Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/28/24 at 16:25:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Which Cartridges and to Gain or Step Up? (Read 819 times)
Kombi
Verified Member

Which Cartridges and to Gain or Step Up?
08/11/23 at 01:38:27

Hi, I have a ZP3 on order (plus a SE84UFO2 which i may upgrade, im only page 10 of the list)
I recently picked up a secondary Turntable a Thorens TD-160 (my main is a Project X2 with 2M Black) that i was going to use as my MONO table, but it such in amazing shape im thinking of taking advantage of the interchangeable head shells and using it as my main table and running a Stereo cart and a Mono cart on 2 different Headshells. So im looking to get both Carts from the same manufacturer and product line to make it work without having to adjust tonearm in anyway. For example 2m mm Ortofon Black and 2m Mono.
On reading through threads on here that the output on the 2m black is 5mv which meets minimum recommendation for the ZP3 but the mono is only 4mv and when i look at MM from Audio Technica or Nagaoka they are 4mv or even lower again. And that even when you have 5mv like the 2M Black you will probably still need to run a ZSTAGE for gain as the 5mv in, outputs less than 0.7v output of the ZP3?
So would i be better off going MC and using a ZMC Step Up prior to the ZP3 or going MM and using the ZSTAGE after the ZP3? Or no real difference in quality at the end of either of those chains?
I was hoping just go as minimal as possible. TT - Phono - Amp - Speakers as to me the less steps and cables needed the better but if i need an extra around the phono ill do it unless their is a MM that comes in stereo and mono also that has high enough Mv?

Summary, I guess what I’m asking is one better than the other in Gain or Step up? Which then decides if i go MM or MC, which leads me into my second question do you have any recommendations of matching stereo and mono cartridges?

Thanks and sorry for the wall of text.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Re: Which Cartridges and to Gain or Step Up?
Reply #1 - 08/14/23 at 18:25:08

Kombl - First off, welcome to the forums. Just a confession and a couple of comments. I do not run any mono records or gear, but it sounds like the Thorens is good table. Right now I am running an old Shinnon Red MC as both of the DV carts I have had failed (one in warranty and one out) and the Shinnon has been going strong for a long time. I run the Shinnon on a Fidelity Research FR-64S> ZMC1>ZP3>CSP3>Rachael into Omega speakers and woofer. Sounds wonderful to me, even with a cart that is a little long in the tooth. Not sure what the next cartridge will be, need to sit tight for a few more months. I think that one system, with changeable headshells makes the most sense to me. I hope someone else here will chime in with a better reply. I will attest that in my experience, and gear from Decware/Steve that you choose is designed to work together seamlessly. Happy listening and please post the path you decided on, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Kombi
Verified Member

Re: Which Cartridges and to Gain or Step Up?
Reply #2 - 08/22/23 at 06:49:41

Thanks for the reply hdrider, it looks like im going to do go with 2 seperate tables, one Stereo the other Mono,  my local HiFi shop has come up with a great trade in price for my Project X2 and a great deal on a Linn LP12 with MC. I have asked in general questions forum about running 2 tonearms/turntables and if different. MM/MC combinations with some great suggestions. So many options lol.
Hdrider Your system you shared sounds like it’s an amazing setup. Thanks again for reply.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print