Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/06/24 at 05:50:34 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Be careful buying Sophia Electic tubes (Read 3968 times)
astro-chris
Seasoned Member

Be careful buying Sophia Electic tubes
06/29/23 at 00:12:09

Just a warning to all.  I bought a Sophia Electric 274b mesh plate rectifier to use in my Dennis Had Inspire LP-2 preamp. I purchased it direct from Sophia; it was listed on their discount page. It was sold as brand new, yet only carried a 1-month warranty.  Well, after 5 months, it just died.  That's $200 down the drain Sad  Potential buyers beware.  I spent 3 days with Dennis trying to troubleshoot the issue I was having, never suspecting a nearly brand new tube would fail.
Chris

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Re: Be careful buying Sophia Electic tubes
Reply #1 - 06/29/23 at 01:08:16

That’s a bummer! My Sophia is still going strong 11 months in. Did you speak with Sue?

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 06/29/23 at 01:19:17

I've read that the Mesh is not a good fit in many components. . . . It's possible you were using it in a component it did not have the right resistor onboard for it.

I've used the Aqua 274B for five years. I've used one pair nearly continuously all that time with no problems--but the Aqua is compatible, being a lot like a 5U4G--the Mesh 274B is different electrically.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/29/23 at 01:44:01

Yes the mesh plate still appears to be designed for lower value caps, like 10 uF I think?

I agree, the last version of the Aqua solid plate is theoretically compatible with our higher value rectifier caps used in a lot of Decware...supposed to tolerate 47uF and be a direct 5U4G replacement. And some folks have had really good luck with it, but I wonder if that is extra-ordinary. Don't I recall others who had failures on the forum using the same more tolerant solid plate Aqua version? Maybe Joman was one, but I think others???

Recently I was using them in my new/used 300B, and saw one of the 274B Aquas flash on a couple of startup occasions... I think this amp has a 50uF cap with the rectifier, so a few microfarads higher than 47, and 47 being used in a lot of Decware as I recall??? They are still working, but worrisome how these tubes appear to be a little touch and go for these larger caps.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing + feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 06/29/23 at 01:54:16

Here is what Sophia Electric says on their page for this product:

Note(*): 274B is a direct heating tube. The indirect heating 5AR4 may turn on slower; however, people who buy 274B are for its superior sonic performance. To fully utilize its benefits, it may require the first stage capacitor (capacitor input) to be less than 10MFD; otherwise, it would shorten the 274B life span (very much like smoking is bad for your health). It would not be a problem with common choke input. Please consult your amplifier maker or refer to a tube manual. This 274B is an update of the NOS WE 274B, so both share the same characteristics.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
astro-chris
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/29/23 at 02:23:22

It sounded fantastic; that I have to say.  it was replacing a 5Y3GT.  However, I checked with Dennis Had before purchasing it to use in his LP-2 preamp, and it said it was a perfect fit and others had used it there with success, so it seems I just bought a dud tube.
Oh well. Just my bad luck, I guess.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 06/29/23 at 02:28:45

This is what I think I have been noticing since the start of the popularity and fears over Sophia rectifiers... they seem a little close to the edges, sometimes fine and sometimes not... which to me is not good.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing + feet
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 06/29/23 at 03:25:19

I’ve had nothing but fantastic experiences with Sophia Electric tubes, including multiple 274B Aquas, a pair of 2.5 volt 300B’s, and a current pair of 300B Classics. In addition, I have been given great tube advice by both Sue and Richard.  

For me, an important aspect of buying tubes is having a substantial warranty in place at purchase.  Though I’ve not seen any Sophia tube fail in the first year, I will continue to buy Sophia tubes only with their one year warranty.

As Kamran suggested, it might be worth your time to chat with Sue.  If they won’t replace the tube for free, and I doubt they will, they very well may give you a nice discount on another one.  

So…….sorry to hear about the premature failure of your Sophia 274B.  This is the very reason many have a love-hate relationship with tubes and tube equipment.  We love the sound quality, but pretty much hate everything else about tubes and tube gear. Maybe that’s being a bit harsh, but I have spent at least $10,000 on tubes during the past thirty plus years and it has driven me nearly to the point of insanity.  

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #8 - 06/29/23 at 04:35:12

I’ve never owned a Sophia rectifier (or any other of their tubes) myself, but I know plenty of people who do/have. Virtually all of them love the sound but several of them, and I’m pretty sure Joman was one, have had premature failures. The majority don’t have problems, but enough do that it gives me pause considering the alternatives available for the cost, or at least what was available a few years ago when I was stocking up. I freely admit that I’m biased against any current production tubes and it may be that quality NOS is now expensive enough that Sophia is a realistic option even given the somewhat spotty QA history. JMO FWIW YMMV and all that.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 06/29/23 at 04:59:26

To Doug’s point, I also opted for their highest (longest?) warranty available for my Aqua 274B.  Can’t recall now, whether that was 1 yr or longer at this point. Not saying that guarantees longevity, but it definitely decreases the probability of a premature failure and recourse if it does.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #10 - 06/29/23 at 05:08:10

Lon said above:

....To fully utilize its benefits, it may require the first stage capacitor (capacitor input) to be less than 10MFD; otherwise, it would shorten the 274B life span...

Can someone unpack that statement and relate it to Deware amps in general or more specifically to a SE84UFO25?

Thanks

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #11 - 06/29/23 at 16:15:54

Quote:
Posted by: Tony      Posted on: Yesterday at 21:08:10

....To fully utilize its benefits, it may require the first stage capacitor (capacitor input) to be less than 10MFD; otherwise, it would shorten the 274B life span...

Can someone unpack that statement and relate it to Deware amps in general or more specifically to a SE84UFO25?

A bottom line is all the UFO amps have a 47 uF input capacitor.

That part is unambiguous, what you do about it gets more fuzzy. If you want to play by the "rules" the two common rectifiers that are spec'd for a 47 uF input capacitor are the 5U4G and 5AR4 aka GZ34. If you buy those (assuming they meet the spec for a new tube) you are playing by the rules and done all you can. Maybe...

But, at least IMO, the real situation is more complicated. The rectifier can't know and doesn't care specifically what the the value of the input capacitor is. What it cares about is the so called "inrush current" that it sees as the input cap gets  charged up when you turn on your amp. The bigger the input cap the bigger the inrush current. And while it is possible to calculate the current based on some assumptions I think it is fair to say the capacitor value is more of a guideline than a rule. And hence the complication/ambiguity/confusion.

I just checked the datasheet for one of the few current production tubes I own, the Genalex Gold Lion GZ34 and it doesn't specify the input cap, it specifies the "current surge at turn on" which is 3.7 amps which is a really big number. Many NOS rectifiers (from back when more people cared about datasheets and read them carefully) specify both a max input cap and a max current value and in many cases they are wildly inconsistent. The example I point to is what many consider the ultimate 5U4 type rectifier, the Western Electric 422A. The datasheet specs are a max input cap of 8 uF and a max input current of 4 amps (!!!!). So if you have a UFO amp and are considering a 422A rectifier (which would cost as much as your amp) you have to decide if the 8 uF first cap spec would scare you away or the 4 amp current spec would give you confidence that the rectifier is more than up to the task. I would go by the latter.

My bottom line is many (most) common NOS rectifiers are spec'd for relatively small input caps, typically much smaller than 47 uF, but for big inrush currents, typically at least 1 amp. Likely much bigger than the UFO amp will ever see (for higher powered amps I suspect the situation is similar, but I can't say for sure). Also, tubes made during the "golden age of tube tech" often greatly exceed their datasheet requirements, which are a minimum requirements tube must meet to be considered "good". Current production is much more of a question, again JMO YMMV.

So, lots of people use lots of different rectifiers in their UFO amps a usually they last a long time. But there are no guarantees (well some tubes are sold with guarantees, but what I'm talking about is their actual service life), for good or bad. Any tube, and esp. any rectifier is subject to failure at any time. And any tube, even the cheapest current production Chinese, can give you years of trouble free service. That's what you sign up for when you buy a tube amp.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 06/29/23 at 16:26:40

And in the case of the OP he is using a Dennis Had amp and been in contact with Dennis. So it's possible the tube failure is on the tube?

All I can say is that my experience with the Sophia Electric tubes is extremely positive in both sonic output and reliability and it is sad to read of opposite experiences.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #13 - 06/29/23 at 16:30:24

Thanks, CAJames.

From one with little technical knowledge, and endless curiosity, I found your "unpacking" very helpful, and it also points me in some other directions to explore.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 06/30/23 at 12:37:15

The problem may be that yours was the "mesh plate" version:

"Sophia Electric Princess mesh plate 274B and rigid plate 274B tubes have been widely praised as the best sounding rectifier tubes ever made. However there is a catch - the first capacitor after the rectifier tube needs to be small. The max value allowed for the Princess 274B mesh plate is 4uf, or 8uf for the Princess 274B rigid plate. But for a typical 300B single ended amplifier, it is usually larger than 8uf. To overcome this limitation, Sophia Electric came out with a newly designed Aqua 274B rectifier tube to raise the limitation from 8uf to 47uf. This Aqua 274B can directly replace 5U4G in most amplifiers with great sonic improvement.

Aqua and WE 274B tubes would deliver 150ma-160ma of current at 430vDC per 274B tube.

Stereo 300B tube amplifier needs to have one 274B rectifier tube per channel, two 274B rectifier tubes for two channels.  If the amp was designed to have only one rectifier tube for both channels, then 5U4G is more suitable."

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
hmss007
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 08/02/23 at 16:45:17

I wish I had come across this thread before I purchased my Sophia Electric 274B mesh plate. I have it in my Inspire by Dennis Had Fire-Bottle Kleen-Sweep amp. So far, it's working great and I haven't had any issues - so I'll keep my fingers crossed I am in the camp with good luck.

It does sound great, and as the OP said, Dennis very much endorses the tube and says it works great with his amps.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #16 - 08/02/23 at 22:56:22

I went down this huge rabbit hole years ago when I was inquiring about the EML mesh plate rectifiers.  Similar scenario here.  There was a big to do about the first stage capacitor being a certain value.  I do believe Joman had jumped in at the time, and possibly even Steve as well.    If I can find the thread, I’ll post it.  

Anyway…it was discussed that if a Variac was used to gently slow start the amp….then that would be a big help.   Any thoughts on this approach?  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 08/02/23 at 23:54:42

Quote:
Virtually all of them love the sound but several of them, and I’m pretty sure Joman was one, have had premature failures

Yes that is correct CA.  

We're in the process of a move and I thought that I should see what's happening on the Forum and came across this thread.  I'll digress a little first... I concur in what CA stated about the first cap value and the risks associated with tubes.

As far as Sophia tubes...

Yes, good sounding tubes.  I purchased 2 274B at the same time, one was a back up.  One failed at the end of the first year.  The second, a back up that I bought, didn't use, failed on start up.  When I called Sophia Electric, the second tube, the back up, was also out of warrantee and didn't qualify for consideration.  I was offered a discount on a replacement.

My issue with Sophia Electric wasn't the fact that the tubes failed.  My issue was that I felt that under these circumstances the second tube should have been replaced N/C, I was more than willing to pay for the cost of shipping.  That is known as a "good will warrantee" and that type of warrantee is more important to me than what is written on a document because documents often contain "fine print".

To be clear, I take the same approach on anything that I buy.  It isn't limited to Sophia Electric.  It's about the company policy regardless of what the item is.  A rigid application of a warrantee under any circumstances is not the type of policy that is a good fit for me and so I avoid purchases of anything that falls in that context.

If that second tube would have been replaced N/C, not including the cost of shipping, I still might be buying Sophia Electric tubes, at least until Cryotone, it was a good sounding tube.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18 - 08/03/23 at 00:00:29

I can understand that. I've had a number of Aqua 274Bs and have been using three for five years or so now without incident. A fourth I had used on and off and it arced (and I thought died but didn't though it blew a fuse) when I first powered on my SEWE300B. It turns out it arcs on start up but plays fine in the SEWE300B and other components but I put it away. I had yet one more brand new in the box that I am now using without any incident at all in the SEWE300B and sounds the best of all the dozen or so rectifiers I tried in that amp.

So really I have nothing to complain about and really good use history. . . and the sounds is amazing for me, an anchor tube for me. If needed I'll buy them again.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #19 - 08/03/23 at 00:06:16

Quote:
Posted by: Dominick      Posted on: Today at 14:56:22

Anyway…it was discussed that if a Variac was used to gently slow start the amp….then that would be a big help.   Any thoughts on this approach?  

Sure, using a Variac would absolutely make life easier on the rectifier. But everything has a price and I would be afraid that it would slow down the transient response, at least, by limiting the current into the amp. That is based on theory, not actual experience.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print