Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 13:40:06 

Poll
Question: Which speaker would you recommend for my system?

Klipsch Forte 4  
  0 (0%)
Crites Cornscala CS-B  
  0 (0%)
Other?  
  3 (100%)

Total votes: 3
« Created by: Jimbofire on: 08/21/23 at 02:28:34 »

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Which speakers would you recommend for my system? (Read 2569 times)
Jimbofire
Verified Member

Which speakers would you recommend for my system?
08/21/23 at 02:28:34

Long time lurker, first time poster. I’m in the middle of upgrading my vinyl focused system and coming to the point of making a decision on which speakers to buy. The system will comprise:
Turntable: Technics SL1200 mk3D with Nagaoka MP500 cartridge - warm, rich, full and detailed
Preamp/mixer: Condesa Carmen V - warm colouring to sound
Power amp: 2x Decware SE84UFO2.1 set up as monoblocks

The speakers I have shortlisted are Klipsch Forte IV, and Crites ‘Cornscala’ CS style B.

I’m located in Australia so have been able to listen to the Klipsch, but won’t have an opportunity to listen to the Crites but have only heard good things.

Forte IVs retail at approx $13k AUD, though occasionally pop up at about $10k on sale. The Cornscalas will likely cost around $7-8k AUD by the time they’ve been imported, taxes paid and cabinets finished to look slightly less agricultural.

I listen to a wide variety of music, but 90% would be jazz, reggae, funk, soul and disco.

Most of what I’ve read online suggests the Crites smoke the Forte 3 and Cornwall 3, but that the 4 series heritage line is a huge improvement. Resale value is not a factor, I’m only concerned with what will sound best and am looking at custom locally made cabinets for the Crites option for a more polished look and reduced shipping cost.

IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Re: Which speakers would you recommend for my system?
Reply #1 - 08/21/23 at 03:15:30

A few questions:

What size room will they be placed in?
How far from the rear wall can they live?
What is your usual listening volume?
Do you prefer a “ live”/ party speaker? Or a more laid back, relaxed sound?

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #2 - 08/21/23 at 04:30:29

I can only speak about the IV’s, they have that big passive radiator on the back so they need room to breathe. But the Forte’s reproduce live music like nobody’s business. They can rock out but play very quietly surprisingly well. I’m going to try a pair of floor standing Decware speakers, if not 2, but I’ve heard it said by a YouTube guru that everyone should own a klipsch horn speaker at some point in their life.

KEF LS50 wireless 2 w/KC62 sub
Analog Ethos select series 2a3>Decware HDT-v2
Dennis Had Inspire 6FLV-v>Decware T6
Shanling STP10>Klipsh forté IV
Dennis Had 300PSE>Decware DNA 2
IPad mini>Audio Quest Dragonfly cobalt>Focal Clear
Willsenton R300>Bose 601-II
  IP Logged
Jimbofire
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 08/21/23 at 09:04:39

Thank you for the responses!

The total room size is about 4m x 11m (12ft x 33ft), in an open plan layout. The main living area where the speakers will sit is approx 4m x 3m (12ft x 9ft), fully open plan. Excuse the sloppy drawing! Red blocks are the main pieces of furniture (couch, dining table, record storage), green is the preferred positioning for the speakers (in front of full height glass), and yellow is my listening position. Ideally the front of the speakers would sit no more than 1m/3ft from the wall, ideally a little closer. There are heavy curtains over the glass, and I’m able to treat the room for reverberation and diffusion within reason.

I would describe my listening volume as moderate - 60dB-65dB normally, or up to around 75dB if I want to push the boat out a little.

I prefer a livelier sound, but not analytical or cold.

548ADA5A-405D-4ECD-8685-2B98A62DBA34.jpeg
  IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/21/23 at 14:58:31

Jimbo, I have owned several pair of Klipcsh Heresy, currently H1’s of my Brothers that I rebuilt with Criites crossovers and Drivers. Nice improvement. That said as my only speaker experience have been Klipsch (got mine 1976 at 18 years old and my little brother has those; I wanted to try something else. There are alot of great choices and I went with crossoverless single driver Omegas and very happy. I swap in/out the Hersey but my favorite is the Omegas. It seems with your room and furniture that the B model would sit on floor and about same size as the Heresy. Will the sound be blocked by sofa, music cabinet? The Forte seems more of a tower.
At your volume preference, as refined a speaker you can get seems would be best, Klipsch have rep as loud party speakers, but I say still sound good at sub 85 db. Maybe even a nice stand mount speaker like Decware T6, ones I would love to try!
Just my 2 cents and not an expert by any means, good luck on your quest.

Bilyeaux

ARC LS25MK2, UFO2.1 & Denafrips Pontus II DAC, PSA P300 Regen, Rega P6 w/ NEO and Rega MM Phono, Marantz CD6006, Bluesound Node 2i, Nakamitchi Cassette, Syzygy Sub, Omega JR XRS Towers & 74' Heresy rebuilt from Crites, ZWIRE speaker, DSRXLR, AQ connects
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #5 - 08/21/23 at 15:12:57

Bilyeaux's suggestion of the Omegas will save you money, and I'm betting the quality of sound will be better to boot.

This is what he has:  https://omegaloudspeakers.com/products/junior-8xrs?variant=38555244684

As a bonus, you have a choice of multiple finishes. Plus, in your smaller room, these will take up less space, and work better IMO.

No affiliation with Omega...

Just my .02

Geno

P.S. Bilyeaux, you wouldn't be one of those dang cajuns, would you??? Smiley

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #6 - 08/21/23 at 15:27:57

+2 for Omega. I'm between Decware amps at the moment, but I loved them with 2 UFOs, configured as balanced mono blocks and anticipate even better results when I get my UFO25s in a couple of months.

FWIW I own these:

https://omegaloudspeakers.com/collections/monitor-speakers/products/super-alnico...

But be warned that they also have a waiting list. I have no idea how long it is.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #7 - 08/21/23 at 16:30:37

Here is another recommendation for the Omega speaker.  I have:

https://omegaloudspeakers.com/products/super-alnico-high-output-monitor?variant=...

I found these used, and their contribution to my system was remarkable.  I see Omegas for sale online at various sites.  Speakers seem to move slowly, so that you might find a good deal with some research.

I think a pair is currently offered by one of the Decware community members. Good luck!

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 08/21/23 at 16:58:28

Fraid so Geno, not too far from your Mississippi home der. Got an ole buddy of mine living in Perkinston not too far from you…Did you move recently?
Randall

ARC LS25MK2, UFO2.1 & Denafrips Pontus II DAC, PSA P300 Regen, Rega P6 w/ NEO and Rega MM Phono, Marantz CD6006, Bluesound Node 2i, Nakamitchi Cassette, Syzygy Sub, Omega JR XRS Towers & 74' Heresy rebuilt from Crites, ZWIRE speaker, DSRXLR, AQ connects
  IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 08/21/23 at 17:03:20

Clarification, I grew up in Baton Rouge, in Texas now 17 years.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #10 - 08/21/23 at 18:08:58

Good to hear Randall.

I’m a long suffering Ole Miss fan, and obviously, LSU is a big rival - that’s where the ‘darn Cajun’ comment comes from Wink

Yes I did move recently, but only about 15 miles away from last home - Brandon to Pearl. Still the Jackson metro area.

Best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Jimbofire
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 08/22/23 at 10:39:03

Thanks for the recommendations, I’ve not heard of Omega as a brand before and will definitely look into these a bit more. How is the sound of these compared to the Forte’s? I’ve heard the Forte 4s with a Cayin integrated amp and generally like the horn sound.

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 08/22/23 at 17:11:24

Jimbo, we have the older Klipsch Chorus II's so I cannot speak on those versions you are looking at. We've owned the Chorus'II's since 1998 and still, to this very day have no desire to change these! Our son purchased a new set of ForteIV about a year ago now is nuts over them still. He's in Ohio so hope to see him soon ..and of course check them out too. So many good choices  and no doubt that includes Decware too. Best of luck to you~Mike

IP Logged
Keith
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 08/27/23 at 03:52:54

Check out the Audiophilliac, Steve Gutenberg on Youtube . He recently switched from the Cornwall 4's to Pure Audio Project Duets. I have the Trio 15's with the horn. Love them. I think they are 94 or 96 db for Efficiency. The fellow at Spatial Audio builds open baffles and claims they need less room treatment .

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print