Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 23:32:42 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Adjusting Volume with two knobs? (Read 2229 times)
HiFi Bri

Adjusting Volume with two knobs?
07/26/23 at 02:15:23

As I await my UFO25 on order, I've been considering volume control and trying to wrap my head around having to control volume for two channels separately.

From what I understand about speaker placement, each 1/2 inch of adjustment is important; I found this to be true as I've dialed in various loudspeakers over the years. In one room, I had the right speaker 2 - 3 inches further out into the room than the left speaker in order to create a balanced center image.

The idea of having to estimate volume for two channels so they are identical (or perfectly balanced based on speaker placement) is a little hard for me to wrap my head around. Using the speaker placement example above, it would seem that if one channel was even slightly louder than the other, it would compromise an otherwise dialed-in center image.

I'll be using the UFO25 without a preamp, at least to start. While I'm considering adding a preamp down the line (which would serve as a single, master volume control), it's highly likely I'll be fiddling with two volume knobs for a while.

Does anyone have any thoughts or insight into this? 

SE84UFO | ZRock2 w 25th Ann | Rega P3 + Groovetracer Mods | Hana EH | Darlington Labs MP7 | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZSTYX Speaker Cbls | Omega Alnico Towers | Butcherblock Acoustics RigidRack
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Adjusting Volume with two knobs?
Reply #1 - 07/26/23 at 02:26:43

I'll say this: practice makes perfect. It won't take long and you'll get a real sense for it and a feel.

I'm lucky that I have remote volume control from preamp (ZTPRE) or DAC (PS Audio DSD DAC Mk2). But I still do adjustments with the two knobs on my Taboo Mk IV, SE84UFO3 Monoblocks, and now SEWE300B.

I first use the knobs to get a great centered sound on mono material. When I get mono sounding amazing, stereo sounds amazing as a general rule. And once that "balance" is found it's really easy for me (after practice practice practice, just general repeated use) to move both knobs at one time almost exactly the same travel. It's not hard really, and when you have practiced this and listened a lot you immediately sense when it's "right". . . .

Just my 2 cents.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/26/23 at 02:51:59

To add to Lon's experienced advice, if this worries you, some more considerations, just different angles on same.

You have been balancing left/right with speaker placement. Whereas, in my experience, you can go for optimal symmetrical speaker placement and use left/right volume to balance it all for sound stage refinement. If not familiar with tube use, I occasionally have "pairs" that are a little off balance but sound great. In this case, I just up or lower one side with my CSP3 R/L gain knobs until the soundstage slots into place and blooms. Then I use the CSP3 primary gain knob for stereo/balanced gain adjustments. Once the balance is good, I don't have to think about that with gain balancing between pre and amp.

Not having had an amp like you are getting, with only right/left gain knobs, conceptually seems you could also consider stepped attenuators. Then when balance is right, you could just adjust both sides for volume with the same number of clicks, turned at the same time.

Also, if your DAC has balanced out, the ZBIT could be a good option eventually for tuning optimal voltage out of the DAC, potentiating the sonic benefits often associated with optimizing gain between gear. And if you preferred, you could probably use the stereo ZBIT pot for minor day-to-day volume adjustments, the UFO having done the balancing act. Guessing as you get used to it, you might find the dual pots are not a big deal, especially with attenuators. But if later, you get one of the pre stages, you may find "gain riding" intersting. In the case of the ZBIT, you would find the right area on the ZBIT gain for optimal clarity and speed/dynamics in how it integrates with the UFO25 and how they integrate together in your room. Then, to gain ride, turn one up, and the other down to increase or decrease weight, dynamics, lucidity, etc a little, nice for refining recording qualities to suit your room and tastes better.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing + feet
  IP Logged
HiFi Bri

Reply #3 - 07/26/23 at 04:18:49

Thanks, Lon and Will.

I don't use a DAC - I listen primarily to a turntable. That said, would something like the ZStage be an option if I wanted to have one volume knob (once I found a balance with both channels on the UFO25th)?

I did order the UFO with stepped attenuators, FWIW.

SE84UFO | ZRock2 w 25th Ann | Rega P3 + Groovetracer Mods | Hana EH | Darlington Labs MP7 | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZSTYX Speaker Cbls | Omega Alnico Towers | Butcherblock Acoustics RigidRack
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 07/26/23 at 15:25:02

I would say yes, you certainly could. The ZSTAGE will give you more than just volume control, it will give you another gain stage to adjust, which will have sonic benefits, and also give you one volume knob to turn after you have the two channels balanced as you like.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 07/26/23 at 16:05:33

Oi..............this wasn't even something I had considered might be an issue with my MKV.  I may pretend I didn't even see this discussion and go back to just listening to my music. HAHA!

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
HiFi Bri

Reply #6 - 07/26/23 at 19:14:02

It sounds like I should consider the ZStage, because aside from having a single volume control, I'm interested in riding the gain without having to purchase a pre-amp just yet.

I have a ZRock on order as well, so my thought is that the ZRock/ZStage combination placed between my phono stage and my UFO amp would serve as a sort of pre-amp, providing both volume and EQ control. I can even stack them right on top of each other and maybe differentiate the two by using black and white chickenhead knobs.

Are there any holes to poke in the above logic?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 07/26/23 at 19:23:42

This would likely be quite a nice setup.

IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 07/26/23 at 20:45:47

Many years ago, while waiting for my first amp with dual volume controls (a Torii Jr) to be built and shipped, I was experiencing a level of anxiety over this issue.  My thinking was the same as yours, and my fear was that I would never be able to get the balance right.

Once the amp was hooked up and playing music it immediately became evident that the dual volume controls had been one of the missing links to musical joy and happiness.  For the first time in more than four decades I was able to dial in the balance of every recording the way it needed to be in my listening room.  The dual controls resolved all issues with the room, my weak right ear, and most of all, recordings that were out of balance.  After a few days I wrote to Steve to tell him about it, and he said something to the effect that he was in total agreement with me on all points.

My CSP3 with 25th mods, along with several other personally requested custom modifications, has dual smooth action volume controls.  At this point in my 52 year audiophile journey, I could not be without these smooth action dual volume controls.  They are adjusted for every recording I play.  The ease of getting the balance just right in my room, for my ears, is very easy.  Not being able to control balance in this fashion would drive me insane.  I’m confident that you will feel the same after using the dual controls for a few days.  

And maybe worth noting, I once had stepped attenuators, and with those, I could not achieve the balance I was looking for on most recordings.  High quality smooth action controls are key.  If there was a loss in sound quality going from stepped attenuators to the smooth action type, I did not detect it.

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
HiFi Bri

Reply #9 - 07/26/23 at 21:12:48

Doug - thanks so much for your insight. I found it very helpful!

Perhaps I'll take your advice and live with the dual volume controls a while before spending more money. I think you've convinced me to not add the stepped attenuators...

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #10 - 07/26/23 at 21:14:05

Doug,

I couldn't have said better myself. Yes, in fact, there is often a need for some kind of adjustment. When I found a product that used a high quality answer to this 'problem', I jumped on it. Thing is, in my case it was expensive. The design included metal gears, stacked knobs, and patience to assemble. Once done, I enjoyed it immensely for a bit, but remembered that I had built this unit for sale.
Having said that, I now own a Manley Stingray that is the first component with a balance control that does not interfere with the signal when centered. Believe me, that is harder to find than you think, and the balance control as we once knew it, gave way to mono volume controls. It is still my first choice.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 07/27/23 at 01:53:46

Interesting Doug. As I pointed to, here I find that tuning balance with the R/L gain stepped attenuators I put in the CSP3 (if needed), can be slotted in for the big sound field easily, and it works across recordings. When it gets there, it is wild, like the already great soundstage just opens up and expands into a magically enhanced sound space with subtler content and differentiation throughout. Your experience makes me wonder if this is a smaller adjustment than dual attenuators on Steve's amps, which would support the smooth potentiometers experience being better for you. Anyway, thanks for your input.

Not having experienced dual potentiometers, I do like that once system/room stereo is balanced, gain settings for me are all about refining stereo gains together for system/room, and optimizing sound on various recordings. I have not noticed my system showing need for more than this to adjust sound stage. Once the system/room is balanced right, soundstage seems right across the board. But based on your experience, I can see how balance could be another tuning tool per recording. And though not costly, "tuned up" smooth potentiometers, I agree, Steve's do sound good.

On filthnoise's question about pre stages, I grabbed my ZStage from my other system and replaced my CSP3 with it.

All components are modded for speed, fine resolution and lucidity except the Zstage, and just a heads up, but this makes the ZStage better than how I remember it with all else stock, and it alters my impressions.

DAC
ZBIT (originally set a 1/2 half gain for this test, wanting to get DAC voltage closer to "normal" RCA out levels)
ZRock2 (not far above unity but doing its thing on highs and lows using the B setting)
ZStage
Simple Wave 300B (wide open, no attenuator)

To max this amp out before notable distortions, at these settings, and with a nice Zaerix Mullard 12AT7, higher gain compared to 12AU7 stock, the ZStage needs to be at about 90%. On first impressions it sounds quite good. However, for me this near-max pre-stage gain is usually not optimal, typically liking them less than maxed individually. For gain tuning between stages, I seem to prefer the sound when no stage is past maybe 70-80% and usually less... seems to me spreading the gain that the amp gets around between stages is where I find more optimal complex sound.

Sounds really good, not as richly complex and complete in subtleties as with my CSP3, but quite good with pretty great clarity, body, dynamics, space and balance.

Playing some, I found I prefer the sound with the ZBIT ±1-2 o'clock, which puts the Zstage at maybe 70-80% for my amp to reach max volume before distortions (depending on recordings). This higher gain from the source seems to stress the ZStage a little less, while bringing up dynamics, density/body, lucidity, etc to levels I prefer... all else the same, the even better sound perhaps being one I could work pretty easily with if I did not have the CSP3. I need a lot of time working with different recordings and settings to determine something like this conclusively, but it sounds really good on 1st perusal in this setup.

So... a consideration, the output voltage of your phonostage may not make or break it, but would likely effect the optimal tuning potential of this setup. At some point, a lower voltage source could set up noticeably less benefits in gain tuning than with a higher voltage source, and/or, it could get to where you are unable to reach full volume, perhaps important if on volume edges for system/room and listening preferences. For gain riding, I like to have some usable ranges for each stage, better able to tune dynamics/density/clarity/hit and all.

In this setting though, ZBIT ±1:30, ZRock2 maybe a notch above unity, and ZStage ± 70%, this is about as loud as this amp can go without notable distortions, and it has relatively neutral balances and headroom to gain ride from.

Now, to test this setup, I am listening to a recording I know will push things at max volume "before distortion." It reminds me of the thin edge that can come from gain riding, especially since for me, pushing edges is seductive, as it seems the sweetest lucidity comes with gains near edges. This "edge" is based too on recordings, variable to say the least. A setup can seem good, but then not so good with powered up recordings. This recording is quite dynamic, full, and complex, with big hits, and some distortions intentional in the recording (think fuzz box), so a decent test for me. It is Bugge Wesltoft-Henrik Schwarz-Dan Berglund  "Trialogue."

With the above settings, I was noticing a fine distortion that might not go away easily from reducing gains at high listening levels. I was thinking perhaps it was from the ZStage itself in this particular setup, bringing up memories of having to turn down my player software with a DAC that had high output in order to solve subtle distortions when I was using only the Zstage as an additional stage for gain tuning. So I pulled the higher gain 12AT7, and put in a nice "RCA" Mullard 12AU7. Adjusting the ZStage gain up a little to compensate, so far that seems to have solved that niggling subtle distortion from this particular recording.

This presents a potential challenge from using gain stages.... how well they match up, and how hard they push each other, especially if you prefer the edge sound, or need it to get satisfying volume. And over time, the more stages I add together, the more having some flexibility and headroom with each stage for overall gain tuning becomes important.

Last, is hum/buzz. I am working it pretty hard just now, so I am sensitized, but since I got my new amp, along with some utility power changes, the hum increased here. It was even audible at times at the seat without music, under maxed conditions, and with my movie source setup, which is noisier than my audio setup. And the work I have done got it under relative control, enough not hear it unless close to the speakers most of the time, and having everything pretty cranked up. But still I would prefer none.

The utility power change made voltage more stable on our road, but increased variable hum, so I figured this was a good chance to go over everything and fix it as best I can. And the new 300B amp, guessing it is probably contributing from increased transformer fields from it's massive transformers (relative to my Torii), and from being "wide open," so amplifying noise before it more. On investigation though, I found the 300B is almost completely silent fed directly by the ZBIT/DAC only. Then the CSP3 pretty cranked added some, but still pretty quiet.

So I figured the 300B being wide open, and the CSP3 set high, both would be amplifying ZRock noise, the only stage left in this noise evaluation. I verified this switching in and bypassing the ZRock2... bypassed there was almost no noise. So I started working on it with noise in mind, taking it as far as I can for now, and with pretty good success.

More experiments to come, but if I turn up things near max, what noise is left is most times pretty mild, and the ZStage in the place of the CSP3 is about the same... Usually, my ear 1-2 feet from to the speaker, I can pick up noise, but sometimes less, sometimes a little more, seemingly with grid shifts??? But where I was going... Here, gain stages cranked up near, or at max, and after noise, reveal noise proportionately more in perception for me. It seems something like the last 10-20% on the attenuator punches up perceived noise in my current system. But when all is good, I love using a variety of gain stages.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing + feet
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 07/27/23 at 05:04:44

Great thread—with lots of fantastic feedback and the ‘aha’ moment w.r.t. using a ZBIT with dual stepped attenuators as an alternative method to achieve optimal channel balancing.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print