Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/03/24 at 20:01:00 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SE84UFO for sale - needs repair (Read 3369 times)
jimmieg
Ex Member

SE84UFO for sale - needs repair
08/19/23 at 17:55:40

The amp is about five years old. I'm the original owner. Recently my dog knocked over a stand mounted speaker which fell on the amp. The rectifier tube was knocked over in the process, breaking the plastic center pin. I put a new tube in but the amp will not light up. I bought another amp last year which I also like....will keep that one and would like to sell the Decware "as is" to someone with the knowledge and tools to fix it. I'm in the Dallas TX area.

IP Logged
jimmydrunk
Verified Member

Re: SE84UFO for sale - needs repair
Reply #1 - 08/20/23 at 14:22:07

Good morning. What is your asking price and are there any pictures available?

IP Logged
jimmieg
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/20/23 at 18:05:57

IP Logged
jimmieg
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/20/23 at 18:11:41

Pics were taken today. I included a close up of a small "scuff" on the front corner of the case.
I had the amp on the floor due to space constraints, which did not help with the accident. The other amp I have has a tube cage so safer to have on the floor.
I am not sure what exactly the damage is, but maybe the rectifier tube socket is broken. I paid $995 in 2017, and it worked perfectly until this. Maybe another member might be able to help with a fair price would be under the circumstances?

IP Logged
jimmydrunk
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 08/20/23 at 18:37:17

If a fair asking price is established, please allow me first chance to purchase. Thank you very much.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/20/23 at 21:51:24

Wow, I bet that gave you a pit in the stomach!

I imagine this could be relatively simple.... or not. Even though a minimalist design, there is a lot in there including parts and connections, and this sounds like a relatively notable hit.

I can imagine, like you, that this could possibly have damaged the rectifier socket and/or connectors.

But was the amp on when it happened. I am wondering also if knocking the rectifier out while the amp was on, seems this could possibly have shorted the rectifier along the way and blown a fuse (or more depending on if fuses are inside that amp).

Seems that just the impact could possibly even break fuses. Have you checked the IEC fuse, and the internal ones if your amp has those? And if you are comfortable opening it, might look around carefully and see if anything catches your attention... including looking over solder connections to see if any broke

But I suppose it could possibly be a just a fuse or two... fingers crossed...

If not something you can fix, like fuses or whatever level you are confident and safe with, being the original owner especially, could be worth calling Decware to see what they might charge per hour to look and fix... may be worth it even in prep for selling so that you and the buyer know it is all good. A trained tech would not likely take long to identify problems. And I imagine there may be some creative way to integrate this with a warranty transfer setup for the next buyer if you wanted??? Guessing they can likely mitigate or even fix the powder coat "scuff" too. My thoughts anyway.

Good Luck!

Will

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
jimmieg
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/21/23 at 15:57:00

Thank you Will.....this continues to be an excellent forum with great members!
Not sure I want to open it up. And while I know how to solder fairly well, I don't know that I will correctly diagnose the issue. May prefer tp sell it "as is".
A new one costs $1,195.00 and has a very long wait list. So someone may jump on this one even though they will have the risk of fixing it?

IP Logged
Jabo
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 08/30/23 at 20:44:26

Has this sold yet?

IP Logged
cmdc

Reply #8 - 09/01/23 at 04:16:22

Just re-upping Will’s question about whether the amp was on when the speaker fell on the rectifier. Sharing that info could be useful for anyone considering whether to make an offer on the amp, and the appropriate offer to make.

Best,

Carroll

Main:[[TD124 [Koetsu RWS>SME 3009S2Imp][Aidas Durawood>Moerch DP6]][TD124 [Ortofon A90>Kuzma 4Pt9]]>Ned Clayton Cinemag SUT>Dodd Audio Phono Stage>ZRock2][SonicTransporter i7>Mytek Brooklyn Bridge]>ZSB>ZMA>[Zu Druid Mk V][Caintuck Lii 15 OBs/Bass Baffle]
  IP Logged
jimmieg
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 09/01/23 at 04:29:13

Hello: no the amp was not on when the speaker fell on it. The plastic center pin on the rectifier tube was snapped off in the socket. I was able to turn the amp over and have it fall out. I heard back from Steve who simply said it should be sent to him for service. I’m interested in letting go as-is.

IP Logged
Jabo
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 09/02/23 at 17:03:33

I was potentially interested in this but have just purchased a used Rachel.  However, this is my take…. No one can guess the cost for repairs.  Putting all the risk on the buyer will require a very significant discount, certainly multiple hundreds of dollars.  (Additionally, a discount would be appropriate for the scuffs).  My thought was to agree to a price as if the unit was in good working condition and then the seller would send the unit to Steve for an estimate.  I would agree to pay the first $X which would equal the cost of Steve putting the unit in warranty condition (including fuses).  The seller would pay the balance of Steve’s charges, then I would pay the seller the agreed upon price of the unit and receive the unit directly from Decware and have the warranty.  Maybe this is too complicated but I think it would be fair to all parties.

IP Logged
jimmieg
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 09/02/23 at 18:23:38

Yes, all of this has been on my mind as well. For now I am going to pursue getting it fixed and then come back to maybe selling it.

IP Logged
Carlsbad
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 09/02/23 at 21:44:34

Offer sent.

Decware SE84UFO w/20th mods
Grimm MU1 Streamer
Lampizator Golden Gate 3 DAC
Tekton Encore Speakers
  IP Logged
Dino
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 09/05/23 at 11:30:40

Wondering if you will be listing the amp again at a later date?

IP Logged
Dino
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 09/05/23 at 11:34:07

PM sent, thanks.

IP Logged
jimmieg
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 09/15/23 at 22:07:19

SOLD