:16:32

Tony, Lots of "octal" tubes have less than 8 pins. The 5U4G uses only 4 pins in the socket. As I recall, your 5Z4/GZ30 should be plug and play with a 5U4G socket.

Correct, no adapter needed for the 5Z4/GZ30. The determining factor for an adapter is not the number of pins so much as the center "key." All octal tubes have one, regardless of the number of pins. 4 pin (technically UX4) tubes like the 5Z3 and 300B do not have a central key, the pins are different size and only fit one way.

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 08/29/23 at 21:07:59

All aboard the rationalization train!!! I bought two Mullards, a CV593 (GZ32) and a CV378 (GZ33). I'm only going to live once, I'll never know for sure unless I try, they are popular and in demand so resale shouldn't kill me if I don't like them, I'll use a $100 tube way more than that $100 box set, etc...

That Brimar 5Z4G is still on my radar. Liquid Blue, keep us updated how that one and the Mazda work out for you.

Carried on with some rolling the past few days. I don't like either of my Russian input tubes, one is a Reflector 6H23P and the other is a 6N1P-EV with the rocket. Nether of those had any dynamics for me with the 5V4, really dull. So back in went the Mullard ECC88. Also pulled the RCA 5U4 out of the ZP3 and put a GE 5z3 in there. I didn't expect much honestly, the 5z3 never really excited me. After 10 minutes or so I was starting to think my rationalization train derailed and I didn't need the Mullards. Nice big, full, and open sound, my seat felt right in the middle of it all.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #28 - 08/29/23 at 21:35:14

Quote:
Posted by: Sean      Posted on: Today at 13:07:59

...I didn't expect much honestly, the 5z3 never really excited me. After 10 minutes or so I was starting to think my rationalization train derailed and I didn't need the Mullards. Nice big, full, and open sound, my seat felt right in the middle of it all.

The one thing I know for sure about tube rolling is it is all about synergy. You just never know what combination of tubes, tubes that didn't seem like anything special in a different context, are going get together and create beautiful music. That said the GZ33 is by far the best rectifier I used in my UFOs and if, for whatever reason, you aren't happy with it let me know .

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #29 - 08/30/23 at 19:46:40

Those GZ33 are challenging to find, although Billington does list them.  Can I assume these would work in Decware amps?

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 08/30/23 at 22:04:11

I haven't heard of the GZ33 not working, I'm pretty certain 32, 33, 34 work fine.  

I got my GZ32 and 33 from MullardMagic in the UK:
https://mullard.org/search?type=product&q=gz33

Not sure how long they'll take to get on this side of the ocean, they "left the country" earlier today.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #31 - 08/31/23 at 01:31:52

Quote:
Posted by: Tony      Posted on: Today at 11:46:40

Those GZ33 are challenging to find, although Billington does list them.  Can I assume these would work in Decware amps?

Yes, they work (great) in Decware amps. The GZ33 is the beefiest 5V rectifier that I know, with higher output current and voltage than either the 5U4/5Z3 or 5AR4/GZ34. In fact it would be a great option for Sarah.

Now, as usual, there are some confusing names. In this case, GZ33, GZ37 and CV378. I don't claim any special authority on this topic, but AFAIK, the difference between the GZ33 and GZ37 is the recommended first power supply capacitor. For the GZ33 it is very large, certainly over 100 uF. For the GZ37 it is 16 uF. Then there is the CV378, which is the UK military designation for one or the other of them, or maybe both. Sources I trust have said both, but I lean towards CV378 = GZ37. For the purposes of Decware amps I don't think the 16 uF matters, but if it is important to you stick with the GZ33.

Regardless, if you're looking to buy these I love Billington, and have been very happy with the tubes I bought from Mullard Magic, and there are plenty of GZ3[3|7]s for sale on Ebay if one is so inclined. I said above the GZ33 is my favorite rectifier, I bought 2 pairs a couple years ago when they weren't as crazy expensive as they are now. I also got a great deal on a pair of the original GZ37/CV378 tube, the "fat bottle" Cossor 53KU that I can't wait to try on the UFO25s, hopefully in the next couple of months. I have 1 "thin bottle" GZ37 that I've used in my headphone amp and like it a lot, but haven't heard it in a Decware amp.

IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #32 - 09/01/23 at 02:00:02

Schtaaaaaaapit!!! Cheesy The Mazda GZ32 is sounding amazing right now. I should have the Brimar 5Z4G delivered tomorrow to try and now you guys have me FOMO’ing over the Mullard GZ33, so I did that thing with Mullard Magic. Guess I really can’t go wrong, but seriously. I gotta stop!!!  ;D

Mofi Ultradeck w/ Hana ML>Sutherland Insight>Eversolo DMP-A6>CSP3-A>SE84UFO25>Energy Veritas>REL T7i
  IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 09/02/23 at 20:39:52

Could these 5Z4GY/CV1863 be used on the UFO2 ?

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #34 - 09/02/23 at 21:29:24

Yes. I currently have a new Brimar 5Z4G in and it sounds and works great. I want to get some hours on it before further assessment on how it sounds.

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 09/02/23 at 22:05:14

My tubes from Mullard Magic are sitting at the sort center about 10 miles from me…until Tuesday…no mail Monday. My daughter is in the middle of a softball tournament this weekend which keeps me busy during the wait.

IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #36 - 09/02/23 at 23:12:04

Sean, my order from Langrex was shipped on Tuesday from the UK and was delivered on Friday. This was with standard mail (their cheapest option). Just as quick as ordering within the US. Quite surprised. My order from Mullard Magic was shipped yesterday. Will see if it’s as fast.

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 09/03/23 at 02:23:32

Wow that’s pretty quick LiquidBlue. I saw they had 194 in stock so I figure I have some time before trying the Brimar.

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 09/22/23 at 21:40:36

It's been about two weeks since I received the CV593 (GZ32) and CV378 (GZ33). Last week I had wicked bad sinuses and didn't listen for 2-3 days. I put the GZ32 in the UFO and the GZ33 in the ZP3 to start with. That night everything was good, but something bugged me about it. The next night I switched them and put the GZ33 in the UFO and the GZ32 in the ZP3...Bingo! They've been that way since and I have no second thoughts of switching them again. The first few days were a bit up and down, but the last few nights have been very good. If there are any negatives, it's that every now and again things go a little "sharp" or tinny. I'll blame that on any of the multiple variables related to vinyl playback, or even the input tubes in either the UFO or ZP3. On the positive side, I don't believe I've heard clean and roomy mids in this house ever before. I didn't realize some of my other tubes were mudding up the mids and the center of the image, now instruments are all over the place and my brain can dance between them. It makes me want to register to everything all over again.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #39 - 09/22/23 at 22:00:04

Good stuff Sean. The GZ33 was my all time favorite in the UFOs.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #40 - 09/22/23 at 22:57:28

The GZ33 was my all time favorite in the UFOs.

CAJames,

Well, that comment provides me with a good segue: Yesterday, I installed my GZ33 from MullardMagic into my UFO25 - which had just returned from being Cryo'd at Wathen.

Tony

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #41 - 09/22/23 at 23:01:28

And....

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #42 - 09/23/23 at 00:41:35

And........, it sounded great!  I want to take a few evenings of listening before saying too much, as I didn't want to go only on first impressions.  That being said, my first impressions were overwhelmingly positive.

On second thought, I am thinking about last night's experience now, and I have some notes to refer to, let's see what I can add.

As I said, my UFO25 amp returned from its deep freeze at Wathen Speakers Thursday afternoon. The entire process took about a month. During that time, my Torii MKIV returned to a well-treated listening room, sounding better than ever. More than once, I thought it might be challenging for the returning UFO25 to surpass the Torii in terms of listening enjoyment, but that's precisely what it did.

First Impressions:

Don wrote that the amp would require no burn-in time and that I would hear sonic improvements from the start, which I did. My first impression was that the sound was brighter than before but not blaring - historically, I'm sensitive to that.  This was more of a crispness of sound, especially with percussion, which caught my attention, and I enjoyed it.

The bass was better - improved over what I remembered. I miss bass when absent, but I rarely love it. With last night's listening, however, an affection was present. The bass had smoothness and resonance that was not there before.

There was a noticeable separation between the left and right channels and between the notes. I tried to describe this change to myself, and it wasn't easy. Before, as best as I can remember, it was as if the notes were pushed together, with less separation between them. The word "smeared" comes to mind, but that sounds too critical. Last night, the notes had more individuality; there was space between them. The sound I heard was fast but with more clarity than before.

Vocals especially were better, with a more emotional tone. There was more discernable emotional expression. For example, if a song and its lyrics described a seduction within a relationship, I could hear and feel it. Sexy.

One last note I made had to do with tracks featuring saxophones. I'm not a big sax fan, with some notable exceptions - Johnny Hodges, Paul Desmond on alto, and Stan Getz on tenor - not much more. Last night, each saxophone track that was on my playlist sounded good. What's that about!? What change in an amp could do that? Tonight, I'm going back to give another listen to some young guy on sax named Charlie Parker - perhaps I was too quick to judge his sound. Smiley

That's all I have from my notes. I was delighted with what I heard.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #43 - 09/23/23 at 00:51:36

Whoops, I am sorry for stealing this thread.  If I could move it, I would.  I'll create a new one for any future posts on this topic.  Tony

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 09/23/23 at 03:20:23

No worries Tony, some of what you wrote I wasn't able to articulate. The left right separation, vocals being clear and floating right in front of me.

I'm an Allman Brothers fan, but more of the 90's iteration. Warren Haynes is one of my favorite guitarists. I was listening to Selections From: Play All Night: Live At The Beacon Theatre 1992, on Elizabeth Reed towards the end Dickey and Warren play (or try to) the exact same parts that are insanely fast. I never heard it this way, Dickey on left and Warren on the right. Each time they missed syncing a note it was very obvious. It was a moving experience.

One other thing. I have never used a slow start rectifier. I have a VR tube on the ZP3, but not the UFO. I'm trained that when I turn on the ZP3 the VR tube flashes to life instantly. The 12AU7 and 12AX7's have such a dim glow I didn't see them on. I thought something was wrong and turned it off. Try it again, same thing. This time I'm making sure the power cord is seated and the VR tube flashed. Whew. It then dawned on me what "slow start" meant!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print