Send Topic Print
Good=Loud? (Read 1500 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Good=Loud?
06/26/23 at 22:42:45

A couple of months aga a business acquaintance asked me about building him a "system" for his man-cave.

Well as to not scare him off over price, I recommended him to pick up a pair of inexpensive speakers, a Bluetooth amplifier, and a 15" subwoofer from Parts Express for maybe $500, probably less.

My thoughts being that he wouldn't have sticker shock and if needed, later on down the road I could build him another pair of speakers to really make it sound better.

Fast forward to today with me driving up to his place almost to Peoria to listen to what he had.  I also took my garage speakers along to give him a taste of what was possible.

His man cave/ shop was absolutely stunning, very well done and tastefully decorated.

Anyway we played his system and he told me that it was a little disappointing to him. I then put in my Garage Rockers and the sound was easily 25% better, you get what you pay for with better drivers and better construction.

I asked him what he thought about it then and he said that it needed to be louder.

I measured the room and it was pulling 102dB! The sub was rattling the stuff on the wall noticeably!

He finally told me that a good sounding stereo to him was rock concert loud.

So I guess Loud=Good to the average man on the street.

I guess I should be looking at sound reinforcement type gear for him.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Good=Loud?
Reply #1 - 06/27/23 at 00:04:58

I have encountered that too: good equals LOUD. And most often these are persons who only listen to hard rock etc. And a few times the sound was pretty okay for that, really loud. . . if you listened in another room. Put on folk, jazz, classical, songwriter etc. . . not so good at all.

But in each case they were proud of what they were putting out. Okay then!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #2 - 06/27/23 at 00:41:47

It's comical isn't it? For decades we all have been hearing 'Bobs new stereo' that can rattle and shake the windows. For myself, I will admit that I do listen loud even these days, and to be honest, it isn't just about my aged hearing. It has often seemed that many speakers don't really sound as good at a lower volume and must be turned up to get what you would appreciate for performance. I recently have moved to a tubed integrated amp, and fortunately I have noticed already that the volume doesn't have to be as high as before. This is closer to what I need to accomplish.
It is a mixed bag, this volume stuff. A room saturates as well as the audio equipment that is producing the music. I rarely if ever get to that volume level, but I do remember this to be part of the problem.
Unfortunately, I also find that recordings can be too soft until the volume is ramped up and then too loud after that! Classical can be one of the hardest cases to balance for me. Piano as well, depending on the movement being played. Midnight Sonata is wonderful followed by a FFFF demonstration following that piece.
I do have better experience with headphones in general though, for obvious reasons. Oh, to have the hearing of my youth back again.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #3 - 06/27/23 at 04:16:28

OMG 102 dB! I'm in a small, but open room and 80 dB is tops for me. My measurements might not be perfect, but still that's hard to imagine.

To each their own.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/27/23 at 18:57:35

I was just listening to a 1972 Decca recording of Radu Lupu playing Beethoven’s famous C sharp minor sonata while reading this Good equals Loud string, and decided to check the SPL levels.  The first few notes of the first movement were in the upper 50’s decibel range with a low reading of 57 db, and much of the third movement was in the mid to upper 90’s db range with a peak of 98 db.  In my room that was a fairly loud third movement, but not as loud as the actual performance would have been sitting 8 to 10 feet in front of a big Steinway.  

Fairly often I listen at actual concert levels because it’s exhilarating and transports me to a live event. Concert grand pianos, full size modern orchestras, brass bands, string quartets, electric blues bands, tenor and soprano soloists, etc. etc. etc., are all very loud, and that’s the way I like to listen.  Call me crazy, and probably def down the road, but listening at lifelike volume levels makes the musical experience far more enjoyable.  I’ve always thought of Loud as one of the many aspects of Good sound!

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
effluviography
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/27/23 at 22:17:13

80db is usually my limit too, give or take a few. I already have a bit of tinnitus from years of drumming, so don't want to make it any worse.

Live music is live music - I usually don't think of trying to recreate it at home. A hifi set up is, for me, about a nuanced, textural, aural experience. Not recreating something else. It is its own thing.

|| Mini-Torii & CSP-3 | Analog: ZP-3, Technics SL-1210GR & Ortofon 2m Black | Digital: Z-Box, Denafrips Ares 2, Iris DDC, Roon & Mac Mini | Omega CAM's & Deep-Hemp Sub | ZMF Atticus | 2x Emotiva CMX-6 | Decware Styx, Power & IC's | Supra Exc. USB | NOS Tubes ||
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 06/27/23 at 22:30:08

Doug, your description is a lot like mine might be.

I almost always go for a "real" sound. My litmus test. Can my system make it sound (almost) like there is music playing here?

I grew up as a headbanger, but my father had country music or bluegrass playing every Saturday night in our home. Live musicians in our living room, giving it Hell!

Even a near proximity, all acoustic bluegrass band can reach stunning dB levels in a closed environment. I loved it! Headbanging to Steppenwolf, Hendrix or Led Zeppelin aside! It was real live music in my own home! I loved it!

I have greatly increased my music appetite and I now enjoy all forms of music. Possible exception being much of the modern hip hop and rap. No appetite for that genre at all.

When I listen to some hot jazz, I often find my levels are too loud for some, but if I measured it would be in the 80db range for some peaks.

Classical, I often get well above those levels, looking for that concert experience. Sound pressure levels as you described are necessary to even come close to a live performance level.

Then there are times when I want to feel my pant legs flap around from the sound pressure listening to some good old pounding rock music. That is still inside me, even at my age, and it surfaces fiercely sometimes with leather on.

I don't have a formula or any sugestions for our original poster, but I want my music to fool me into thinking that it is as real as I can make it sound.
That takes way more doing than just being loud.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print