Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 11:48:29 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
early Decware opt's as in pre ufo (Read 3169 times)
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

early Decware opt's as in pre ufo
08/17/23 at 00:40:57

Ive poked around a bit but havent really found anything substantial on the subject. Google searches just bring up a bunch of negative posts regarding physical size .

and maybe Steve's the only one with accurate descriptive words of wisdom.

what could one get excited about pre UFO opt's ? collectability ? a warmer yet less detailed sound??? that kind of stuff.

there's gotta be some gold in that silver lining someplace. people prefer different sounds for various reasons

The classified section with a pair of early Rachels for sale got me thinking about this and I didnt want to intrude on the sales thread.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: early Decware opt's as in pre ufo
Reply #1 - 08/17/23 at 01:42:41

There's a good bit of dissing and disinformation about Decware transformers out there.

I think one good source of info from Steve is on pages 10 and 11 of this Decware manual:

https://manualzz.com/doc/37360919/decware-se84ufo-owner-s-manual

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #2 - 08/17/23 at 14:59:08

I guess to me the biggest reason to be excited about pre-UFO amps is they can be upgraded to a current UFO amp.

I don't have any personal experience with any of the old amps, and certainly some people prefer the aesthetics of the white amps. But I've read many many post from people over the years being happy with the updates/upgrades Steve has made to the SE84 amps and I can't remember a single one regretting them.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/17/23 at 16:47:35

What CAJames said. I was recently going through some old threads including when the UFO was launched and the feedback was almost unanimously positive.  I dig the white aesthetic.

The only other mod that seemed to rival the UFO in popularity (or perhaps even more popular) was the Christmas Come Early mod.  I had to reacquaint myself with it after Harley mentioned it in his Torii MKV review.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 08/17/23 at 17:02:16

The quality of the steel that makes up the core and the number of laminations is what determines the size of an output transformer for a given power level. It is a 2 watt amp.  What 2 watt amplifiers are out there being compared to a Zen amp? Even the original Decware transformers were make from US grain-oriented silicon steel with lots of laminations. To put this in context, a low grade steel used to make a transformer core would be a fraction of the cost and usually over double the size to achieve the same power level at the same bandwidth.  So when you see amps with great big output transformers it could easily mean they are lower quality.  Many audiophiles are programmed that bigger is always better.

WWW   IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/17/23 at 17:24:21

" I guess to me the biggest reason to be excited about pre-UFO amps is they can be upgraded to a current UFO amp."

Understood fully. But there's also a rich history of people "modding/upgrading" things only to rediscover the magic of original components years later.

part of this curiosity is that there are a few older Decware amps available locally and a 'shootout' comparison is poking me.

IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 08/17/23 at 17:29:28

"Even the original Decware transformers were make from US grain-oriented silicon steel with lots of laminations" says Steve.

see? that's a seed.  Just need some soil, a pot and some water .

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 08/17/23 at 17:40:03

I dig the white chassis plate as well. But my new favorite is the SEWE300B color. Gorgeous in person.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #8 - 08/17/23 at 18:15:45

I run a pair of SE84C+  white amps in a mono configuration.  One amp has been fully upgraded with the UFO and 25th Anniversary mods, and the other one is still bone stock.  I plan to send in the aforementioned amp for the full upgrades at the end of the summer.  

The short answer … they are different in several ways.  There is way more detail with the Miflex caps, and in the bass region the UFO amp is tighter.  Also…to match the volume levels… the stock amp needs to be set a bit higher than the UFO amp.  

IMHO…once you hear a UFO amp…I don’t think you would want to go back to a pre UFO amp in a side by side comparison.  But in their own right….the SE84C+ and the CKC models are great sounding.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 08/17/23 at 18:49:52

"IMHO…once you hear a UFO amp…I don’t think you would want to go back to a pre UFO amp in a side by side comparison."

Valid point of view . BUT ???  do you know how many guitar amp techs in the 70s 80s even 90s  ripped out perfectly healthy Mullards , Brimars , small bottle RCA 6L6's in amps just to 'freshn' up' the amp with a nice new set of new 'pick your country' made tubes? Sure there were some decent current tubes but check prices today to determine what people consider to be 'holy grail'

What if someday?.... people covet early white or gray Decware amplifiers for 'that sound' .  Nothing wrong with having multiple choices in listening tools.

IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 08/17/23 at 18:51:27

" But in their own right….the SE84C+ and the CKC models are great sounding"

bingo !

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 08/17/23 at 19:40:43

..'Many audiophiles are programmed that bigger is always better." Well, hope my way better half never says that to me!  [smiley=beer.gif] All the best everyone~ Mike

000617d_2.jpg
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #12 - 08/17/23 at 22:39:42

Kahuna Jack…so here’s where it goes a bit deeper to another level.    I run both amps with the matched tubes.  Matched vs non matched…that’s a separate topic….and CAJAMES says it best.    

What I’m hearing by comparison is primarily a difference under the hood with different capacitors and the 25th Anniversay mods.   What Steve does when you upgrade the amps….he gives you back the stock caps.  So…if I wanted the original sound of the amp as Steve designed it back when it was originally released…. I could in fact bring it back to stock.  

I feel that the upgraded amp is more resolving and allows more of the finer detail to come through.  

The full upgrade that includes the UFO transformers, the capacitor upgrade, and the 25th Anniversay bypass mods, with a new tube set that’s mandatory if you do the warranty transfer is not cheap… it’s upwards of like $1000 dollars.   So keep that in mind.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 08/18/23 at 16:36:08

Dominick "Matched vs non matched…that’s a separate topic"

are you talking tubes themselves unmatched? or mono blocks with different transformers.

Larger often does seem to be better but smaller has been catching up for awhile now. In a collection of vintage tube amplifiers that sat in my shop ( early 90's ) there were a pair of immaculate pristine Fisher el84 monoblocks ( model 20? 30? ) just sitting there with factory paper tags on them,fully loaded with the stock bugle boys etc etc... not a single person ever asked about them as they were fixated on all the big boys ( 275's , Citation II's , Quads etc ) . I think today that may be a different story.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #14 - 08/18/23 at 17:35:16

Jack,

Sorry….should have been more clear.  I was referring to running matched tubes in my monoblocks in the previous post.  Right now I have the UFO transformers in one amp, and the stock transformers in the other amp.    I’ll be doing the full upgrades to the stock amp soon so they both match internally.  

Dom

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #15 - 10/26/23 at 21:08:15

Was nothing wrong with original OPT´s but many were and are running them in parallel mono and then there is the matching impedance to speakers to take into account... The original OPT´s were designed for lower impedance speakers so finding a good match was not easy. They could drive just about anything at 9.8k impedance but when doubled in mono that drops to 4.9k which is still a bit short of the 3-3.3k that is optimal for a 8ohm speaker to produce low-end.

"A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit..."
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16 - 10/26/23 at 21:42:49

Mike: you two are a nice looking, happy looking pair. Cheers!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #17 - 10/28/23 at 17:24:25

The original Decware output transformers were and are premium made from OFC on grain-oriented silicon steel cores made in the USA. These premium cores and the fact that the amplifier is designed for 2 watts is why they appear small to so many audiophiles.

Non-grain oriented low grade steel would require nearly double the laminations (size) to achieve the same bandwidth without hysteresis losses which is also known as 'saturation'.  

The difference between original Decware transformers, which by the way are proprietary, and the newer UFO transformers is in the interleaving.  Increased interleaving gave even wider bandwidth and flatter response.

The original transformers came in 9800 - 6 ohm which would drive nearly a dead short since 9800 is almost 3 times higher than needed for the output tube and speaker impedance is reflected backwards through the transformer to the plate of the tube, so as impedance dropped so did the primary impedance of the transformer which allowed the tube to couple more power to the speaker.  Additionally these transformers also came in 3300 - 6 which maximized power into higher impedances.  The amplifiers were ordered with either one or the other.

When bridged into the mono, the output transformer secondaries are wired in series on a Zen Triode amplifier.  This raises the secondary to 12 ohms which now operates with dual primaries and dual cores.  Because a 6 ohm speaker is 1/2 of 12 ohms, each output tube would see a reflected impedance of 1/2 the primary impedance, except there are now two primaries, each taking half the load - same thing as they saw prior to the amplifier being bridged.

The UFO transformers feature a secondary tap that allows us to have both HI and LO impedance speakers at the flip of a switch.

WWW   IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 10/28/23 at 21:01:22

Im hoping those older opt's dont get tossed. Maybe Steve you have a secret vault of them waiting for the day people crave some OG Decware butter on their pancakes : )

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print