Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/27/24 at 08:27:45 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lii Song F15 drivers mounted flush? (Read 776 times)
Micklark
Verified Member

Lii Song F15 drivers mounted flush?
07/12/23 at 00:28:22

When I got the baffles for my ZF15M clones cut for me according to the plans/specs I purchased, I thought the Lii 15" drivers mounted flush on the surface. The baffles were delivered first from the craftsman who cut them for me out of 40mm thick oak tabletops he also supplies -- and he did a very good job. Even Danish oiled them for me.

A little later, the drivers from Lii Song arrived and I realised that they stand proud of the surface. What the heck, I thought, might as well mount them like that.

After a few weeks, the speakers came on song and I think they sound absolutely glorious. Heard nothing like them before and am completely hooked.

That said, I have this nagging thought: would they sound even better if I routed a channel for them on the outside of the hole and mounted them flush?

What do you think?

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Re: Lii Song F15 drivers mounted flush?
Reply #1 - 07/12/23 at 00:47:27

Most folks mount the F15 on the rear of the baffle with a rounded edge on the front. Have you tried this way?

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Micklark
Verified Member

Re: Lii Song F15 drivers mounted flush?
Reply #2 - 07/12/23 at 02:24:23

No -- I didn't want to do it that way because to make the front curve reasonably shallow, I'd have to cut deep into the back and my worry was that it might weaken the baffle too much. So I'd always planned to have them flush on the surface.

The cutaway on the front won't have to be so deep and hence, I think, wouldn't weaken the baffle as much. That's my reasoning, anyway.

But my question is a bit different -- would mounting them flush make the drivers sound even better, do you think?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print